The biggest "Meh" of 2012

KingKickass

Oct 8, 2012
Ah 2012. What a great year for games. We've had Master Chief back after a long hiatus in 'Halo 4', Agent 47 makes a comeback in 'Hitman: Absolution', Desmond Miles' story arc comes full circle in 'Assassin's Creed 3', Ubisoft's Far Cry series makes it's third installment in 'Far Cry 3', Nintendo released it's next gen system the WiiU, and Bethesda made a leap in IP with it's new franchise 'Dishonored'. Yes, 2012 was a good year... but what about the OTHER games? Sure there were a bunch of great games; but what about those games that were just shy of great, or so horribly awful should be passed over by anybody and everybody? Now, I know there are a LOT of people who are going to say Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, or a game I mentioned above either because they truly think it, or just for the sake of saying it; so I want you not only to say which game(s) you thought were just a big meh this year, but WHY you think so.

Personally, 'Medal of Honor: Warfighter'. I was really hyped for it because of the different countries you could play as; I preordered it, got it, played it for a bit, got distracted by other MUCH better games (Here's lookin' at you AC3 and Dishonored), and really haven't played it much since. It's not a quote unquote bad game, but it gets dull rather quickly. The times I do go to pick it up and play it, I play it for about 30 minutes- 1 hour before I got play something else such as League of Legends or Battlefield 3. Hopefully EA and Danger Close will fix the problems with it and make it a better, more enjoyable game.

P.S Sorry for the wall of text, just enthusiastic :)

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
I have to be honest, Assassin's Creed was a giant meh for me. In many ways it was a fantastic game, but in the end it just felt like a giant let down, compared to what it could have been.

It just felt disjointed, and I think the lack of proper buildings like in the last few really did it an injustice. Also, the whole trading convoys was a real annoyance compared to the ease of buying buildings etc in the previous games. Overall, I thought the only stand out bit was actually the naval combat. I would almost play an entire game of that.

camerinian

Mar 16, 2012
Remember that game Binary Domain that released early in the year? Saw a few articles about it on websites and magazines prior to its release, and I could tell from then that it would just sink as another generic cover based third-person shooter. Hell, even its name was bland sounding. I ended up renting it much later on and, surprise surprise, that's all it was, a generic cover based third-person shooter. It's not broken or infamous by any means, I just felt like I was playing a Gears Of War re-skin with robots.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
"Meh" can apply to most games released every year. Mediocrity is the greater part on the gauss curve and there's too little difference to be worth arguing wether a game is just above or a little below average in quality. So meh it is.

It's only the rare excellent games and the horrible turds that really stand out.
The meh list is endless.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
AssCreed 3 - Incredibly boring and as easy as it's always been. Naval missions were incredible though.
Hitman Abssolution - Worst game I've played in the past 5 years or so. Took out everything that made the series great.
NFS Most Wanted 2 - Went from one of the best racers of all time to a piece of shit with ridiculous amounts of rubber banding. Uninstalled after 2 hours.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Max Payne 3.

The story was great, and I loved the bullet time and what not, but there were far to many levels that forced me to run along a narrow path directly into fire. There's also the unfair health system where in which the enemy AI has extrodinarily tough chest which can handle a few buck shots whilst Max seems to go down after 5 pistol bullets hit him. Also, the mission at the docks, if you accidently dive into the water you have to start all over again with the bloody boat people shooting at you with the other guys keeping you from moving. I also got annoyed at the AI partner whom in missions seemed to just sit back and complain rather than shoot, and then in the stadium mission, he gets a sniper rifle, tells me that he'll cover me while I try and catch this other dude, and then doesn't take one god damn shot.

Great story, infuriating game mechanics...that makes the game pretty meh for me

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Assassin's Creed 3

The naval missions were the only saving grace. Everything else from the characters, to the story, to the setting, and the gameplay were uninspiringly dull. I couldn't even finish it, and ultimately traded it in for Far Cry 3. Good thing, too.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
AC3...I hope to finish it before next year but I'm probably not going to be bored enough to attempt that. And also the new enemies in Halo 4 sucked to the point where I don't want to play the game anymore, which is bad as I'm a Halo fanboy...

his1nightmare

Nov 8, 2010
FFP2 said:
NFS Most Wanted 2 - Went from one of the best racers of all time to a piece of shit with ridiculous amounts of rubber banding. Uninstalled after 2 hours.
While I could have waived far too many games this year... I agree to this one most.
Not only NFS itself should finally go to hell, no; Criterion Games first teases us with a halfway properly executed Hot Pursuit, only to release a completely useless MW remake short time after. The turning abilities of -every single- car make you punch something, the drifting mechanic is almost as bad as in The Run, the "Frostbite" (god, what a fitting name... freeze, freeze, freeze) engine provides as many lags and crashes as you might expect and on top of everything the entire HUD/design does nothing than crush your eyesight.

What can I say? The game "Distance" is coming at the end of 2013...

Also Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale... -.- .

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Assassin's Creed III. I was disappointed to find out that it went, yet again, into the Animus and another memory. I did like, however, that there was more Desmond gameplay. Overall, it wasn't great though. The free running felt really restricted and there didn't seem to be many ways to assassinate people. Oh, and the goddamn eaves dropping missions.
Also, is Desmond dead now? Is everyone dead? If he is, I'm going to be pissed. If there's another game that involves another ancestral memory, I'll explode. I. Want. To. Play. As. Desmond!

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i would say ass creed but since i only kinda liked part two and they removed the best thing(big sprawling cities) in the game in favor of pandering to american audiences(if you wanted the time period set the game in paris or london, BOOM big, interesting cities)i didn't even pick it up.
darksiders 2, i really liked darksiders and i usually like open-world things but the lackluster combat system really killed this one since it just felt too long and drawn out

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Uhm.. biggest "Meh" and you don't come up with the clear winner of that? :)

Diablo 3 handsdown. You've got to stand in awe by the mediocrity of this game compared to the hype + expectations.
It should've been the cure to cancer, the holy grail and sliced bread in one game aaaaaand it ended up as just another Activision-moneygrab. Yay.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Creator002 said:
Assassin's Creed III. I was disappointed to find out that it went, yet again, into the Animus and another memory. I did like, however, that there was more Desmond gameplay. Overall, it wasn't great though. The free running felt really restricted and there didn't seem to be many ways to assassinate people. Oh, and the goddamn eaves dropping missions.
Also, is Desmond dead now? Is everyone dead? If he is, I'm going to be pissed. If there's another game that involves another ancestral memory, I'll explode. I. Want. To. Play. As. Desmond!
Desmond has the character appeal of a stinky sock to be honest. I think that more appealing characters we play as have outshone him for five games. I have to agree that Assassins Creed was a meh to beat all mehs. They really have to end that story arc its just getting silly now.

Tentaquil

Oct 21, 2011
I will only say this because I am in the presence of such learned pop culture and video games buffs that frequent this site, but the biggest meh was, for me

The Dark Knight Rises

The whole series felt as if it were to crescendo toward the final install, each one topping the last. However, while the movie itself was good, I don't think it built on it's predecessors.

But we'll hate it, because it can take it. Because it's not the movie we deserved, but it's the one we needed right now. A solid endstone, a defining part, a good trilogy....

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Wolf In A Bear Suit said:
Desmond has the character appeal of a stinky sock to be honest. I think that more appealing characters we play as have outshone him for five games. I have to agree that Assassins Creed was a meh to beat all mehs. They really have to end that story arc its just getting silly now.
Oh, I agree 100% that Desmond's character is quite poor, but I'm actually into the "present day" story they have going. I want to see that completed more than that I want to play as Desmond. It just happens that he's the character during those parts of the game.

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not going to lie - no game really stuck out as "great" for me this year. I was disappointed by Mass Effect 3, even when excluding the ending.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
Tentaquil said:
I will only say this because I am in the presence of such learned pop culture and video games buffs that frequent this site, but the biggest meh was, for me

The Dark Knight Rises

The whole series felt as if it were to crescendo toward the final install, each one topping the last. However, while the movie itself was good, I don't think it built on it's predecessors.

But we'll hate it, because it can take it. Because it's not the movie we deserved, but it's the one we needed right now. A solid endstone, a defining part, a good trilogy....
they where never going to beat TDK. they had no joker equivilant, and they knew they had to close the story.

its still a good movie but its going to be compared to what came before

OT: 4 big names

ME3
AC3
hitman abso (WTF did you do, just remake Blood money)
Dayz (its nice, i prefer ARMA2 though)