The Big Picture: The Prophesy of Freakazoid

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
Scream.

Thank you Bob. Freakazoid still is one of my most beloved shows until today. Good to know that it's out on DVD.
I always liked The Lobe more than Candlejack though. Especially because

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Never realized how the show basic was what the internet was going to be 10 years in advance. 100 episodes and yet no Sonic Satam episode, what's up with that?

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
Maybe they didn't predict what the internet was going to be like, but rather, what the internet was already shaping up to be at the current time. As I remember having the internet around that time, back when it was crappy geocities websites about people's lives or pictures of their cat.
My god, blogs, can I haz.... IT HASN'T CHANGED AT ALL!

Why did you do a Candlejack joke by cutting off mid sentence in his name, everyone knows you have to say the whole thing or he wo

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
Freakazoid in and itself was a mixed bag for me, there was some American humour (which I loathed then and still do now), some fourth-wall breaking (which only now I appreciate), and some genuine insanity which has forever shaped me as a person.

But it paled in comparison to The Mask, who, for all the wejie-based jokes, still had more than enough insanity to make it a decent programme for children. Also, it had TIM CURRY as a villain, which is one of the best combinations!

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
The only parody of the Internet that comes close to Freakazoid are the trolls and (2 other characters) from Homestuck, which is a more intentional parody of the Internet and its stereotypes. These characters are a parody of specific parts or users of the Internet, while Freakazoid is the Internet as a whole.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I do find early internet ideas really hilarious considering how little the creators understood and/or how good they where at predicting the future..
Only thing I'm not sure if they implemented in Freakaxoid is dumb users whom believe everything that is on the net...
Otherwise fantastic way of celebrating 100 episodes, the rather accurate prediction of the (SFW) internet and it's trolls...

I don't get the Candlejack references could some

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
Well, now I have some new things on my "to buy list". Though I'll be a little bit of a nitpicking jerk and say you used the Candlejack meme wron

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I suspect the creators were at least somewhat aware of the "Internet culture" that was emerging even then. There are some Internet memes referenced even now that date back to the Usenet era. Heck, the term "spam" was born out of a Usenet meme that was a reference to Monty Python. And as for the creators' personal experience with those proto-freakazoids... well, just ask Tress MacNeille why she refuses to voice animal characters anymore. Yeah. It's exactly what you think.

The Tall Nerd said:
now that i think about it , dude has a point, way ahead of his time freakazzoid was a major troll.
He even has the hair for it!

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Call me supersticious, but I actually never dared to type that guys name. You know, from the end of the video.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
The character i remember the most was that big fat alien guy but i don't know his name in english.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Can we stop it with all this nonsense? I mean, why are lines being cut off? Because of a character in a TV show from the 90s? That's so silly! There's no way saying 'Candle Ja--

Bloodtrozorx

Jan 23, 2012
I always loved Sgt. Mike Cosgrove and his "Cut it out" and everyone would just stop. Where are all the Escapists going? Candlejack, Cut it

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Justified for the the 100th special. I wish you could of done a multipart episode.For anyone wanting to see the whole thing with CaveMan go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHDH6oIv-2o&feature=relmfu

I love that you did this episode, just wish you did more.

Though I think the episode Handman sums up the internet as a whole.