The Book That Can't Wait Really Can't

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Book That Can't Wait Really Can't[/I]

A specially printed anthology of Latin-American authors lasts only two months once opened.

The first print run of El Libro Que No Puede Esperar comes in a sealed plastic bag. Why? Because the second you open it, the book's ink begins to react with light and oxygen. Two to four months later, the text will have disappeared completely.

The vanishing text is meant to represent the struggles of new authors, according to the Buenos Aires office of Creative Agency, DraftFCB.

"Books are very patient objects," said regional general creative director, Javier Campopiano. "We buy them, and then they wait for us to read them. Days, months, even years. That's OK for books, but not for new authors. If people don't read their first books, they'll never make it to a second."

The book also serves to highlight how vulnerable printed work is to time and decay: a pertinent reminder of how, not too long ago, an open flame or a leaking roof could effectively erase hundred's of years worth of culture and history. Perhaps there's a little commentary on print's uncertain future in face of the growing popularity of Ebooks as well.

Or it could just be a very clever way to get people to buy another copy of the book.

You may now make that "I hope they do the same for Twilight/Fifty Shades of Grey" crack you've been holding in since the first paragraph.

Source: Youtube [http://youtu.be/gHl8IqCqza8]

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
That's...a rather stupid idea.

So, in order to "prove a point" to the world, namely how printed works are becoming dare I say, obsolete, they write a book in disappearing ink so consumers will buy and read it posthaste? I'm sorry, that just sounds like a lot of effort for nothing, as well as a scam to get money. What if you want to read the book at a later date, assuming it's any good?

Will you have to really buy another copy of the book? That's...again, really stupid.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I'd so do this for a practical joke. Buy a book someone wants but don't tell them it will disappear in 2 months. Then when they eventually get around to reading it then it will probably have disappeared and is useless!

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
Nah, I was holding on to:

Golly, I wish they could do that to The Escapist

Parivir

Jul 20, 2009
So you buy the book and keep it in the sealed bag until you can be arsed to read it, that way the book keeps as long as you want it to and the authors still don't get there stories read.

Besides surely authors get a second book based on sales of the first and if the first book gets bought in large numbers then stores will buy the second book in similar quantities, the problem is the third book.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Always fun to see new ideas trying to express themselves. While it's obvious only very artsy people want to be a part of this, I still have immense respect for people trying to portray different philosophies and thoughts in unique ways.

Arkley said:
I'm guessing there won't be an ebook version
Just make the file either delete itself after a certain time, or just replace the files with empty .txt files.

BTW: That'd be a pretty funny prank/gift for an unassuming friend.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Why would I want to buy a second book from someone who depended on some pseudo-avant-garde gimmick to draw attention to his/her/its first one?

For that matter, why would I want to buy the first one?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Grey Carter said:
A specially printed anthology of ]the works of Latin-American authors lasts only two months once opened.

A better opening line thing. A bit less confusing.

OT: This is not a very smart idea. What if there is a whole in the bag? What if I never open it? IF something tears while shipping, will the bookstores get compensation? Will you be able to return it? Is this the DRM of used bookstores? Can it be used in libraries?

Vandalism seems easy. Just open them in the bookstore and now they are un-buyable.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Seems far too elaborate an idea to get their point across. Someone will probably copy it word for word anyway.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I get what they're getting across but what about those who read the same book more than one time (not me before you asked) or read it years later? Beside there will always be an online version of that book anyway should you fail to read it within the two months.
Also it better be cheap since you are also pretty much buying a big blank notebook after the two months.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
A book... DRM?
To prevent second hand sales?

I really don't see any other reason for this... this... I don't even know what to name this...

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Stupidest way to sell books ever. One reason books have stayed around even though everything is digital now is permanency. Taking that away just to make a stupid point is idiotic.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
A book... DRM?
To prevent second hand sales?

I really don't see any other reason for this... this... I don't even know what to name this...
That was my thought too, now some publisher is looking at this, and thinking "Damm it! Why didn't I do this in the 90's?!?!"

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
The absolute stupidity behind this is astonishing.

New authors shouldn't make people read their books by enforcing a time limit on it, they should WRITE GOOD BOOKS.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
As a librarian and archive hobbyist, I find this idea both intriguing and frustrating. It's an interesting collectible with a creative method of spreading it's message....and it's also a self-destroying text.

Aglynugga

Jul 25, 2010
...what can anyone say about a book that destroys itself? At least this appears only to be for the first print run, so for people that enjoy collecting books, the second print will perhaps last them longer.