The Big Picture: Wunderpants - Wonder Woman's New Clothes

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Wunderpants - Wonder Woman's New Clothes

MovieBob addresses the rumors about Wonder Woman's possible outfit in the upcoming Batman v. Superman film.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I don't think the movie title phahaha will work as well as Warfighter phahaha!

But isn't Wonder Woman's flesh showing part of her story or something like that? I mean she's Wonder Woman, it shouldn't matter if you can see her legs in their entirety.

Captcha: It's super effective.
No, I disagree.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Bob sez, "Jacket off".

...Wait, that came out wrong.

I agree with you, Bob. But I do think pants means there one step in the right direction in making Diana into a character.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
I long ago stopped getting into these kinds of discussions when I realised that, at one time or another, every single aspect of characters like this is going to be criticised or picked apart one way or the other, regardless of whatever counterpoint we're going to have to say on the matter. And WW's costume will be no exception to the rule.

This character's appearance is going to be ridiculed by someone whichever direction they go, so they might as well just pick a direction and stick with it, knwoing that it'll be no more or less disliked than the other direction.

As for the film itself, I can't really say that I'm too excited about it. While the idea of seeing all of DC's big names on the big screen has it's appeal, I long ago resigned myself to the idea that (in Bob's own words) Warner Bros is just bad at making superhero movies that aren't entirely about Batman.

As such, I'm not expecting this version of WW to be that interesting, regardless of her costume choice, especially since my personal definitive version of her character was already done over a decade ago by Bruce Timm and his team.

Jan 12, 2012
I always thought that pants were better for live-action stuff because they look better; the traditional... underwear? one-piece? always seems like it either sags or gets pulled in uncomfortable ways when put on real people, rather than drawn on (like a lot of costumes that look best when the media allows them to be as the designer imagined, rather than as reality dictates).

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
At this point I just want them to make a damn good movie that is actually going to be taken seriously by these film makers and not just made to be another soulless cash in. If they want to give Wonder Woman pants I really don't give a damn but man, there really is something to her original costume that is so Iconic (just like how Superman's original costume is, bulge and all) and would hate to see it go because of just "skin". Now if they give her pants and still don't give her any meaningful characterization then I am just about ready to bury my head in the sand and cry because it this was all just a waste of time anyway.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Because I don't know, what are all those animated clips from? They look really, really good.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Can I just say that the cartoon Justice League and its ilk are far in a million times better than almost every single super hero film to date.

I will even go as far as to say that the cartoon Avengers series is miles above its movie counterpart, no matter how good the Avengers movie was.

Ok back to the topic at hand, cant really say I am all that bothered. The jacket look, looks trendy at most but I get what Bob is going for , The leggings version just doesn't make her seem like a Amazon goddess, and the swim suit costume is my favorite cause I am a guy and yeah she just looks bad ass in it. Her legs as much as it makes me sound sexist is a focal point for the character. Bat man is black, superman has underwear on the outside and women wonder has wonder legs. Notice how the movie where superman didn't have his underwear on the outside sucked ass? Coincidence?

I would like to point out that I think the X Men have for a long time got this whole costume thing right. Everyone has a 1 size fits all same style costume and what attracts you to them is their powers( NOOO don't bring that Jubilee crap around here I don't have time to say how that character just doesn't work in any sense).

Gabbit has flaming stuff, cyclops shoots lazors and even Storm is frikken awesome cause she fires heaven smiting lightning from her hands not because her outfit looks like power girl.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I find those "Is the design of *insert random female character* sexist or empowering?" discussions mighty confusing a lot of the time. Like, I understand that having female characters who only have sex appeal going for them is something that bothers people; but at the same time you have characters like Bayonetta who are praised for how sexualized they are because there it's supposedly "ironic" or "empowering".

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I have less to say about her outfit as the woman playing her. Gal Godat just isn't a charismatic or skilled actor and her build is way too skinny. Yeah, I've gotten the argument that she can spend a few months in a gym, but there are scores of actually skilled actors with a more imposing build that would make better choices for WW (and I know they auditioned, who wouldn't?). But DC/WB remains the weak-willed, limp-wristed cowards they've always been, terrified of losing box office numbers because WW didn't thrust out her hips enough and/or is too physically imposing for the crowds of 16-something male audience-goers who need -4 Str submissive sex objects to be secure in their masculinity. And if you don't believe me read anything Frank Miller ever wrote about Wonder Woman, it's the most disgustingly sexist garbage I've seen in comic books since Women in Refrigerators became a recognized thing.

Fuck. Put Eva Green in the role. We've seen her play a sword-slinging Greek before and it left just the right amount of charismatic self-confidence and implied dominatrix-y female-dominant authority that MovieBob seems to insist WW has (not sure how he's reading that but hey, some people wear their less-than-subtle fantasies on their sleeves). She doesn't have the right build, but she has got buckets of charisma, and when you can ACT like you've got the physique of superhuman near-goddess, you don't need to actually have it.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
In the case of wonder-woman her overt sexuality shouldn't be an issue if they stay true to her origins. As in she comes from a matriarchal amazonian island of warrior lesbians. "Female sexuality as power" works if it's done right. Not power over men or anything like that, just strength and aptitude. That was kind of the point of wonder woman, she is completely in charge of everything about her. She doesn't have to wear sensible clothing because she's wonder woman.
This. Exactly this. I think Bob covered that in a previous episode? Anyway, whatever, can we just have her wearing the same thing as the old Lynda Carter TV show? It's iconic, not overly sexualized (I mean, seriously, look at it. It was on regular TV in the mid 70's). I always thought, if anything, she was WAY more attractive in her navy uniform.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Nooners said:
Because I don't know, what are all those animated clips from? They look really, really good.
Awesome cartoons....Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Nooners said:

They are from.

Wonder Women
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman_(2009_film)

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League:_Crisis_on_Two_Earths

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman/Batman:_Apocalypse

There you go.