The bright star of a family.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I've read a thread about a family thinking of naming their kid after Tali'Zorah nar Rayya from Mass Effect, and that gave me the idea to throw this out of the blue. If I were to have a son, I was thinking of naming him Albireo (al-beer-e-oh, for those who don't know the pronounciation), Al for short. I figured it'd be nice to name him after a star in the milky way, to signify that he's the bright little star of the family (it'd be more appropriate if he had heterochromia, multiple eye colors, since Albireo is a binary star). What do you all think?, would it be fine?, or would he get picked on in school because kids are cruel?

TL;DR: If I get a son, I want to name him Albireo, after the star, Al for short. Is it a bad idea to name him such?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
It worked in .hack//AI-Buster. (Okay, it was a player's name, but it was clever.)

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Hm, it's not a bad name, to be honest it's not the sort of name I'd choose but I can't see it being a huge cause of grief either. The main concern I'd bring up is pronunciation, before I saw your pronunciation I said it aloud in my head as 'al-by-e-oh' and I could see a lot of people making that same mistake. That and the middle part sounds like 'Beer' which is kinda funny, but it isn't terrible, just sounds foreign to my British ears.

Dec 14, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
Fucks sake, when did the Escapist become a baby naming forum?

[small][small][small][small][small]Can't wait for the Maternity Lingerie posts to start popping up.[/small][/small][/small][/small][/small]
You're telling me Ā¬_Ā¬

Also, heterochromia? Are you fucking shitting me?

You want your kid to have mismatched eyes because raisens?!

I don't even.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Daystar Clarion said:

I don't even.
...Raisens? Sorry, I am completely lost.

OT: It's good, but not as good as Optimus or Imhotep. Then again, nothing is.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
You're telling me Ā¬_Ā¬

I don't even.
What part of my post mentioned anything about raisens? Also, the heterochromia would be optional, yet appropriate.

Dec 14, 2009
DarklordKyo said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You're telling me Ā¬_Ā¬

I don't even.
What part of my post mentioned anything about raisens? Also, the heterochromia would be optional, yet appropriate.
Barbas said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I don't even.
...Raisens? Sorry, I am completely lost.

OT: It's good, but not as good as Optimus or Imhotep. Then again, nothing is.
Can't say I'm not disappointed.

Heterochromia...

Christ, feels like I'm in a bad JRPG

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I think with any fairly long name, the prospective parents need to ask themselves, "does this sound pretentious?"

No offense, but I think Albireo falls into that category. Unless you're Italian. Then I guess it kind of works.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Your kid would be probably better off if you picked his name with him in mind, rather than yourself. Actually, given the name you want, he'd definitely be better off.

James Rednok

Apr 16, 2009
The Funslinger said:
I think with any fairly long name, the prospective parents need to ask themselves, "does this sound pretentious?"

No offense, but I think Albireo falls into that category. Unless you're Italian. Then I guess it kind of works.
I concur. If anyone ever introduced themselves to me as 'Albireo' I would just have to look at them for a moment with a mixture of disbelief and uncontrollable annoyance. If anyone ever introduced their CHILD as such, I'd just leave. It's like those dipshits who choose a perfectly ordinary name, but spell it in a completely assanine way; like instead of 'Anthony' having it be 'Annethownee'.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
James Rednok said:
The Funslinger said:

I concur. If anyone ever introduced themselves to me as 'Albireo' I would just have to look at them for a moment with a mixture of disbelief and uncontrollable annoyance. If anyone ever introduced their CHILD as such, I'd just leave. It's like those dipshits who choose a perfectly ordinary name, but spell it in a completely assanine way; like instead of 'Anthony' having it be 'Annethownee'.
Also, it's just hit me: Albireo sounds like a brand of yoghurt, like Activia.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I like it personally, maybe because it sounds like the spanish super hero with beer like powers.

El Beerio!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
SecondPrize said:
Your kid would be probably better off if you picked his name with him in mind, rather than yourself. Actually, given the name you want, he'd definitely be better off.
Pretty much this.

As another poster said in the Tali'Zorah thread, your kid is their own person not your accessory. Pick a normal name that you figure they'll like, not some super unique yet annoyingly stupid one just because you think it sounds cool right now.

Thinking about it another way, naming your kid is like getting a temporary tattoo that lasts for at least 18 years for someone else. Are you really going to do that to your kid, brand him with something annoying that he's going to hate just because you want to be unique and special?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh yes, I saw that episode. It was good. I still don't exactly follow what you mean, but then it is late and I am drunk, so hey.

I don't really understand the vitriol this guy is getting. If people are that annoyed by the thread, why do they post in it? This is going to end up like that Quran thread. Why are the humans doing it? I don't understand them!

"...If I were to have a son, I was thinking of naming him Albireo (al-beer-e-oh, for those who don't know the pronounciation), Al for short. I figured it'd be nice to name him after a star in the milky way, to signify that he's the bright little star of the family..."
That actually sounds...sweet.

Bad judgement call? Maybe, it's debatable. It would work if he was Italian, though. He's just doing it, or considering doing it, out of love and affection. It's not like he's shopping for 'Baby on Board' signs, he's just excited.

I...don't feel well. I'll be in Forum Games.

UnluckyObserver

Mar 16, 2013
DarklordKyo said:
(it'd be more appropriate if he had heterochromia, multiple eye colors, since Albireo is a binary star)
I was sort of for it, since Albireo isn't a terrible unique name in comparison to others, but that quote alone just screams to me that it's just something you think would be cool at this moment in time, and is probably more suited to naming an OC fan fiction character.

I mean, you're going to hope your kid somehow manages to get heterochromia, which is pretty rare, for the sake of a name being more appropriate?

I guess I just feel like a child's name isn't a canvas for you only, and it does affect them and their lives too. This is coming from someone with a unique name (and to make things worse, with the wrong punctuation in it too because parents didn't know any better) who only in recent years has come to like their name after years of wanting to change it as soon as they turned 18.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Will he be a member of The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black? If so, go for it.

If not, don't start naming kids after stars because you think it's cool... (or other things, for that matter) Please, your kid is not your toy. This is not as bad as the Tali'Zorah thing, but it gets close.

Also, the heterochromia? Ugh...

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
The Funslinger said:
James Rednok said:
The Funslinger said:

Also, it's just hit me: Albireo sounds like a brand of yoghurt, like Activia.
Personally, I think it would be much better if more people started naming their children interesting names. In a few decades time there would be loads of people with unusual names and everyone else would start to feel left out.

If I ever have children on my own, they won't be called something conventional.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
GundamSentinel said:
Will he be a member of The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black? If so, go for it.
This was my first thought as well XD *high five*

Personally I'd advise against it, purely because if I'm brutally honest I think "Albireo" looks and sounds a bit rubbish.

The heterochromia comment makes me doubt you're being entirely serious though. That or you're about 14 and (hopefully) in no imminent danger of spawning (ouch, that sounds bitchy :/ No offence meant, it's just this sounds like the sort of thing I would have thought was cool at that age). So I shan't say any more.