The Big Picture: Worst Movies of 2012

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Yawn, you don't like amazing spiderman Bob that's fine but stop acting like everyone in the geek press does as your a very, very lone voice in hating it (and no, pointing out that a pretentious douchebag WHO TYPES IN ALL CAPS doesn't like it either is not all geek press).
I thought Film Crit Hulk was reletively positive about Amazing Spider-Man.

I agree though, that the week Bob's hate for ASM spilled over into The Big Picture was kinda weird in the context of largely positive to luke-warm reviews and him talking about "much of the criticism" when little of that criticism has been on display comes off as denial rather than consideration.

I still like his stuff, though.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Though thankfully most of your reviews tend to signify otherwise, that closing comment of yours makes it a little hard to believe you go into movies with an open mind.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Has anyone actually seen Branded? I'm gonna take your word for it that it's bad, the premise sound like exactly the kind of pretentious, anti-capitalist wank that's nowhere near as intelligent or original as it thinks it is.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Damn... I was thinking Bob would have hated Ther Expendable 2 enough to warrent a top five...

Doesnt really mean shit to me though, still enjoyed the movie.

Also what the hell does M. Night Shamalot do to keep getting to direct movies?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Eh, I haven't seen most of these movies (except for some of The Watch, and I might like to see the Lorax to gauge it for myself)

Though my biggest problem with The Amazing Spider-man is that they had to cancel the awesome Spectacular Spider-man cartoon just to make it. Thanks a fucking lot Marvel/Disney/Sony. -_-

As for your #1 pick, I think the concept sounds interesting... but it could have been done better. Maybe as a mix of They Live and Supersize Me. Maybe.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
will smith, his kid and m night shamalamadingdong making another movie? i think the mayans were off by a year....

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I call most AA rated games crap, dose not mean they are not average. Tho sometimes I wonder why I do it, its for shock value or that I suck. LOL

M. Night Will Smith have done good films before so it might be good,The Last Air Bender was off mostly due to casting and times compression.

kanbabrif

Aug 30, 2011
MovieBob said:
Worst Movies of 2012

See which movies MovieBob branded as the worst films of 2012.

Watch Video
Heh, I see what you did there. That was the only movie I was 100% sure would be featured in this list.

RTK1576

Aug 4, 2009
To the responses:

10 - I didn't want to see this, but I ended up watching it due to a family member not being warned ahead of time before going to the video store. Lots of old action heroes standing in plain sight shooting bad guys. Real yawn-inducing.

9 - No argument.

8 - The American Pie series lost its novelty after the first movie. Alas, there will always be an audience for these kinds of movies, as there are plenty of horny teenage males and nostalgic adults who were once horny teenage males.

7 - I'd like to think that the failure of Battleship and the success of The Avengers means we'll see less movies made in the style of the former and more in the style of the latter. But I'm old and I know better... because Michael Bay still exists.

6 - Saw it, didn't care about it. Moving on.

5 - See Number 6... but GLEN BECK? Is Vaughn TRYING to kill his career? Because unless it's Vaughn beating up Beck every episode, that is what is going to happen.

4 - Talk about a movie that didn't understand its source material.

3 - Now, I haven't seen this, but based on word of mouth and the reactions I've read, calling it one of the worst of the year is a bit much, Bob. And I don't want to GET you. I want you right where you are... heh, heh.

2 - Shock, it's on the list. I'm just surprised it was only Number 2.

* I did finally watch it. And honestly, not that bad, Bob. Not great, either. But it didn't deserve the repeated vitriol you reaped on it. As I've commented in the past, I really hope you don't go off on another movie the same way you did with ASM, because it'll be enough for me to stop being a fan. Which is a shame, because I like your style most of the time.

1 - I'll take your word on this one.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I actually think SpiderMan was pretty good.
The only thing I really hated in it was how they made Lizard.
Electro is a really unkown villain for me thou...

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
I've been looking forward to les mis so I hope that it is better than Movie Bob thinks it is.
If you like the musical, you'll probably like the movie. That said, and while I certainly enjoyed the movie, I just don't think there's much purpose to it. If you're already a fan of the musical, all the movie will make you do is think of how much better the live production is. If you're not already a fan of the musical, the movie isn't good enough at presenting the same material to get you to want to see the live production. It's kind of stuck in a sort of no man's land.

Anyway, as to the movie itself, I can understand not liking the story but, well, that's the story. They didn't really change anything from the musical so I'm not sure I really feel the criticism of the movie feeling disjointed in the third act is a completely valid one when referenced in such a way that you're pinning the problem on the movie alone. I didn't find the direction and staging that distracting but it's a very common complaint so I would imagine it was just something I in particular wasn't too thrown by. Crowe is defintely the weak link singing wise as, while not a bad singer in his own right, he just doesn't have the power that the role demands. Compare him to the actors who generally play the role in the live production and he comes up staggeringly short. Kudos to the casting, however, in using perhaps the most known actor who's played Valjean in the movie as the priest. Was a nice nod to the fans and brought a smile to my face.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Les Miserables at third place feels a little like "Hey! Look at my loud and controversial opinion!". I haven't seen it, and I don't think I'm going to since it doesn't look like my kind of movie, but I have a hard time imagining one of the top Best Picture contenders really being an overall worse movie than the latest American Pie, regardless of how much you think people are over hyping it.

I feel that's a problem I have with criticism on the Internet in general. Too many times I get the feeling critics exaggerate how bad something is simply because it either gives them more attention or makes for a much more interesting review. Using hyperbole gets the point across and I'm not gonna lie, there is more entertainment value in seeing something being ripped to shreds rather than receiving a simple "not all that great", but I think it damages the credibility of the critic in the long run.

I'm not gonna tell anyone what to think, and if you really found Les Miserables worse than both The Expendables 2 and Alex Cross, then it would be wrong to conform to what other people think. Just don't be careless with how you hand out ratings as harsh as "third worst movie of the year".

Archer666

May 27, 2011
Branded didn't really come off as mean spirited to me, at all. It was just really blunt. And overly long and somewhat confusing. It did have a good message on how advertising can influence society into accepting extremely unhealthy things.

It didn't really feel like the worst movie of 2012 to me. That's reserved for The Hunger Games in my opinion. The movie started strong and then proceeded to torpedo itself to the bottom of the deep once the actual Games started.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Vault Citizen said:
I've been looking forward to les mis so I hope that it is better than Movie Bob thinks it is.
If you like the musical, you'll probably like the movie. That said, and while I certainly enjoyed the movie, I just don't think there's much purpose to it. If you're already a fan of the musical, all the movie will make you do is think of how much better the live production is. If you're not already a fan of the musical, the movie isn't good enough at presenting the same material to get you to want to see the live production. It's kind of stuck in a sort of no man's land.

Anyway, as to the movie itself, I can understand not liking the story but, well, that's the story. They didn't really change anything from the musical so I'm not sure I really feel the criticism of the movie feeling disjointed in the third act is a completely valid one when referenced in such a way that you're pinning the problem on the movie alone. I didn't find the direction and staging that distracting but it's a very common complaint so I would imagine it was just something I in particular wasn't too thrown by. Crowe is defintely the weak link singing wise as, while not a bad singer in his own right, he just doesn't have the power that the role demands. Compare him to the actors who generally play the role in the live production and he comes up staggeringly short. Kudos to the casting, however, in using perhaps the most known actor who's played Valjean in the movie as the priest. Was a nice nod to the fans and brought a smile to my face.
Thank you for the help:)

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Les Mis, will be going to watch that soon. Just about every criticism of the film can also be leveled at the original musical too. My worry is, that critics are simply going to see this as 'Mama Mia 2: The Revenge', when it's anything but.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
So, Amazing Spider-Man and Les Mis were WORSE than Expendables 2, Battleship, and American Reunion?

Every time I think Bob has formed a decent opinion, he pulls some shit like this. Bob, I usually enjoy watching your reviews, but I stopped actually giving them much credit as actual criticism after you told us that we were supposed to ignore that Avatar was badly written, badly acted, and in general boring in spite of the pretty pictures.