The Big Picture: The Girl of Tomorrow

K84

Feb 15, 2010
maximara said:
Right, Krypton culture was so advanced that they couldn't figure out their planet was going to blow up or how to save themselves. Let's be honest until Byrne's Superman the people of Krypton came of as clueless arrogant morons. "Jor-el, the world clock shows the planet has *billions* of years of life left"...and several months later the planet blows up.

Thankfully most of the versions of Krypton we have seen since Byrne have made the Kryptonian less moronic.
*high five*

I love the Escapist just for people like you, debating fictional alien worlds and such^^

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
matthew_lane said:
maximara said:
By the time Crisis came around Kryrton looked less a great noble culture and more like 'tell me again how these guys crossed the street without falling over'.
I always assumed that they were an entire species of climate change deniers with blogs... You know, the ones who say they know everything about climate change, but got there scientography degree's from "shit some guy on a blog said anonymously university."

Though to be fair, "shit some guy on a blog said anonymously university" is better known for its sports program... Oh sure, none of them play sport, but they are all experts on every sport ever... As long as you don't question them on there supposed expertise.
The problem is that Silver-Bronze Age Krypton was very wonky. One story would tell us how Jor-El was exiled off planet (requiring Krypton to have a fully functional space program) and yet elsewhere we are told that Jor-El had to test spacecraft as if there had never been a space program.

Furthermore via many of the alternate histories stories one of Superman's marvelous probability machine would show we saw that Krypton had computerize safeguards to prevent unqualified people from getting into position where they could do serious damage. Of course in said story the computerize safeguard promptly malfunctions and people are put into positions they are *not* suited for--makes you wonder about Krypton's Q&A department.