The Big Picture: The Numbers

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
MacNille said:
More Scott Pilgrim bullshit? Also The expendepals was not that bad. There are worse movie out there like Twilight
Good too see I'm not the only one who likes the sound of today's ultra realistic gunfire over the sound of the 8 bit mario beeps and boops.

Not everyone was around in the 80's and even those that were may not have been a hard core geek who only wants his favourite comic book/novel/anime series made into a movie, some people are just people, the average joe is average because he is the majority and what the majority wants makes money for the industries. So they get what they want because by sheer weight of numbers they can pay for it too happen. I'm pretty sure if you got everyone who realy says they "want a movie about x" to split the bill evenly, it would either happen and they would shut up (or they wouldn't really get what they want and just ***** about it because after all this is the internet) or they would realise that stuff costs money and gain a little perspective and shut up.

Get over it bob, your team lost, or are you this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-6Tn0Ie-AQ

2ndblackjedi

Sep 12, 2008
So I went to Fast Five a couple days ago and...I'm sorry Escapist but I enjoyed it. It was really more a heist movie than an FnF movie, but I still had a good time. I didn't even realize what I was doing wrong until afterwards, but I found the action sequences to be crazy awesome and I liked The Rock in his over-the-top role as Agent Biceps. The chase scene with the vault was one of the greatest things I've ever seen and the after-credits plot twist was not only a huge shocker to me, but it made me want to see the next one and I feel terrible about this.

So folks, I'm sorry for going to Guillermo del Toro's house and peeing on his cat. I didn't literally do that, I don't even know if he has a cat, but it's become obvious that I've done the equivalent.

I suppose this is a bad time to say that when I got The Expendables on DVD for Christmas, I didn't throw it in a wood chipper and demand 10 copies of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World like I should have, but instead watched it. I didn't even put an axe through the TV afterwards as is apparently my obligation to do.

Again, I just want to say I'm sorry for having had fun watching Fast Five. I now realize that I am a terrible person and that I am part of the unwashed masses dragging all culture down with me. I'm already writing an apology letter to Del Toro, and checking to make sure he doesn't actually have a cat.

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
I feel bad for Universal and Scott Pilgrim. I totally respect the fact that Universal tried to support an artsy, geeky film even though it was a huge gamble. Man, if money weren't such a massively huge issue for movies, maybe we would see more innovative, creative movies other than the inevitable Jackass 14 that's going to come out because that's all the modern teenage wants to see. I don't blame the public for this debacle, but I just wish everyone was geekier :D

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Holy Quetzalcoatl...I had no idea del Toro had such Lovecraftian glory planned! Fervently praying he gets that project back up and running...

edczxcvbnm

Jul 15, 2011
Scott Pilgram is a good movie but it isn't a story that requires $85 million to tell. I look at that movie and wonder where all of the money went. Robert Rodriguez could have made the movie and made it awesome for a third of that budget. Eli Roth could have found creative ways to keep the budget with in reason as well. It was a good but fairly niche movie. Not everyone is a gamer not everyone is a geek. With a budget that big no wonder universal fell on hard times. You can take the road that no one else is taking but Universal decided it would go on the rocky offroad adventure going 100 MPH in a pinto. No wonder they came under hard times.