The Big Picture: Turtle Power - The Older, Better TMNT Movie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Turtle Power - The Older, Better TMNT Movie

MovieBob takes a gander at what he feels was the right way to bring the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to the silver screen.

Watch Video

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I remember genuinely digging that movie when it came out. Well, when it came out on video anyway. Small town, we didn't have a multiplex to partake of cinematic delights without driving for about 50 miles north or south to one of the bigger cities. (Wichita Falls or Fort Worth, respectively)

Great video Bob. I hate to be the old man in the group (though I certainly am), but it's nice to remember a different time when things didn't seem so bleak regarding pretty much every nerd-centric property that doesn't have a MARVEL STUDIOS tag at the front.

petef201

Aug 31, 2010
Awesome nostalgia-trip! Think I might watch this tonight, been a long time!

Personally my favorite version is actually the current CGI nickelodeon cartoon. I'm old enough to remember the 80s cartoon, and it was definitely great at times, but I've yet to see a bad episode of the latest one.

Dec 14, 2009
I remember my mum having this movie on VHS recorded from TV. Man, those were the days.

It's been fucking years since I saw it, but those snippets in the video were enough to remind me how much I liked it.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Hey everybody, Bob mentioned "The Bias"! Let's have a massive and pointless argument about why he is right/wrong to dismiss those accusations like we always do!

OT: I watched the original TMNT movie as a kid at my cousin's house. I was a bit young to be a fan of the franchise at the time, but I remember enjoying the film. That said, there are a lot of clips in Bob's video that I just don't remember at all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You know, I been wanting to get that film on DVD (it is that danm awesome) but it's not sold anywhere in the UK (without resorting to importing it). It something to due with the film being censor alot in the UK (Mike uses of his nun-chunck) which sucks alot!

Edit- As much as I hate to admit, it look like thanks to that film, they are actually going to release the blu ray and dvd of the classic film on 29 September!

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
Having grown up with the original animated series and the classic movies I've got to say while I owned a lot of the toys figures and related VHS tapes (god I feel old) I personally prefer the 2003 series overall and it's movie Turtles Forever and honestly my opinion of the classic series mirrors 2003 Mikey's, love em at first but after awhile they just start to grate on my nerves.

Still now might be the right time to rewatch the first two movies again, maybe there better than I remember.

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
HEY! Where's the Howard the Duck movie episode?

. . . well, I suppose I can substitute an episode with one type of anthropomorphized-talking-animal(s)-with-a-beak-movie for another.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Why did I know that this week's Big Picture would be more about the turtles? Bob can be very predictable when he doesn't like something. Why not just do that Howard the Duck episode you mentioned doing last week?

You said in your own critique of the new TMNT that you're tired of people coming out and accusing you of bias, and while I'm not one of them, you DO tend to have a habit of really narrowing in on the things that bug you whether it's Transformers, Amazing Spiderman, Man of Steel and now...well Ninja Turtles.

Just some friendly advice, you could probably get some of those claimers of bias off your back if you go a while without talking about how the new TMNT sucked ass (and for what it's worth, I totally agree that it did)

On topic though, yeah, I really enjoyed the first live action movie. I thought I liked it because I liked it as a kid, but I went back recently to check it out and it still holds up pretty nicely.

Also the guy who voiced Nergal in Billy and Mandy and The Lobe in Freakazoid was in it, and that's pretty awesome too.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
It was a really well presented argument in video form and it made me smile with much nostalgia... That said I do sometimes wonder at the generic nostalgia love of our childhood (Bob makes a strong case for this movie but there were so many others...)

My Question is this: If the characters in these new remakes were not so friggen ugly would they be every bit as appealing to todays kids as our stuff was/is to us?

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
I'm convinced that there is not a live-action film created that is not made instantly better with Jim Henson puppets and/or costumes. That movie was rad and I think that it and the most recent CG series on Nick are pretty solid pieces of media.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Yeah, that 1990 TMNT-movie was damn good for what it was. Surprisingly dark too; at least, that was the impression I got from it back when I watched it as a kid.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
I think we can all sense the pattern with Michael Bay sort of like Gearbox Software. They can't handle other intellectual properties without any problems to follow.

Back to something TMNT related has anyone else noticed how catchy the them tune to the 80'S and 2003 cartoons are because like Duck Tales once you listen to it it will be a while before it leaves.

FiatCelebrity

Aug 25, 2010
Bob, you are definitely wrong this time. THIS, is the best rendition of TMNT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJspVE355Do

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Having been born in the late eighties, I never understood the other kids' obsession with the turtles and I never was interested in the cartoons or that particular movie. All the turtles looked and sounded the same to me, and they still do. I haven't seen the new film and don't intend to, but I have to give some credit to the makers of it just for making the turtles visually distinct from one another.

That said, from what I've seen of this, yeah, the plot does sound genuinely interesting, and I'm impressed at what fight choreography could be pulled off in those turtle suits. I probably couldn't sit through it though given that it's an 80s movie (yes, I know it was released in 1990, but that just means the decade had only begun and couldn't define itself yet), and 80s movies tend to have some pretty annoying aesthetic and acting qualities about them.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I remember bits and parts of this movie, as I'm sure I watched it on TV back when I was a wee sprout, but I definitely need to watch this one again. Considering that I couldn't even see Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods in the short time it hit theaters (who ever heard of a sold out movie?), I probably won't go see the new Ninja Turtles movie, so I can't say anything good or bad about it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Even now i remember Raphael getting pissed and going to train on the roof and being attacked by the clan. Getting his ask kicked and dumped through a ceiling window. An the shock from the other turtles. Even from Bobs vid you can see all the personalities of the four turtles - they have real character you can relate to. They act like brothers would, they argue and fight, laugh and joke and deal with serious issues - they love and care for each other. But the new version - i just dont get that same feeling. Though i was 13 when i watch the original movie, and the new movie was made for kids same as the original, so its probably nostalgia for the original and that im judging the new one as 37 year old man. :)

Even now im impressed with how fast those guys could move in those suits. Thats the only problem with CGI, just because you can do anything, doesnt me you have to.

Read there is a sequel to the new movie on 3rd June 2016. Hopefully they get a better writer to add better character interactions with them....although part of me would love a Be bop and Rocksteady in the movie. Or Krang. :)

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
petef201 said:
Awesome nostalgia-trip! Think I might watch this tonight, been a long time!

Personally my favorite version is actually the current CGI nickelodeon cartoon. I'm old enough to remember the 80s cartoon, and it was definitely great at times, but I've yet to see a bad episode of the latest one.
I loved the original comic, and didn't start to like the cartoon series until after the first movie came out. My Nephew and I went to out for pizza and went out to catch the movies, it was a great experience.

Also, I'm surprised Bob didn't have good things to say about the 2007 movie. It was good fun.