The Big Picture: The Terrible Twenty Films of 2014 Part 1

FateWitch13

Mar 10, 2013
I know that X-Men Days of Future Past will be in his top ten worst. He reviewed it very poorly. I still don't understand why he disliked X-Men Days of Future past. I get it not being someone's cup of tea but I wonder {and not just Bob I'm talking all of us into Marvel} if it's really stemming from us choosing sides for Marvel or Fox. Both companies have behaved deplorably when it comes to the rights of the X-Men. I understand that people dislike the original X-Men movies because they're in black, not their original costumes and some stuff is drastically different from the comics {comics I love}. That never mattered much to me but I don't get why Days of Future Past is so reviled when it fixed everything the Horrid X-3 did. I guess I just don't think Guardians of the Galaxy is a better movie.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
FateWitch13 said:
I know that X-Men Days of Future Past will be in his top ten worst. He reviewed it very poorly. I still don't understand why he disliked X-Men Days of Future past. I get it not being someone's cup of tea but I wonder {and not just Bob I'm talking all of us into Marvel} if it's really stemming from us choosing sides for Marvel or Fox. Both companies have behaved deplorably when it comes to the rights of the X-Men. I understand that people dislike the original X-Men movies because they're in black, not their original costumes and some stuff is drastically different from the comics {comics I love}. That never mattered much to me but I don't get why Days of Future Past is so reviled when it fixed everything the Horrid X-3 did. I guess I just don't think Guardians of the Galaxy is a better movie.
Bob is a Marvel fanboy. It colours his views of everything - if it's not Marvel, then it sucks!!!. Bob's not an objective reviewer and he can't find any flaws in Marvel films, just like he automatically despises anything by DC, Fox or Sony because it's NOT made by Marvel. It's quite pathetic really.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
As per usual I'm going to horn in on something I don't care too much about but...

Black guy plays 'the whitest of the gods': Colour shouldn't restrict people's ability to play parts.
White people play ancient Egyptians: this is whitewashing.

Huh?

sporkaganza

Apr 17, 2011
ForumSafari said:
As per usual I'm going to horn in on something I don't care too much about but...

Black guy plays 'the whitest of the gods': Colour shouldn't restrict people's ability to play parts.
White people play ancient Egyptians: this is whitewashing.

Huh?
If you really don't see the difference in cultural context for these two things, then I feel a little sorry for you. Hint: Which of those races were enslaved for 200 years in the United States?

Re: Bob's bias toward Marvel, while there's definitely truth to this, I feel like the exaggerated "DC-hating MovieBob" stereotype is blown up by DC fans who just can't accept that anyone would hate the movies they love so much. I would respect their opinion a little more if most of the reviews by critics who don't hate superhero movies on principle didn't tend to line up with Bob's: Marvel Studios films are good, DC's attempts at competing aren't so good, Marvel movies made by other studios are a crapshoot leaning on mostly bad.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
sporkaganza said:
If you really don't see the difference in cultural context for these two things, then I feel a little sorry for you. Hint: Which of those races were enslaved for 200 years in the United States?
Was it the ancient Egyptians? I know it wasn't Idris Elba's ethnic group since his parents are British and moved there from Ghana and Sierra Leone where, to put it bluntly, if his ancestors were involved in the slave trade they were more likely to be slavers than slaves. I don't think giving a black British guy a pass because black Americans were enslaved (and owned slaves) along with some white people is really consistent, it's kind of suggestive of not being able to tell black people apart to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, American racial politics are amusingly weird but I'm just not getting it. Surely if you wanted to 'make up for' slavery (in itself a ridiculous concept) you'd promote African American acting talent rather than picking some guy who happens to be black but whose family was never involved in slavery and saying it like that's a useful gesture.

EDIT: I should make it clear that I don't have any reason to suspect his ancestors were involved in slavery.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
What suprises me the most in this thread is, that many people claim the Dark Knight was good.
Except from an awesome Joker the films were godawful. In logic, depth, characters.. everything. It's not-quite-Wintersoldier bad.

Personally i haven't seen Interstellar but most of my friends did and the consensus was: "Meh, decent but not a must-watch and forgotten in a year."
So i skipped it.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
This is why Bob should just do what Angry Joe does and make a seperate list for Worst Movies/games and Most Disappointing Movies/games. Because if he was to do that, Interstellar and Sin City would be in the disappointing category. They are not bad movies, not by a long shot, I'd say they where better than average. Its just compared to the hype (or in Sin City's case, previous film & hype) they don't measure up.