The Big Picture: Who Are The Guardians of the Galaxy?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Who Are The Guardians of the Galaxy?

MovieBob takes a close look at the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer.

Watch Video

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
This looks fun. That's about all I can say, it's awesome that their tie-ins are starting to spiral into weirder places, but feels right doing so. Also, awesome seeing Chris Pratt be a lead, he seems to have gotten himself fit since Parks & Rec.
Edit: Also... speaking of Parks & Rec, DAMN do I want Disney to just go with the Patton Oswald Filibuster idea for the Marvel / Star Wars movies.

Andrei Serban

Jan 10, 2013
in the last version of the comics, star lord si the son of,j'son ,jason of spartax, the king of the spartax empire. when his spaceship crashed on earth,he fell in love with a woman and had a child, peter. i am guessing that is the origin they will go for. but we will find out for sure in august

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Glad we're doing a Let's Watch the Trailer in a Big Picture show. Very refreshing.

Movie looks good. Can't wait.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
We already know that Disney/Marvel have a long-term strategy in mind, but this is getting ridiculously weird. I did not expect it to get this weird and to branch out into god knows how many other movies. Not even after the Avengers credits.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
I'm really liking this because it looks like a comic book movie that isn't afraid of it's own weirdness. Refreshing because of Man of Steel, Dark Knight, first few X-men movies...

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
CAPTCHA: willy nilly

I think the Captcha's got this trailer in a nutshell. Mind you, it's willy nilly in a good way. I think someone was having way too much fun with this particular movie and just how random the material is...and that usually ends up being a good thing. Just look at how well the Lego Movie ended up with a similar "it's random but let's have fun with it" concept. Definitely looking forward to this.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I have to admit, I had a hard time explaining to my family who the Guardians of the Galaxy were... ALL of them had a hard time grasping that Bradley Cooper is going to play a raccoon.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Cool rundown. It's rare I am more knowledgeable on a comic book topic than Bob is, but he still hit all the important points. I actually didn't know Riley was playing Dey. I hope that means Richard Rider gets an awesome appearance on the silver screen at some point as well. Rider's one of my all-time favorite Marvel characters.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
The chunks of setting they show look quite interesting. And it's good to see a sci-fi movie that's not afraid to be colourful.

The clumsy humour, though? That leaves me unimpressed.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Totally forgot to see the teaser but thanks for this Bob. Between you and Linkara, I know more about the DC and Marvel universes then I ever wanted or needed to know. Not that, that is a bad thing.

Gorbachof

Apr 17, 2011
I got to say, I LOVE how these Marvel movies are going all out and having fun with their source materials.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
That's pretty awesome, Bob, but don't you usually write a column about this sort of thing instead of devoting a Big Picture episode to it? Not really complaining, just curious as to why. I assume there simply isn't that much to talk about lately?

On topic: I still have no f***ing idea who these people are. The movie looks neat, but the shifting and contrasting tone of the trailer feels odd. It's hard to tell if they're going for a full-on, Avengers-styled action movie (evocative of Thor, specifically) with some humor, or a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy styled lampoon with some action... or both at once, somehow. I feel like either would be insufficient, given what I "understand" about the material, but doing justice to both is exceedingly difficult. (see: Bay's Transformers) Come to think of it, this movie has similar smell to the "Bayformers" all over it... minus the alien robots, of course. (...having designs that look like someone tossed pieces of scrap metal in the air and sketched how they landed into humanoid form, like some sort of bizarre combination of oracle bones and Rorshach tests, but that's a whole other rant.) Point being: There's a very thin line here between "pretty good" and "complete shit"; between Firefly and Star Trek: Enterprise. A single movie just doesn't have the scope to cover everything that's important, and the material is too obscure, for lack of a better word, to launch a trilogy or support a series. (see: The Last Airbender).

Still... like most of the other movies I mentioned, I will approach this with cautious optimism. In the worst-case scenario, I continue not caring about the Guardians of the Galaxy, so I have nothing to lose here. (Maybe that's what Disney/Marvel is banking on?)

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I love the look of this movie. It looks like it'll be a good contrast to Winter Soldier(which also looks amazing). This was a great breakdown, I knew some of it from wandering various wikis, but a lot of the tidbits were new to me. I didn't know the gray guys were supposed to be Sakaarans. I wonder if that's because they're known to work with the Nova Corps or if there'll be a Planet Hulk somewhere down the line.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
I have to Be Honest, off the Top of it, the only Reason id watch this movie is Rocket Raccoon, im sure i will like the rest of bit, but a Raccoon with a Gun kinda is a good Draw for me, says the Bird with a Grenade