The Big Picture: The Boot, Part Two

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Boot, Part Two

MovieBob returns to pick up where he left of last week and to bring you the top five reboots.

Watch Video

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I know a lot of people who would sit down for a full 8 movie Harry Potter marathon. I've been to a few myself and I'm not even a Potter Superfan or anything.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Gargoyles was made for teenagers? When i was a teenager cartoons weren't my main past time =/

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Rebooting Harry Potter and the Simpsons would be a colossal waste of time. And Thundarr isn't on the list. For shame, Moviebob. SHAAAAAAAAAAAME!

Jan 12, 2012
Here I was hoping for Batman to be #1, just to hear the nerd rage.

Harry Potter is a good idea, but I don't think it will ever happen as you envision it. You'd need 2-3 actors for each child character to play them as they age if you plan to release the movies within a reasonable timeframe (I don't think special effects will give us someone who can play 11 and 17 convincingly). As well, there's money to be made; when we can stretch the Hobbit into three movies (regardless of how good those movies are) why turn 8 films into 3?

Now if WB wanted to make a lower-budget TV show focused on the last few books, fleshing out minor characters to be the lead in a story about how the rest of the Wizarding world handles the return of Voldemort... THAT would be something I could see happening.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, I'd love to see a rebooted Babylon 5.

Only trouble is... I really doubt it's ever going to happen because at some point...
for whatever reason... the networks decided that JMS was their enemy... even though he was
easily one of the better writers they were hiring at the time.... and even though his work
was usually fairly popular...

yeah... love to see it, but I don't think its going to happen.

And if it does... if recent trends are anything to go by...

JJ Abrams will be involved with it... somehow.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention mlp more considering friendship is magic is pretty much the most successful reboot of anything I can think of. It took something that was firmly entrenched in what was perceived as what young girls wanted to watch and turned it into something that goes way beyond its intended audience. It did the impossible, it made girl stuff cool.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I'm with you on Harry Potter, but it shouldn't be remade as a movie trilogy. It should be remade as a TV drama. That way they can cover some of the relevant details that actually are supposed to be covered. For example, when I saw that Cho Chang wasn't in the third movie (knowing how she plays an important role in Harry's development as a character in the following books), I gave up on the movies. I felt further validated by this when I saw that the advertising for Goblet of Fire seemed to be cashing in on resembling that of Revenge of the Sith.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
After Bobs inclusion of the Gummie Bears in the first 1/2 of the list despite mentioning Darkwing Duck in the intro as something he left out, I wasn't sure what to expect of part 2. Sadly it was as bad as I feared. Part one was mainly a list of good ideas done badly. Part 2 was simply a list of things that are already great, but Bob consider it overlong (Harry Potter), you think more should have been done with it (Babylon 5) or its gone on too long (The Simpsons) is a bit stupid. Was surprised the Spiderman films weren't on the list (can you reboot a reboot?).

Oh, and watching all Star Wars films. Did you do all six or just the 1st trilogy? And with the Harry Potter films, its much more entertaining watching the films in reverse order.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
the antithesis said:
Rebooting Harry Potter and the Simpsons would be a colossal waste of time.
Ditto for Babylon 5. I cringed when Bob said it should get the "Star Trek reboot treatment." That's the absolute last thing I'd want to happen.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let see-

5. No opinion since I had never watched the show.

4. I'm indifferent toward a reboot on Harry Potter. I would rather see the entire nine books being done as a TV series like Game of Throne. That way it could be somewhat more accurate to the books (I know that's not the case since I know the GOT tv series had made some changes compared to the books).

3 HELL YES!!! I love Gargoyles! If Disney were smart about it, they would reboot it but in saying it is a long shot compared to their recent actions they did with their shows (cancelling Avengers: Earth Mightest Superheroes while Ultimate Spiderman get another season).

2. Same as 5.

1. Indifferent since I've stop watching The Simspon several years ago. Wheather or not I would watched the reboot remain to be seem.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
5. Monster Squad: I still haven't seen the original, but like Goonies and Adventures in Babysitting and that ilk, I think the largest obstacle to a remake is having a group of prepubescents running around city streets late at night, using bad language, and making crude sexual references. That's how 80s kids behaved (speaking as one), but how many Generation Y helicopter parents will let their children see it? They had to set Super 8 in the 70s to make it believable.

4. Harry Potter: Given the unprecedented amount of influence J. K. Rowling had over the production of those films, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a clause reverting the film rights back to her soon. But in any event: the films have proven people were willing to sit through 8 2+ hour adaptations of the books--why wouldn't they think they could make that kind of bank again?

3. Gargoyles: Sure, why not?

2. Babylon 5: FUCK YEAH, Babylon 5. My concerns are that much as diehard fans like us would like to think, it wasn't popular enough. And would its 1960s-era optimistic idealism really fly in the current culture? This would need a really lucky break like the BSG reboot to get off the ground.

1. Simpsons: Not seeing it, personally.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
yeah, Harry Potter when you get down to it has TONS of fluff and quite frankly the later books REALLY start to get sloppy in their explanation of things and an abundance of bad deus ex machina. And that's BEFORE you get into the jarring tonal shifts.

Gargoyles is due for a revival though; the first two seasons did a GREAT job of establishing a rich set of characters and did some cool stuff with Arthurian lore and even stodgy, dull Shakespeare works (Weissman was a former English teacher). Some other stuff he wanted to do was have a spinoff dealing with King Arthur making a New Camelot and have Brooklyn go time-travelling for DECADES in which he'd finally get a wife (a badass Japanese Gargoyle named Katana)

Terragent

Jan 15, 2010
You know what science fiction TV series really needs a reboot? Blake's 7. You know, the one that was actually well-written but had every episode filmed in a gravel pit because the BBC doesn't have money? The one that did the whole "nuanced characters portrayed in shades of grey" a full decade before any of the American shows that get credited with the same decisions were even greenlit? The one that Firefly basically ripped off?

Oh wait, you've probably never seen it. What a pity.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I'll agree on all five getting a reboot, but I think the Potter series would need to wait about a generation. Not a reboot that would be good until memories start to fade. I'd also worry about a Simpsons reboot at some point because well we've seen how things went with the Flintstones.

But yes with Hollywood out of ideas there are some great fictional universes out there with plenty of great stories to tell and interesting characters who would do well with a modern take.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Fun fact, I happen to be watching Babylon 5 right now.
No, I don't want to see it rebooted. I'm satisfied with what it is and really don't think it could be improved upon. Not to say that it's perfect, but you'd inevitably lose some of the best stuff in it while trying to fix up what didn't work.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Nice run down. I may not agree with them all but I can see your reasons for each of them.

Also I'm obligated to post this.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I thought fox said they werent renewing the simpsons past the next few seasons because the voice actors wanted more (which was justified since they werent asking the moon and fox has money to bleed fromt he simpsons merch they get) and it became a big dispute.

but then again I thought south park was supposed to be done and now I hear they're going through 2016 for god knows what reason.

more OT: I would love to see gargoyles rebooted but i dontknow if it would carry well. it was ahead of its time but put it where it should be (I guess now) and would it stand out to a new market enough to justify it? id ont know, maybe, i know id watch every episode I could.

as for the HP movies, I can watch them all in a row if we're doing small breaks to get food and check emails (and if you let them run). I can do that with star wars (have actually though I take a short fifteen minute break between triolgies so I can get my mind in order of expectations. the one series I cant do that with is actually LotR, but that may just be because i dont particularly like the series so to me it just feels like it drags.