The Big Picture: The Big Spoiler: Iron Man 3

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Big Spoiler: Iron Man 3

Massive spoilers concerning Iron Man 3 ahead so consider yourself warned.

Watch Video

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
A fair argument. I think it was similar to the scene with Tony and the kid; you'd think you would hate it, but in actuality, you end up liking it.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I actually prefer the realism and I hate when comics just drop all pretense of any kinda good story just to do something that will sell. You and me Bob have very different tastes, you just like to see shit happen I like development.

Though I agree on the Mandarin thing for this movie since it makes more sense from a logical perspective.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
I absolutely loved this twist! It was completely unexpected, and was absolutely hilarious, yet kind of terrifying all at once!

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
"Oh no, not the hammer!"

Hah, yes! This definitely needs to happen. Someone get Marvel on the phone right this instant, because whatever they've shot of Avengers 2 has now become garbage.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
NOOO DAMN YOU BOB HOW COULD YOU SPOIL IRON MAN 3 FOR ME? I HAD NO IDEA THERE WOULD BE SPOILERS! lol

anyway, as someone who hasn't read the comics, obviously I didn't see the twist coming, but I thought it was great, the only disappointing thing in the movie I think was that James Rhodes became the Iron Patriot, I know it was never likely but if we couldn't have Norman Osbourne I was hoping they'd use Captain America as the Patriot, although again I always knew that was very unlikely

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
I had my issues with some other parts of the film, but the Twist was actually really well done, I just wish they'd developed Pierce a bit more, since he suffers from the same Green lantern "weak man gets power goes evil" BS.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Conveniently cuts before we can really hear your british accent impression, good editing.

Anyways, thanks for that video. I seriously had no idea who the Mandarin was, I get why fans if his would hate the twist. I compared the feeling before with how I felt about Ra's in Batman Begins, which you also brought up. But even though you rationalized, I still imagine the disappointment felt the same to many.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
good video but im surprised that alot of people are not talking about the satire in that plot point, it mirror the way al lot of country used known terrorist as hate figures to force public opinion. i guess because it was pretty well layed out in the film they dont feel the need.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
A Chinese supervillain with magic rings would probably be more interesting then a fire breathing arms dealer but i still loved this twist. One of the few things i didn't like about Iron man 3 was how the Mandarin was just a Chinese Bin laden. I don't think terrorist make for good villains in fiction so he annoyed me, i'd rather have ''another guy in suit'' then him. The scary terrorist really being a nearly drunk, clueless idiot pleased me a great deal. That and he's just funy.

Its just a shame the real villain turned out to be even more boring then the archtypical terrorist.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
The main reason I don't like this twist is because they do such a good job at building up this character of the Mandarin, they surround him in a lot of mystery, and then when he just turns out to be some drunken douchebag playing the Mandarin, it felt like an enormous let down. I guess Killian's reasonnig makes sense: rule the world from behind the scenes, because otherwise you'll make yourself a target, and just create a face that doesn't exist. Sure, but I still feel like they could have done something more interesting with this.

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
I personally loved the plot twist in Iron Man 3 and I really loved Bob's idea for Avengers 2. The last part of this video made my day.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Am I the only one that saw Killian more as Fin Fang Fum? The fire breathing, the dragon tattoos, the him "making" the Mandarin. (because his rings were from Fin Fang Fum's crashed ship)

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Loved the pitch at the end - and while unlikely to happen, then I can definitely imagine quite a few fanfic writers taking up the torch on that one

rickynumber24

Feb 25, 2011
Xelien said:
Conveniently cuts before we can really hear your british accent impression, good editing.
FYI, that's a pretty typical Boston accent from anyone who grew up somewhere other than the couple of suburbs populated largely by people who moved in from elsewhere. It's not British, and he's not putting it on, either. Rather, he cuts the accent once he actually goes into his radio voice.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Damn it Bob, you've reminded me that it's been waaaaaaay too fuckin' long since I've seen Big Trouble in Little China. That, and now I want to see Ben Kingsley as David Lo Pan.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
aba1 said:
I actually prefer the realism and I hate when comics just drop all pretense of any kinda good story just to do something that will sell.
What?

Wait...

What?

So, in your mind, a story won't be good if they deviate from realism?

This isn't to be a dick, I just don't understand the logic behind what you just said. Please explain this.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
aba1 said:
I actually prefer the realism and I hate when comics just drop all pretense of any kinda good story just to do something that will sell. You and me Bob have very different tastes, you just like to see shit happen I like development.

Though I agree on the Mandarin thing for this movie since it makes more sense from a logical perspective.
Are you equating realism with great story-telling? If so, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

Fiction is a boundless ocean where execution is king. Anything can be made into a good story and "development" isn't exclusive to realism (or whatever idea you have of realism).

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I agree with you about the Ultimates comic lines... such a disappointing project.

As a longtime Mandarin fan I am happy to say I actually enjoyed the twist.