The Billy Mitchell Effect

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
The Billy Mitchell Effect

What has a mullet, wears tight black jeans and is good for gaming?

Read Full Article

dwightsteel

Feb 7, 2007
Billy Mitchell is still a raging assclown though. But, still, compelling there Endizzle. I still haven't forgiven you for your cheap SFIV loss though.

paste

Oct 31, 2008
Yes, it is unfortunate that such a lack of savior faire is characteristic of those at the apex of gaming. Maybe it's akin to the lack of mental faculties most sports heroes exhibit in post-game interviews. Perhaps that is why Wiebe is portrayed as the hero in King of Kong, to give us a friendlier, more modest face. I guess we should be happy that we aren't associated with rapes or biting ears off, etc.

And I don't know about you, but I think it's more Donkey Kong, not Pac-Man, that invokes Mitchell's image for me. And even having said that, I still don't really associate those games that I spent hours playing in my youth with the top scorers I've only heard of and seen briefly. These small nuggets of fame that pro gamers receive are probably due to the fact that games are more interactive than sports. Gaming still isn't widely considered a spectator sport; it's much easier and rewarding to play them at home or even watch someone play them at your house. Even in a "home spectator" setting, people don't watch the player unless they wield the controller wildly. In much of videogame culture, the player is not the focus; the game is. So I don't think gaming needs Mitchell, Ashman, or any of them. They don't serve a purpose; they simply exist.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
SF3 and Ikaruga vids gave me the chills. Really, they sent chills down my spine. They showed godly hand-eye coordination.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
dwightsteel said:
Billy Mitchell is still a raging assclown though. But, still, compelling there Endizzle. I still haven't forgiven you for your cheap SFIV loss though.
True, he is. But like him or hate him, he's done a LOT for making us remember the games of our youth. I wouldn't have cared at all about DK except for the fact that King of Kong made him look like an arrogant ass that didn't even man up to his Wiebe's challenge.

Got me to look at other classic games and what I want to work on in regards to past games. I was surprised at all of the people that still play the old arcade games. May go down to Florida just for that.