The Big Picture: The Best Movies of 2012

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
TheDrunkNinja said:
Also, I am rather confused because I could have sworn that Bob said he liked Paranorman even better than the Avengers. This is supposed to be a subjectively based list, isn't it?
That was his opinion straight after seeing it, though. Once someone has been given even more time to think about a film, their opinions can shift slightly. This is probably why some of the newer films can be found near the top.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I want Bob to make a video or column going over what he thought of the movies on his "most anticipated" list from last year, though that doesn't seem to matter, since quite a few of them are already covered here in this list.

10.) Maybe I'll check this movie out someday..

9.) This one, too. Even though I don't care for new Family Guy or The Cleveland Show (at least not that much), I think American Dad is surprisingly witty with it's jokes. Not to mention, I totally agree that Seth MacFarland is a genuinely talented guy, from comedian to voice actor to an INCREDIBLE singer.

8.) Totally good movie, and I don't usually watch serious dramas... Maybe now I will, because of this movie! What Bob said is basically true, Lincoln was on the right side, yet he had to kind of "work the system to his advantage" because it was a different time, and people weren't willing to go in the "right" direction, as it were. There's a lot of moral grayness here, and I actually kind of like that, at least in this movie.

7.) Still REALLY want to check this out, even though I'm not a fan of horror movies... I've heard more good things about it since Bob's review (as well as some not-so-good things, but whatever).

6.) Definitely one of MY favorite movies of the year, if not number one! I've seen it at LEAST twice already!

5.) Again, passed this one by, mostly because I couldn't find anyone to go see this movie with me... :(

4.) I have heard a LOT of negative things about The Hobbit since I saw it. Honestly, I really do like it! Maybe I really should track down and watch it in 46 fps just to see what everyone's bitching about, but I still found it to be an entertaining movie!

3.) DAMMIT, I need to see this movie, but nobody wants to see it with me! Luckily, a co-worker of mine wants to see it, too, so I can probably go see it, too.

2.) My mom wanted to see this with me... but we never made the time... probably because she wanted to read the book first... Either way, I'll definitely have to rent it or watch it on pay-per-view.

I think I can guess what number 1 is...

1.) Eeyup. Called it. Fun, awesome movie!

I can't wait to see what Bob's worst movies of 2012 are!

mariomario

Nov 22, 2009
This is a pretty good damn list. I was surprised by Casa de Mi Padre, but then I remembered how I was laughing in my seat the whole time.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Wow those were some unsurprising choices especially number 1 .
Also about wreck it ralph I don?t think Vanellope was supposed to be a parody of 90 style cute kid character she just was one still really liked the movie and I hope they make a sequel preferably taking place in my pc.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Actually, yeah, not a single problem with that list. All great movies. Can't wait to see what makes the other list.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Strain42 said:
Worst of 2012?

I can't wait to see the new Spiderman make that list.

Well lemme rephrase that, I can't wait to watch angry forum posters get oddly defensive about the fact that a purely subjective list that is based completely on one man's opinion has a movie that you may not agree with.
The funny thing is that Amazing Spider-Man is actually better than Spider-Man 2 or Spider-Man 3... sure, subjective opinions ahoy, but if you're looking at it purely from a critical angle, the only thing really keeping it from being better than the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man is the fact that the writing for the Green Goblin was miles better than the story arc for The Lizard, and that the CGI used for The Lizard's face is completely ridiculous.

OT: When I saw Cloud Atlas at #2 I actually had to ask myself what Bob was going to put at #1, then The Avengers popped up and I went "Oh yeah."

It was a fun movie, but as I've previously mentioned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.396822-Top-5-Movies-Of-The-Year#16166986], I wouldn't put it in my Top 5.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Eww, Lincoln made the best movies list?!

Lincoln was HORRIBLE. Lincoln wasn't about Lincoln, it was a boring period piece that attempts to take an event we have known the outcome of for about 150 years now, and attempt to make it dramatic. Oh my, who is going to vote YAY and NAY?? I'm on the edge of my seat! No really, I was on the edge of my seat, because I was falling asleep and sliding out of my chair. Its was LITERALLY as entertaining as turning on C-SPAN for 2 hours, no lie.

Lincoln is one of two movies I've almost walked out on in my lifetime (its not something I like to even think about as self imposed movie buff)....the other, was Batman & Robin. Yes, I think Lincoln is AS bad or WORSE...than Batman & Robin.

Lincoln doesn't even get a decent on screen death, truly a pathetic piece of directing that shows that poor Spielberg's best days are LONG behind him. DDL was great as Lincoln though, great acting, just a terrible film.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
i have not seen any of those movies. i really don't watch many movie these days anyway. i do plan on at least seeing the hobbit

Blood Brain Barrier said:
Bob needs to start watching some good movies and not only mainstream crap.
what you said said sounds very hipsterish?

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Cabin in the Woods was the worst movie I ever saw, and I have seen Birdemic: Shock and Terror. The only people who found that movie edgy or game changing, won't be born until 2046. To everyone else, what that movie had to say was old news.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
i have not seen any of those movies. i really don't watch many movie these days anyway. i do plan on at least seeing the hobbit

what you said said sounds very hipsterish?
Maybe, but I didn't mean that anything mainstream can't be good. All his movies are big blockbusters from the multimillion studios. Why?

Crimson_Dragoon said:
Moonrise Kingdom?
Amour?
Beasts of the Southern Wild?

See that's what confuses me about this list. Bob said a few months ago that Moonrise Kingdom and Beasts of the Southern Wild were the best movies of the year so far (he even did an Intermission on them). And while I get that most of the movies on this list came out after them, I find it strange that they got knocked off altogether.
Who are we kidding. Is there any chance bob isn't being paid for selecting these movies for his list?

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Damn right!

Not looking forward to hearing Spider-Man hit number one and Bob going ape on it again, though.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
While I will never say that you can be wrong on a ''my favorites list'' I will say that I was surprised that he put The Avengers on the #1 spot. It was definitley genre-defiying, but he said it himself, iconography can only get you so far, and I do think that while good, it doesn't make first. Second in my case.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
Good choices, though I'm a little disappointed that you decided to put Ted on there, mainly because I absolutely loath Seth MacFarlane and every art crime he chooses to cough up. I would probably have given The Hobbit the #1 spot, though. I loved The Avengers, but Peter Jackson's latest masterpiece feels a bit more... meaningful. For lack of a better term.

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
I'll put my eye-rolling about The Avengers aside (okay, one gripe: Awesome fight scenes? Oh, please: the opening sequence of TDKR was more imaginative and suspenseful than ANYTHING in The Avengers) and say that I saw The Hobbit, and really? The fourth-best movie of the year?

The Hobbit bugged the hell out of me. It was too long (admittedly, I'm not a Tolkien fan), and there were a lot of contrivances that made me say "oh. come. ON." repeatedly (for instance, the two sequences with the horses...they basically turned the horses into a plot point rather than an organic part of the story), and then every fight sequence where nobody could end up separated for too long, or no danger was particularly lethal.

It was like Peter Jackson took lessons in ridiculous from Zack Snyder. And I'm someone who LIKED both 300 and Sucker Punch!

To be fair, The Unexpected Party was done really well, as well as The Game. And frankly, the scene with Gandalf and the elves and you-know-who...well, there was a LOT of awesome on that screen. And Martin Freeman was a-freaking-dorable.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Really disappointed in this list but I respect the choices. I completely forgot that Avengers was a 2012 movie but, for all the praise lavished upon it by fanboys/girls, I can't see it but anything other than a decent summer action blockbuster. I liked TDKR better personally, if only because it felt more suspenseful than putting a bunch of superheroes into a room together.

Also, why in the world is Django on there? No real intentions on seeing it but this movie, of all of them, made it onto the list? Really? Skyfall should have taken its place in the list, particularly because you loved Skyfall so much (and I as well).

Things I've learned: Movie Bob is rather inconsistent with his picks and choices. I like what he has to say but can never understand the overall message about the movie. Rather frustrating.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
The Avengers was so uninteresting to me that I actually forgot that it came out this year.

I think the only real effect it had on me was a personal re-evaluation of the superhero genre in comics and how bland and unimaginative I was finding it.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Katatori-kun said:
Really Bob? Really? Avengers at #1?

I mean, yeah, it was a fun movie. It was a good vehicle for summertime popcorn calories. But #1? The movie had no spirit, no heart. And no amount of Whedon-esque quipping is going to make up for that. Maybe it deserves some praise for its technical writing achievements, but to say it redefined it's genre is stretching things a tad. I know the Internet atheists love to bash on Prometheus, but at least it gave me something to think about after I left the theater. Avengers was fluff- fun, but it ultimately it didn't stimulate a single brain cell after the credits rolled. And I'm not saying that mindless fun is bad, but seeing as how Bob is usually all about trying to promote the smart movies, it's a little disappointing to see him not give his #1 spot to one of those.
I got more of a post-credits intellectual impact out of Ghost Rider: Spirits of Vengeance than The Avengers. And I agree that the movie had no spirit or heart, and that it's stretching to say the movie redefined the Genre. At best, the Avengers showed that it is possible to have a whole universe of interconnected movies instead of a single line of sequels.