The Big Picture: What the Duck?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
What the Duck?

Well, you asked for it - MovieBob breaks down what exactly the infamous Howard the Duck film was all about.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I do wonder whether Howard the Duck is now going to be in a movie of his own or if he's just going to be a major character (or even turns out to be a member of The Avengers).

Either way the scenes shown here make me uncomfortable, so I think I'll pass on trying to grab a copy and watch it.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Well...no. Just no. I dont think even todays marvel could pull this off. Or....could they...?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks for explaining why Lucas went and created that weird movie.

That said, I'm not going to go out of my way looking for a copy to watch.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
In the film's defense, the Dark Overlord's design/animation (by Phil Tippett according to Wiki) is pretty cool.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
For years as a kid, I thought Howard the Duck was a crazy dream I had at the event horizon of my burgeoning consciousness as an even younger kid.

It works in that context.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
PunkRex said:
In the film's defense, the Dark Overlord's design/animation (by Phil Tippett according to Wiki) is pretty cool.
This! say what you will about the film but the alien monster at the end is monstrously awesome and very unique.

Nubrain

Sep 17, 2010
For me Howard the Duck is something of a guilty pleasure. I spent half a year in my teenage years living in a very small town that had exactly 3 things to do if you weren't into sports. the first was to go see what ever was on at the one screen movie theater (where I saw the supper mario movie) the second was to window shop in the 2 strip malls we had (too small for even a walmart and both malls had christian book stores.) or rent a movie. Only the two was too small for a blockbusters so we had the selection at the corner store two blocks from my house. the two we rented over and over again were Howard the Duck and Inner space. even back then I knew the movie wasn't good but to this day if it's on tv I have to watch it.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Well that looked just as awful as I remember it being. Hopefully that cameo was just a joke and nothing further happens with the character.

Jan 12, 2012
I think Howard could work in the MCU as maybe someone who shows up in a cameo to make a snarky comment but otherwise stays out of the way entirely, like he's treated in the main comics (other than his own line). His heyday has come and gone, and there's no point in Marvel wasting goodwill on trying to make a movie that isn't going to go anywhere plotwise and that doesn't have messages that could be better presented elsewhere.

Plus, the movie's CGI model was creepy. Say what you will about the costume looking fake, but it didn't disturb anyone.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I remember seeing Howard The Duck at the cinema. It was pretty lame, but hardly the worst thing I saw during the 80s. We went to see at least one of the Police Academy sequels. Those were pretty much the worst thing to come from the 80s.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I loved how Bob pointed out how people definitely WOULD HAVE decried Guardians of the Galaxy as obviously being too weird if it bombed and was a critical failure, instead of it being a success and everyone saying that it's uniqueness is part of the success. Isn't that weird?

small

Aug 5, 2014
BigTuk said:
I remember Howard the Duck. It's a bad movie but.. it's a good kind of bad, the kind that you remember . I mean it was funny and all but also not funny. The closest thing I could place it with is 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes'.

I believe what went wrong was simply that the budget was too high. If it had been half the budget..it'd probably have been better received.
THANK YOU. people take their nerdy films so freaking seriously thee days. i swear the 80's was the last time we managed to get bad but fun tacky popcorn films like howard the duck, attack of the killer tomatoes, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension! and killer klowns from outer space.

they werent serious, they werent good, and they reveled in it, they were the films you picked up at the back of the video store on a friday night when your mates came round.

and for the record id love to see bob look at buckaroo banzai

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
PunkRex said:
I do admit that's the only thing I went "Hey, that's kind of neat".

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
I remember enjoying it as a kid, but I enjoyed the Ewok Adventures, and Gumby when I was a kid too. So take that with a grain of salt.

vid87

May 17, 2010
When I told my brother that Howard made a cameo in GoTG, his response was, "That's because everyone likes him." I hadn't realized there was such a cult following but I guess it's true to some degree.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
So this episode dredged up some half forgotten memory of mine that I need help with. I remember a weird sci-fi movie from when I was a kid that had a magic glowing purse, and a big finale at some sort of giant sattelite dish. Can anyone help me out?