The Big Picture: The Terrible Twenty Films of 2014 Part 2

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
Don't worry about it, Bob.
When I was a kid my favourite superheroes were The Shadow and the Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)...

Mr.Evil

Jul 17, 2014
Darn, late to the party this time. Oh well.

10: I didn't actually intend to see this, but circumstances in a motel room changed that. It was utterly, irredeemably forgettable.

9: Yeah, Johnny Depp needs to vet his scripts a bit better from now on.

8: Really? I knew you didn't like this one, but one of the worse of the year?

7: I didn't hate this one, but it does nothing for me either. Also a forgettable movie.

6: I either forgot or never heard of this one... and now I automatically hate it.

5: I think I'll save some hate for this one as well.

4: No. I will not experience it.

3: Michael Bay has already tainted one of my nostalgic memories with his style of filmmaking. I'm not letting him ruin a second one. This will remain unwatched.

2: You know, it is possible to create a religious-themed movie that also works as a good movie, but 2014 sure as hell didn't have any examples of that.

1: Back when Bob was kicking the crap out of ASM I had commented that he was going overboard and needed to move on. Then again, I didn't think ASM was that bad.

I don't have such feelings this time. ASM2 was not good (though I doubt I would have put it as Number 1).

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Cyberstrike said:
In case you don't know Bob actually liked Transformers 4 even saying it was the second best TF film following after the 1986 animated movie.
Holy crap, I don't know how he managed to put up with that film let alone sort of like it. It's a shallow, poorly scripted, lazy, and downright mean-spirited mess of an overlong movie. At least when he tepidly recommended Pain and Gain, it came off as an interesting failure. Well no one can accuse him of being Bay-hater anymore.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
piscian said:
Why Bob bothered to watch them is beyond me.
Probably because it's his job to watch them. :p

Which brings me to my other point regarding people complaining about Bob's picks. Just keep in mind that a critic is little more than someone that is paid to share their opinion...with opinion being the keyword there.

LagomorphX

Oct 2, 2012
scw55 said:
I'm hoping for a good Christian movie or movie based from Biblical narratives that is actually good.
I'm tired to evading giving reasons to my sister why I want to not watch certain films because I lack the heart to tell her "It looks awful and terrible". I respect her opinions on certain films and I don't want to influence her perception of them if she sincerely chooses to watch them. I'm just tired of finding an honest way to explain "PLEASE DON'T FORCE ME TO WATCH IT" without being a dick.

I'm confident it is possible to do good Christian movies. I suppose the lack of funding could be an issue since there seems to be a "that's lame" stigma attached to the idea of faith.

We live in hope. It's most likely also quite a mega irony to benefit financially from Religion.
Prince of Egypt. If you (somehow) haven't seen it, it is probably one of the best animated movies ever made too, with great music.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
So it looks that - to at least some extent - Bob's SJW tendencies are starting to invade his critical faculties, i.e. his ability to do his job. Looks like I'm going to have to look elsewhere for my film reviews. AGAIN.

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Mandalore_15 said:
So it looks that - to at least some extent - Bob's SJW tendencies are starting to invade his critical faculties, i.e. his ability to do his job. Looks like I'm going to have to look elsewhere for my film reviews. AGAIN.
Curious to which movie you are objecting to being in his Top Ten Worst. My guess would be American Sniper. Is it? Now I am hoping that it is American Sniper because, if it's not, that means it's likely is God is Dead. By the way, you might confusing the social justice warrior with his liberalism or maybe they are the same in your mind. Oh god, is the movie I, Origins?

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
arc1991 said:
I think most of the hate directed at these 2 is nostalgia driven. People who grew up with these films and never wanted a reboot/new live action film for a film they loved years ago.
You might be right about "most" of the hate but to be honest Robocop reboot IS a worse film's. Not as creative, not as memorable, a visual blur bore, heavy handed politics a 12 year old would think is insightful. The characters aren't all that inspiring either. Total Recall did the same things, that movie sucks

As for TMNT, did the movie need such a convoluted plot?

The thing is, a reboot is good if it doesn't lose the spirit of the original but if you can't do that why even use the name sake? Like Bob said TMNT could easily have been swapped for Street Sharks (which I'd like to see).

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
LagomorphX said:
scw55 said:
I'm hoping for a good Christian movie or movie based from Biblical narratives that is actually good.
I'm tired to evading giving reasons to my sister why I want to not watch certain films because I lack the heart to tell her "It looks awful and terrible". I respect her opinions on certain films and I don't want to influence her perception of them if she sincerely chooses to watch them. I'm just tired of finding an honest way to explain "PLEASE DON'T FORCE ME TO WATCH IT" without being a dick.

I'm confident it is possible to do good Christian movies. I suppose the lack of funding could be an issue since there seems to be a "that's lame" stigma attached to the idea of faith.

We live in hope. It's most likely also quite a mega irony to benefit financially from Religion.
Prince of Egypt. If you (somehow) haven't seen it, it is probably one of the best animated movies ever made too, with great music.
One of the best theological movies ever made. :)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I haven't seen that TMNT movie, but given everything I've heard about it, it saddens me that my 7 year old nephew apparently loves it.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
TMNT -Tmnt wasnt that bad, the forced plot tying everything was what made it awful. It was pretty ok for what it was.

Interstellar - It was a bloated mess, reminds me a lot of Contact and other movies that force to swallow a lot of the slow paced boring preachy exposition.

Godzilla - succeeded in making a Hollywood version of G complete with scenes of boring people to break up the monster mash.

Anabelle- anything even remotely connected to movies like Conjuring, Insidious or James Wan turns me off.

Tusk - Kevin Smith really is a talentless hack. Go back to making low budget movies where the characters debate pop-culture and other pre-pubescent nonsense.

Sin City 2 - anything with Eva Green's tatas is good! lol. They should have made this movie and the first one back to back and showed this one first. They let too much time pass before making this one.

Robocop - pointless remake without the dark humor, satire and over the top violence of the original just like Total Recall.

ASM2 - What the hell is Edward(Twilight) doing in a ASM movie? The whole hung up over girfriend story is so boring and uninteresting.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Just rename this "Some Bad Movies and a Nerd's Bias". Amazing Spiderman 3 could be objectively perfect and Bob would still shit all over it.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Was he using the "cultural appropriation" thing unironically or part of a joke?

badmunky64

Sep 19, 2007
No. Just No. Emo Parker from #3 is the worst Spiderman scene. Amazing was bad, but not Original 3 bad. Nothing is worse than Original 3 bad

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
While I don't think it's dreadful, the problem that I had with Amazing Spiderman 2 was that I was bored, and if there's one thing I don't like is being bored.

I was watching the movie, paused it halfway through and started playing something, and when I realized it was still paused I closed it. and about a week later I remembered that I stopped it, so I went back to watch it and was still bored.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I predicted God's Not Dead to be number 1. It was leagues worse than Amazing Spider Man 2, but admittedly I'm not one of the guys who's life will be completed by Spiderman finally getting into the Avengers.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
My five year old twin nephews loved the new ninja turtles movie, then I showed them the first movie. They agree the old one is more fun.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Mikeyfell said:
I predicted God's Not Dead to be number 1. It was leagues worse than Amazing Spider Man 2, but admittedly I'm not one of the guys who's life will be completed by Spiderman finally getting into the Avengers.
I would've said that if not for last year's list where he put Man of Steel at number. He's admitted that on balance it isn't a terrible film. He thinks its a bad Superman movie but not an outright piece of garbage. However it was the biggest let down of the year for him. As lists are personal things a big let down can outweigh a worse film. Especially if it something near and dear to you.....also he's never titled a review "The Movie that broke Moviebob" before so that could've been a dead give away.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
The best part of how awful Spider-Man 2 was is that it was an attempt to keep the Spider-Man franchise away from Marvel, and ended up doing so much damage to Sony they're already in agreements with Marvel to release the rights and just publish the future Spider-Man movies, not make them at all. That sure was worth the money blown, wasn't it?