The Big Picture: The Fall of Kevin Smith

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Fall of Kevin Smith

Bob explains his feelings on director Kevin Smith.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well it's rare that I can guess a Big Picture episode's subject matter before its release, but there you go.

But the comparisons the Facebook and Escapist commentators made between Bob and Kevin Smith seem even easier to see the logic behind now.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for taking the time explaining this as I was wondering since Red State what was going on there.

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
I kind of see where you're coming from, but unless you find something really dark all I can say about the dude is that he made a few funny movies; then lost his touch. He held a different place for me. Mallrats was one of the movies I got from the older VHS section because 13 year old me wanted to see some tits.

Jersey Girl was a miss, Clerks II was meh, and I'm getting too old for Jay and Silent Bob strike back; other then that's he's just a guy who needs to find a new way of working.

WarHamster40K

Dec 2, 2009
I was preparing for college when that came out. When my teenaged nephew saw me listening to this, he said he'd never seen the movie. I was about to fix that blasphemous oversight when I realized he was only 13. It's going on the To Do list when he graduates. It also reminded me I was getting old. I'm not old! *shakes cane at modem* Get off my non-existent lawn! I'm not old until they have Nine Inch Nails on the Oldies station.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I enjoyed Kevin Smith's movies when I was in high school, and yes, every now and then I may wanna watch Dogma or Mallrats with some buddies.

I just don't have much of an opinion on the guy anymore. I mean I enjoy watching Comic Book Men, but that's about it.

Maybe I'm just not as connected to this as I once was. I'm no longer the kid who went as Silent Bob for Halloween (even though I still totally could)

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I got introduced to Kevin Smith because of my older brother. We got the VHS version of Clerks and it was one of our favorite movies. Not only do I still have that video, I got it autographed by Smith and Jason Mewes at a comic convention long time ago. It's been a long time since I sat down and watched the movie and, yet, I can recall scenes by heart.

I still like Kevin Smith but not as much as I did back in the day. Smith today is what happens when ego and bullshit cloud one's judgement and perception of reality. I'm pretty sure Bob will cover that portion in later parts.

As for Bob's last video, I plan to toss in my two cents eventually. Been busy with RL stuff plus I've been trying to find the words for how I feel about Bay and the people who see his movies.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Perhaps I was too young to appreciate it, but I remember thinking Clerks was not a good movie when I saw it. Mallrats was okay, but I borrowed it from a friend so I imagine that influenced my opinion of it. I liked Chasing Amy and I loved Dogma. I'd probably consider that the high water mark for me. Jay and Silent Bob Strike back was goofy. Again, I remember enjoying it when I saw it but it wasn't nearly as funny as a lot of people made it out to be. This was also the last film directed by Kevin Smith that I saw.

I think I'm not as film savvy as needed to truly appreciate Kevin Smith's career. In all, I think his films fall into the "I'm glad I saw it but I'm also glad I didn't pay theater prices to see it" category.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Eh. Regardless of the quality of his recent film output (which has been spotty) I still genuinely enjoy his podcasts, and I do like that he has reached a point where he's happy making stuff for himself. Tusk sounds like the exact sort of dumb thing I hope to see. He makes films for himself, mostly self-financed. Like him or hate him, it's not like he's doing any harm really.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Why not keep the slow pace? That was an excellent video. More of the same next week please.

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
Hipster? Really? The language alone tells me how out of touch with the generation you're talking about here, and the roots from which Smith himself came. It's painted all over this. You have these ideas of things so colored by the now, that if you ever had sight on that period in time, or that generation, you've lost it. Wholly. Completely.

Kevin Smith is a decent director, and, while I'm not going to pretend to be a fan of all his efforts, there is no betrayal here, there is no fall. Smith's done good work, and he had a lot of interesting things to say about quite a few subjects. You're allowed your opinion, that's not even in question, but you're off base here. You understand about as much about my generation as I know about rice farming, I might have a general idea of the process, but it's through seeing other people do it or talk about it, even by reading about.

That's how your viewpoint of generation X sounds. Like it's something you've heard second hand.

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
FightingFurball said:
There was a movie called "Surf Nazis"?
Technically I think the full title was "Surf Nazis Must Die."

*hops over to IMDb...* Huh, it came out three days after I was born. LINK [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094077/?ref_=nv_sr_1]

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
FightingFurball said:
There was a movie called "Surf Nazis"?
Oh dude, you totally have to check it out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_Nazis_Must_Die

It is awful. Definitely something to watch with some buds while enjoying the affects of substances. I wouldn't encourage anyone to watch it while alone and sober.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
My two favourite KS films are Chasing Amy and Jersey Girl, which puts me squarely in the minority. Dogma and clerks are also fine, but the second Clerks and Zack & Miri just weren't very good, I've not really followed his career after that.

I know I liked him when I first discovered him in college, but I guess I grew out of it.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
I really like this column, but so far, this argument about hating Kevin Smith seems petty. He is to be hated because he did not deliver films that live up to the standards imposed by others on his hypothetical cinema career? What? The guy seems content to do what he does; maybe cinema became a mean more fitting for others ends, to him. Kevin Smith doesn't owe Bob anything because he gets to live Bob's fantasy.That's petty.

Of course, you are entitled to be petty. It's only human.