The Big Picture: Two Many Busters

Jeffro Tull

Sep 27, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I remember always feeling very nervous whenever Sky Channel announced "Next up: Ghostbusters". Would it be that actual awesome Ghostbusters or the crappy gorilla Ghostbusters?

The Boogey Man from the Real Ghostbusters always scared the shit out me by the way.
Dude, the boogey Man episodes were my favorite as a kid. They were just crazy.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
No Spiderman? /cut wrist
The Tv is weird made me giggle.
Well apparently these cartoons never got to my country.
I do expect more spider bs next week:D

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I always wondered what the deal was with that. Thing is for me, I saw the cartoons before the movie, in fact I went and watched the movie because I saw the cartoon. ...and by the cartoon, I'm referring to "The Real Ghostbusters" not that other thing, but I do remember seeing that now and then.

Dr Muerte

Jul 11, 2010
here in mexico televisa broadcast the anime"ghost sweeper mikami" alongside filmnation's "ghostbusters" and "the real ghost busters". worst part, the 3 shows were dubbed "los cazafantasmas" (the ghosbusters)

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Ah yes, the big picture which deals with such amazing topics as comic arcs that sucked and cartoon obscure trivia!

Really mate, to do this sort of stuff, just ask for a column and include it there, but if you are going to talk about the "Big Picture" I expect things that are a lot more prominent in our current society looked from another perspective that may seem to be underlooked, as in, dare I say it, looking at the big picture than what amounts to a geek column.

cp.06

Jun 20, 2010
Huh. Youtuber Teddy Rubskin did the same topic a couple of months back. It's really interesting to see how stuff like this developed.

Great episode as always, Bob!

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
Wow!!! THANK YOU M.BOB!!! I saw an episode of the "ghost busters" not to long ago and you basically summed up my expression by "wtf"! I was wondering what the heck was going on with this and I'm so glad you did an episode to explain it all.

btw, I grew up with the "real ghost busters" and loved every minute of it! now if we could only convince the bigwigs to restart the animated series instead of a 3rd film... >)

TheDudeEM

Mar 1, 2011
I remember that show, the real ghostbusters not the other one. But one thing always bugged me, how come Egon had a blond pompador in the cartoon?

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
I have this weird faint memory of having watched the Ghostbusters cartoon as a kid, but... I can't quite grasp it. I suppose I did, but I've no idea what happened in the show or what characters was in it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, this was actually very informative to me. I remember seeing the "Ghostbusters" cartoon a couple of... weeks? Months? Wow, the memories blur together... anyway. I saw it after the "Real Ghostbusters" cartoon had started airing, and I'd figured (even back then, I was cynical) that it was just a cheap, quickly-assembled knock-off of the movie concept. I'd had absolutely no idea that there had been a live-action show even before all of that, and that it had ties to F-Troop (which, from the few episodes I ever saw, I found fairly amusing).

And, yes, the first two or three seasons of TRGB had some crackerjack writing, especially from Straczynski; seriously, character and story depth of that quality were the exception rather than the norm for kids' shows back then. Unfortunately it sort of fell apart later in the series, when the executives decided to focus on Slimer and reduce the ensemble cast to two-dimensional (pun intended) parodies of themselves. I never even saw Extreme Ghostbusters, so I can't give any input on that.

Feb 13, 2008
They weren't the first by a long way though:

(1973)
(1969)

But the earliest I can find is The Television Ghost: Back in 1933: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Television_Ghost

Inglip warns of Ripagral presently though.

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
Okay, I feel like my nerdness was validated today. As I already knew everything you covered in that video. In part because I own the DVD set of "The Real Ghostbusters" and I owned (and enjoyed) a couple of VHS tapes of Filmation's "Ghostbusters".

Though I did only find out about the, who got there first debacle about a year and a half ago, the internet reviewer Chad "CR!" Rocco went over it as part of a holiday special on "That Guy with the Glasses". He is one of their strongest contributers.
Link to Tracy the Gorilla:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/ff/28241-episode-40-tracy-the-gorilla
Link to his mini documentary of Janine Melnitz of the "Real Ghostbusters":
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/ff/12737-ff01

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
They weren't the first by a long way though:

But the earliest I can find is The Television Ghost: Back in 1933: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Television_Ghost

Inglip warns of Ripagral presently though.
And you sir get Nerd bonus points. I commend your mastery of Google and the arcana it yields to you.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Informative though I can't really say I cared that much. Though its nice to know why they called it "The Real" Ghostbusters.

Also "2 detectives and a gorilla." best line I've heard all day.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
scottxxxx667 said:
Interesting show Bob, I'm a long time fan of your work, but this will be my first comment (sorry if it sounds the tiniest bit critical).

Anyway, while this sort of stuff is interesting from the 'useless triva' side of the internet (not a bad thing, by the way), it sort of fails to evoke a response other than, "oh, I guess that's kind of cool". Your best work is when you use your intellect to discuss an issue or an idea in a way that few people ever think of before, or at least least introduce people to an idea that could change their way of thinking (such as your GameOverthinker episode about how Super Mario Galaxy features one of the few examples of creationism reenvisioned through entirely feminine means).

Anyway, not to sound too harsh, your 'useless triva' is always interesting to hear, but your best episodes will always be the ones that could change a persons thinking.
This. While I'm probably never going to change my mind based on Bob's opinions (he tends not to explain them as well as he scoffs at all dissent), I preferred when this series was about Bob coming up with acerbic opinions and exploring unintended analogical properties of otherwise harmless media. My reaction is the same as many others: unless he happens to talk about something I'm already interested in, these info-dump episodes are pretty banal and forgettable.

Also, for a guy who claims he doesn't read comics, he sure does like talking about them a lot. Why does it irk me that he claims no connection to these stories and yet explains so many plot lines? It feels like I'm a black belt watching a white belt teach someone how to fight, annoyed even though the white belt is doing a good job.