The Big Picture: The Terrible Twenty Films of 2014 Part 2

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Bob is meant to make me not watch Winter's Tale, not tantalise me!

Moeez

May 28, 2009
scw55 said:
I'm hoping for a good Christian movie or movie based from Biblical narratives that is actually good.
I'm tired to evading giving reasons to my sister why I want to not watch certain films because I lack the heart to tell her "It looks awful and terrible". I respect her opinions on certain films and I don't want to influence her perception of them if she sincerely chooses to watch them. I'm just tired of finding an honest way to explain "PLEASE DON'T FORCE ME TO WATCH IT" without being a dick.

I'm confident it is possible to do good Christian movies. I suppose the lack of funding could be an issue since there seems to be a "that's lame" stigma attached to the idea of faith.

We live in hope. It's most likely also quite a mega irony to benefit financially from Religion.
Tree of Life

petef201

Aug 31, 2010
In defence of ASM2 being number 1 on the list he did admit there are probably worse films lower down, but justified his personal reasons for hating it and putting it number 1. I've had a go at him myself for perceived fanboyism to Marvel Studios (I genuinely thought he was gonna put Days of Future Past somewhere on this list) but at the end of the day it is his list and he can only give his own personal opinion.

That said I quite enjoyed ASM2! Well, parts of it.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
On one hand, the Christian movies do look really bad, especially I Origin which looks like it completely misunderstands/misrepresents hinduism and other eastern philosophies.

On the other hand, I can't help but think the various western atheists basically invited this type of stuff to happen due to happily walking into the "we're gonna take away Christmas and call you all dummies for believing in God" trap that was set years ago. If they had just not been dicks about the whole thing there wouldn't be nearly as much open hostility toward the very idea of atheism.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
ASM2 in the #1 spot. Gee willickers, who saw that coming?
I have not heard of some of these movies before today (or just forgot Bob reviewed them) but it gave me the giggles to hear Bob rip them up, but don't pretend the left doesn't do that stuff to.
And ragging on American Sniper again? Bob, just admit you are not the target audience of war movies, and just don't watch 'em if you don't get 'em.
Given that The Amazing Spider-Man 1 only got #2 worst on the 2012 list, I was surprised.

Burnouts3s3 said:
One of these days, I will and shall marathon all of Bob's videos saying how much he hates the Amazing Spider-man series. (Though to be fair some, not all, of his criticisms have merit).
Perhaps ironically, it starts with the credits of the Captain America: The First Avenger Escape to the Movies episode, before then it was just hating it for existing.

OT: Good Bad list, it seems. But at least you clarified in the last video that this year was awesome, otherwise new viewers might have been put off 2014 in movies by seeing a need for a double-crap list.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Really getting tired of the ASM hate. I saw it way after it left theaters, and expected it to be terrible, but ended up enjoying it, mostly because of Electro's creation story. Anytime someone says super hero movies need to be more realistic, I point at BatCow nowadays. Thanks Game Theory for pointing that out. Batman and Robin saved a cow from getting slaughtered, adopted it, and turned it into a personal pet.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I didn't mind Robocop or TMNT. Admittedly i never really got into TMNT as a Kid, or even liked the original Robocop *runs and hides from angry mob* But still. Were they amazing? Hell no, Popcorn films at best, but did i walk out of the cinema disappointed? Nope.

I think most of the hate directed at these 2 is nostalgia driven. People who grew up with these films and never wanted a reboot/new live action film for a film they loved years ago.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
walsfeo said:
Edit to add - yeah, some of them were horrible, but we didn't need two episodes of this.
Yeah, I don't mind these sorts of round-ups but one a year is enough, especially since Bob only really had time to give each movie half a minute of treatment, feels like a glorified list. I like hearing why things are bad but it's the juicy details I really want to savour. Maybe keep it to five next year?

ornjoos said:
Last year Bob said that just being bad in of itself isn't enough to make the worst list. Everybody knew that Saving Christmas was going to suck from square one, so putting in on the list would be as predictable as guessing that the monster in a Scooby Doo episode is a guy in a mask.
True, but then he did include a lot of fundie type movies too, how many people honestly had high expectations for Heaven Is For Real or God's not Dead?

scw55 said:
I'm hoping for a good Christian movie or movie based from Biblical narratives that is actually good.
I'm tired to evading giving reasons to my sister why I want to not watch certain films because I lack the heart to tell her "It looks awful and terrible". I respect her opinions on certain films and I don't want to influence her perception of them if she sincerely chooses to watch them. I'm just tired of finding an honest way to explain "PLEASE DON'T FORCE ME TO WATCH IT" without being a dick.

I'm confident it is possible to do good Christian movies. I suppose the lack of funding could be an issue since there seems to be a "that's lame" stigma attached to the idea of faith.

We live in hope. It's most likely also quite a mega irony to benefit financially from Religion.
Les Miserables? I'm an atheist and even I think the Christian theme in that musical works perfectly, though it can be understood to be more generally about love and forgiveness too I suppose >.>

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
I forgot to post this discussion me and my long time Spiderman friend discovered about ASM 2. We re-watched to see what we really did not like about it. And we found this. We think the writers got there villains mixed up or have never seen all of the Spiderman villains. Because what pissed us off the most was that we realized the Green Goblin in ASM 2 is really the Jackal. We were not even that upset about Electro looking Dr. Manhattan?s deranged long lost cousin with the powers of the Electric Gremlin for Gremlins 2. Just that the Green Goblin looked more like Jackal then Goblin. Come on writers don?t be lazy if you?re going to reinvent a villain make sure he does not look like a villain that is already in the same universe, even if he is not a major one.

Also if someone held a gun to my head and told me to pick between a movie being rebooted or a sequel I would rather have a sequel. Only because there is a good chance I would not be paying money to see something I had already seen before and thanks to the internet I can see almost every movie made.

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
I actually had to sit through Gods Not Dead with my now ex girlfriend. It's even worse than he says it is.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Wow. I'd never even heard of this I Origins thing before. I... seriously don't know what to say about it. And that America: What Would blah blah blah one sounds like it's meant to do for America what God's Not Dead tried to do for Christianity. The title makes it sounds like some sort of alternate history thing, which would have at least been interesting even if the writers' perspective on it had been horrible.

MorganL4 said:
So is the reason that Kirk Cameron's "Saving Christmas" isn't on this list because you couldn't have both the #2 AND #1 spots go to crappy christian cinema? In the podcast you identified it as one of the worst films in history, but it doesn't make the top 10?

I iz confuzzed.
Hell, after #5 jogged my memory of how many of them there were this year, I fully expected them to make up the entire top four. Like, between the overtly Fundamentalist propaganda films and the more mainstream Biblical epics, 2014 must have been the biggest year for theatrical Christian movies in a long-ass time, and virtually all of them sucked. The Left Behind reboot, Heaven Is for Real, Son of God if that counts... am I forgetting any?

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
My wife's family Redbox'd TMNT. I rather liked it. Okay, I rather liked some of the OTT action scenes in a "so bad it's good" sort of way. Sledding a 16-wheel big rig truck? Pole vaulting an Infantry Fighting Vehicle (not over it, but the actual truck)? I'm down.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
piscian said:
Noah was pretty amazing, but Christians seem to hate it.

While the antagonists in the story and I guess the old testament are the Cainites it seems like the director really didn't hesitate to show the parallels between them and modern western christian culture of excess.

Ultimately people raped the earth. God tried to kill them off. Didn't work, people were shitty again. Jesus died for their sins. Then people were shitty again and they're surprised as to why the rest of us snub their beliefs. even by their own faith they're terrible people and their own god doesn't like them very much. Not trying to be mean but thats what it looks like on paper.

Also "The last temptation of Christ" is pretty great. Again Lot of Christians don't like it. Not sure why on that one. Martin Scorsese with Peter Gabriel on soundtrack duty. Lauded as one of the best films of all time.
No, insane Christians seem to hate it. I saw it when I was still firmly in camp Catholicism, sooooo not that long ago, but I also had the edge of being about as big a nerd as you can get. So pretty much telling an unwatered down version of the Noah story I've been hearing for two decades and turning it into a borderline Lord of the Rings fantasy epic worked for me. Also I saw the movie with my mom who really enjoyed it as well and she's even more hardcore christian than I was. Heck one of Glenn Beck's complaints, because he's so relevant, was the Watchers. He didn't buy them, heck he didn't even think they were real yet me and my mom looked them up and while they are only mentioned briefly the watchers are included in the Catholic version of the Bible.

The reason Christians took issue with it was because it wasn't the safe sanitized version they all know and love. I get the feeling that beyond The Passion many Christians think the Bible is rated G when in fact its rated X if you read the thing. Also not calling God God in the movie pissed them off because they can't put themselves in the head space of a primitive people. To them every one of the big players in the Bible just instantly refers to God as God when in Noah it is pretty clear that there isn't even really true religion yet so calling an all powerful deity that you know is there but you can't possibly comprehend The Creator makes more sense then just calling him God like that's his name.

CLAVDIVS CAESAR

Oct 10, 2014
Is anyone else unable to watch the video? I keep getting this 45-second trailer for the site as a whole; the same thing's been happening with Zero Punctuation.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Kitsune Hunter said:
Bob, stop trying to pretend Spiderman 3 is any better or less worse than both ASM, it wasn't, it's just as bad as both films.

Haven't heard of Winter's Tale, but might look into it just to see how bad it is. Also surprised Annie wasn't on the list, from what I heard, it was complete and utter shit
Ehm, no. Even with the infamous night at the roxbury scene in SM3 its still leagues ahead of ASM2. Try to compare the sandman creation scene with the electro creation scene for example. Please, look it up on youtube and just watch.

That alone should settle ANY argument about this.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
scw55 said:

Well, there's always Prince of Egypt.

And does Veggie Tales count? I know it's a series rather than a movie (except for the two movies), but it deserves a mention.