The Big Picture: The King of Meh-Sters?

Corran006

May 20, 2009
Big_Willie_Styles said:
Shorter The Big Picture: Hey, something I'm a massive fanboy of is being rebooted back to its complete roots and that's not the way I'd like it to be rebooted.

The American people are disheartened right now. Grim views of reality and the heroes having to overcome them is just where we are as a people right now.
I just had a thought from your post. What if Movie bob does not like these grim movies because its a reflection of himself.

Perhaps he is doing well in these hard times and feeling guilty about it. Let's not forget he was upset about the second hunger games film because of how the people in the capital were shown. I would like to think film critics would be living there and not in the districts. He seemed upset about how the blue collar jobs or people in the districts were made to be heroes while those in the capital were not.

Now this is just a random thought I had and its unlikely to be true.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Mangue Surfer said:
So, is just a trap to talk about Man of Steel again. Bob, you really need a intervention.
No kidding! Let it go Bob!

Though it just occured to me why Moviebob hates Man of Steel so much. He's comparing it to the Christopher Reeves movies and is completely out of touch with modern Superman. I just finished watching movies like Justice League Crisis on Two Earths, The Flashpoint Paradox etc, and Zack Snyders movie actually tones down how destructive and dark the source material has gotten.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Godzilla 1985 was my favorite Godzilla, so getting back to a single monster wrecking shit is what I'm down for.

Don't get me wrong, I liked most of the other Godzilla movies... but I am perfectly fine with the current tone.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
We all know that Godzilla will never be as good as Jet Jaguar.
<youtube=7cxV8Bf8ND4?t=21s>

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
nuba km said:
Izanagi009 said:
Yeah, I have a bit of difficulty getting hyped (although hearing the signature roar does bring back fond memories)

Part of it is because of how Godzilla is actually like in the movies. From what I remember, Godzilla was always either awakened because of some folly of man or because of another monster. Godzilla to me always felt like it had some sort of higher agency especially during that one mechagodzilla episode when they used godzilla bone's to make the base structure of their mechagodzilla.

Here, it seems just like a natural disaster with no agency and only rampaging and destroying. Maybe the angle is that it's a reflection of the bikini atoll tests but I just don't think this will wow me like Final Wars.

Edit: I just realized something, if they don't have a nuclear breath on Godzilla, I will be pissed to all hell
Just like to point out in the trailer in one of the scenes with jets falling out of the sky when the camera looks up, pause the video. Did you see it, there is clealry a siloute of something, something with wings diving down, combined with a movie synopsis given somewhere (don't have a source sorry) it mentions godzilla fighting other monsters. Also one of the characters says 'they'll send us back to the stone age' it looks like we will get a monster brawl with humanity caught in the middle.
They should have had that made more clear so that fans of the millennium godzilla movies like me can be appeased. Lets face it, Godzilla is at its best when he is fighting other monsters like Mothra. I really hope this is good because I could use a kaiju fix now and again.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Mangod said:
Seriously guys, Godzilla is supposed to be big, I get that... but why the f*** is his f***ing head piercing the f***ing cloud coverage?!
From my understanding he's not much taller than the tallest he's ever been. About 120-150 meters which is close to his 100 meter height in the 90's but much bigger than the 80 meters of the 1985 days, and monstrous compared to his 50's to 70's when he was only 50 meters.

Godzilla's height is a byproduct of the Toyko sky line. He's supposed to tower over it, or be just at it's height. Which is why Godzilla keeps getting bigger. They tried to tone it down in the millennium set by putting him at 55 meters.

A 50 meter Godzilla vs a 350 meter sky scraper just isn't as impressing at the 100 - 150 meter version.

Then there is the perspective issues in the trailer and poster. That's more of an issue with improper scaling. The poser is just super imposing him over the skyline, and the trailer has no real objects in frame to give proper scale. Results in the big moon small moon optical illusion. I also didn't recognize him peeking his heads out of the clouds so much as peaking through the debree cloud of what was probably a sky scraper. We all know how those look for obvious reasons.

They wanted to go with a big version of Godzilla because they didn't want to make him look so small that he could be dealt with with conventional methods. Which I'm all for. The '98 version was wasted by conventional military weapons. Missiles bullets and bombs should never work, and if putting up a big Godzilla is needed to convince the director not to go all Michael Bay on Godzilla I'm for it.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Mangue Surfer said:
So, is just a trap to talk about Man of Steel again. Bob, you really need a intervention.
God forbid you bring up the new Star Trek movies. He may come to your house just so he can rage out on you.

Big_Willie_Styles said:
Shorter The Big Picture: Hey, something I'm a massive fanboy of is being rebooted back to its complete roots and that's not the way I'd like it to be rebooted.

The American people are disheartened right now. Grim views of reality and the heroes having to overcome them is just where we are as a people right now.
And now...The weather...

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Mangue Surfer said:
So true. For somebody who says they hate a movie so much, he's obsessing over it to the point where it looks more like he loved it but is in denial of that fact so he's bashing it every chance he gets to avoid admitting it to himself.

"That's not to say I've never been fooled by a trailer though, since I got the exact same pumped up feeling from this:"
*Cue MoS clip*
..."and we all know how that turned out."

Yeah we do, it turned out as a very good movie that nobody wants to admit was good because it would require them to realize just how crappy the old Superman movies were.

OT: All I'm hoping for is to finally see a Godzilla movie that isn't incredibly fake looking and cheesy. I've seen several Godzilla movies, including the original and in all of them Godzilla was so obviously a guy in a rubber suit stomping on a model city and the dialog was so ridiculous that there was no sense of tension for me to have. It wasn't until the 1998 remake and the subsequent animated series that followed it that I could have really been considered a fan.

LegendofHugh

Jul 18, 2009
Good video Bob, I seriously hope this Godzilla movie works out. Minor thing: 'Heisei' is pronounced "Hey-say"

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Big_Willie_Styles said:

True, we do live in a time where a good and steady lifestyles just isn't as certain as it used to be. Noble TRUTH JUSTICE AND THE AMERICAN WAY sorts of characters and happy settings just rings untrue to most in this day and age. For all the people who just love complaining about the descent into dark and gritty that the media seems to be on these days, those media are still being bought by the boatload anyway. If Grim & Dark didn't work they wouldn't be doing it, so it's more of the whining of a vocal minority than anything. Me, I like the trend because it's resulting in media where the characters act more realistically and are more relatable than they used to be.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Some people may seem fed up with the grimdakness, but personally I still remember how miffed I always was at how utterly disconnected from reality the happy-go-lucky movies of golden olden days were. If I wish to watch a movie with grade school level take on reality, then I go watch one of Disney productions.

Bottom line: Not everyone is fed up with grimdark.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Yeah we do, it turned out as a very good movie that nobody wants to admit was good because it would require them to realize just how crappy the old Superman movies were.
I'll defend Superman and Superman II to the death, but you're more than welcome to put III and IV up against the wall and shoot them with Kryptonite tipped artillery. They weren't just bad for their time, they were just plain bad.

immortalfrieza said:
OT: All I'm hoping for is to finally see a Godzilla movie that isn't incredibly fake looking and cheesy. I've seen several Godzilla movies, including the original and in all of them Godzilla was so obviously a guy in a rubber suit stomping on a model city and the dialog was so ridiculous that there was no sense of tension for me to have. It wasn't until the 1998 remake and the subsequent animated series that followed it that I could have really been considered a fan.
In so much as the Zilla movie was a pile of ass, the series managed to grow something incredible from it. To that end, this may interest you:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/...a-the-series-on-dvd-from-mill-creek-in-april/

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Big_Willie_Styles said:
immortalfrieza said:
True, we do live in a time where a good and steady lifestyles just isn't as certain as it used to be. Noble TRUTH JUSTICE AND THE AMERICAN WAY sorts of characters and happy settings just rings untrue to most in this day and age. For all the people who just love complaining about the descent into dark and gritty that the media seems to be on these days, those media are still being bought by the boatload anyway. If Grim & Dark didn't work they wouldn't be doing it, so it's more of the whining of a vocal minority than anything. Me, I like the trend because it's resulting in media where the characters act more realistically and are more relatable than they used to be.
Maybe if Bob had to deal with hardship of unsteady employment, like I have for the last year, he'd understand why those movies make me feel better about the world.

Because shit is crazy. And I don't see it getting better any time soon.
You know what they say: Misery loves seeing people who are way worse off.

Gordon_4 said:
In so much as the Zilla movie was a pile of ass, the series managed to grow something incredible from it.
True is apparently my word of the day here. It's a real shame it only lasted 2 seasons. The really good shows almost always die off quickly for some reason.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
More relentless negativity from a critic who seems to do nothing other than complain about all the relentless negativity that they're being subjected to.

The irony is so sharp you could shave a moose with the pointy end.

ponderus

Oct 27, 2008
Yes. Yes to all of it. As another huge Godzilla fan, I am ambivalent at best about this movie. Part of it is from being burned in '98, part is being burned on Tranformers, and part of it is the American aspect of it, but overall, I look forward to it, but not like Pacific Rim.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
I have all except five of the Godzilla movies on DVD as they weren't released in the box sets in Australia. There was a complete box set including soundtracks released in a Godzilla head but it cost a large amount of money. I wish I had kept the Godzilla soundtrack CD I had, will never find it again locally.

The Japanese Godzilla series has "rebooted" several times itself even before Hollywood reboots were a thing. I liked that they smashed up the set after Final Wars to make sure they would not be tempted to make another Godzilla movie for ten years.

Toho is unique in Asian film companies in that they pursue copyright claims on Youtube and other places so there are not that many clips around.

Not sure that I'll rush out and see the new Godzilla as soon as it is released.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
That Easter comparison was just too really, hilarious! XD

Anyway, yeah, Bob I get you, I had a similar reaction to the Godzilla trailer. I guess we've got too much to soon these days.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
theApoc said:
Avaholic03 said:
I think the inclusion of "Heisenberg" in the movie is what's making me cynical about it. Not that Bryan Cranston is a bad actor, I just don't think his acting style works for a monster movie (at either end of the specturm...Malcolm in the Middle Bryan Cranston would be equally bad for that role). I think he was only brought in to capitalize on the success of Breaking Bad.
What about Power Rangers Bryan Cranston, seems right up his ally...
Well, I never watched Power Rangers so I can't say for sure. But I'm guessing the tone of a kids show was slightly different than the one they're showing in the Godzilla trailers.
I know LOL, I was just being silly since he does have some experience at the beginning of his career with Kaiju.