The Big Picture: You Are Wrong About Sucker Punch, Part One

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Sucker Punch was boring. The frenetic action scenes were repetitive drivel which tried to use CGI and quick editing tricks to mask subpar choreography and uninspired framing. I don't care whether or not they were supposed to be repetitive drivel: I was still bored as fuck watching them. The excellent (and decidedly not fun) Chinese film Mr. Zhao contains a ten minute take of two people sitting on a badly lit sofa and having the same conversation over and over again, and that was still more interesting than anything in Sucker Punch.

As for the message? It's bullshit. Insulting, offensive bullshit. Are any of these movies feminist? Who cares? If Robin Morgan, Jessica Valenti, Andrea Dworkin, Catherine Breillat, Mary Wollstonecraft, Ozy Frantz, Noah Brand and Clarisse Thorn are all feminists (and that's only a very limited selection), I'm not sure how meaningful that adjective can actually be. The message Sucker Punch is pushing is the idea that having a sexual fantasy (specifically, a man having a sexual fantasy about a woman) is not only inherently wrong and harmful, but defines the person having it and their relations with others. It goes on to equate those fantasies (and here I would like to point out that the film specifically takes aim fantasies of men considered socially undesirable and thus already easy targets) with real acts of institutionalized abuse and violence. This is a blatant false equivalency and it plays to the romantic fantasies of the eternal female victim at the mercy of a cruel, brutish world that are far more insidiously patriarchal in their own right than any of the layered delusions. As a real life victim of institutionalized abuse committed by (mostly female) social workers on account of my mental condition, I was deeply offended by Sucker Punch and the shallow pandering drivel it attempts to pass off as a deconstruction. To be brutally honest, the film feels like an outdated separatist piece from thirty years ago more than anything else.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
MovieBob, as someone who sat down to watch this film with my friends and was the only person to "get" what this film was trying to do, i'm really grateful you've made these video's.

Suckerpunch is an incredibly clever and brave film, at least now i can feel more confident in explaining why that's the case. Personally i found the plot and action sequences repetitive, but i can see why Zack Snyder wanted to organise the plot that way. It's far from a perfect film, but the complex and clever message it contains makes up for that to a significant degree.

In the next episode i hope Moviebob talks more about the "pimp" character in the film, who i thought was a very interesting character, and in particular the final end scene when, if my memory serves me right, he tries to force a brain lobotomy on her. Lot's of interesting symbolism right there i thought.

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
I'm copying this from the comment section of the video because it's very appropiate:

"I don't like the idea of this movie. Basically it says that enjoying stripteases and fanservice is bad and makes you a bad person. I disagree.

There's nothing wrong with having a normal male libido"

To this I add: the parallel just doesn't exist. In the "real world" (of the movie) these girls are practically incarcerated in a mental asylum that might as well be a prison in order to get brainwashed and scammed out of their heritage.

Strippers offer a legal service for a price, voluntarily and out of their free will. And the strippers don't get harmed in their job in any way, mental or physical (well, most of the time, you see how those poles can be slippy sometimes..)

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
MovieBob said:
You Are Wrong About Sucker Punch
MovieBob delivers a Sucker Punch to your senses.
What exactly makes me wrong about it?
I do "get" the movie, but I don't think its good.

Immsys

May 23, 2009
Certainly the most antagonistic video title that you've used Bob. I didn't like Sucker Punch because it falls into the classic trap of being pro-female rather than pro-human, so I was expecting a rather different debate when I looked at the title. Still, I appreciate the objectivity of the video and enjoyed it immensely.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
I agree with most of your points about Sucker Punch so far, Bob.

You still suck for your arrogance and ignorant insults during the overall ME3 ending situation.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
You know, I haven't seen Sucker Punch and I still have no desire to see it. Watching this is probably the closest I will ever get to seeing that movie.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
So instead of it being a shallow attempt at getting young males to gawk at the action girls in lingerie, it's a deep attempt at getting young males to gawk at the action girls in lingerie and feel bad about it? Cool.

Although I want to know what was up with that ending? Why was it that other women's story rather than "babydoll".

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
I will simply direct people to the Everyone is Jesus in Purgatory [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EveryoneIsJesusInPurgatory] trope on TV Tropes for why I really disagree with Bob on this one. Just swap out "English Teacher" with "Film Critic" and you've got pretty much my exact thoughts.

theblindedhunter

Jul 8, 2012
Zack Synder's movies seem to have a theme of being exceptionally complex, multi-level analyses, at least to the point that the message is further down than most people realize. The same thing was apparently the case in his Dawn of the Dead remake - it was apparently intended to be as much a consumer satire as Romero's (actually a better one, he sounded really pretentious about that, I'll say), yet most just take it as a zombie action flick.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
ritchards said:
So... this is another one of those things whereby the only way to win is to not participate?
No moreso than any other forum thread on any website on the internet. Nothing productive will come of this except that some people might end up crossing lines and getting warnings/banninnation, which may or may not be a good thing. Other than that, you're going to have the usual "I loved it, you all suck." "I hated it, you all suck." "I didn't watch it, you all suck." "I dont speek Anglich, u all suk." and "Do you want a longer penis?" interspersed with clever comments about their captcha's (mine is "meat and drink", which could be rather appropriate as threads like this are the meat and drink of sites which rely on page views to make money) and links to other sites with reviews and analysis that posters like better than Film Robbies.

That it hit more than 180 in the first few hours of being released pretty much says it all.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
In other news: Bob has a video with the Catch Phrase "You are Wrong."

Clearly this is going to be well reasoned, respectful analysis and won't involve any poisoning of the well at all...

Really, Bob? I haven't even watched it yet and I'm already irritated at your opinion.

Someone kindly remove Mr. Chipman's head from his own sphincter. I liked him better before he got such an ego.