The bright star of a family.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Flames66 said:
The Funslinger said:
James Rednok said:
The Funslinger said:
I think with any fairly long name, the prospective parents need to ask themselves, "does this sound pretentious?"

No offense, but I think Albireo falls into that category. Unless you're Italian. Then I guess it kind of works.
I concur. If anyone ever introduced themselves to me as 'Albireo' I would just have to look at them for a moment with a mixture of disbelief and uncontrollable annoyance. If anyone ever introduced their CHILD as such, I'd just leave. It's like those dipshits who choose a perfectly ordinary name, but spell it in a completely assanine way; like instead of 'Anthony' having it be 'Annethownee'.
Also, it's just hit me: Albireo sounds like a brand of yoghurt, like Activia.
Personally, I think it would be much better if more people started naming their children interesting names. In a few decades time there would be loads of people with unusual names and everyone else would start to feel left out.

If I ever have children on my own, they won't be called something conventional.
And there's nothing wrong with that. Hell, one of the names I've considered for my theoretical son is Roland.

But there's a point where things do get a bit silly.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
The Funslinger said:
Flames66 said:
The Funslinger said:
James Rednok said:
The Funslinger said:
I think with any fairly long name, the prospective parents need to ask themselves, "does this sound pretentious?"

No offense, but I think Albireo falls into that category. Unless you're Italian. Then I guess it kind of works.
I concur. If anyone ever introduced themselves to me as 'Albireo' I would just have to look at them for a moment with a mixture of disbelief and uncontrollable annoyance. If anyone ever introduced their CHILD as such, I'd just leave. It's like those dipshits who choose a perfectly ordinary name, but spell it in a completely assanine way; like instead of 'Anthony' having it be 'Annethownee'.
Also, it's just hit me: Albireo sounds like a brand of yoghurt, like Activia.
Personally, I think it would be much better if more people started naming their children interesting names. In a few decades time there would be loads of people with unusual names and everyone else would start to feel left out.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Hell, one of the names I've considered for my theoretical son is Roland.

But there's a point where things do get a bit silly.
Hey Roland! :D

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
...Yes. Albireo, Al for short. If my name was bloody Albireo, I would never introduce myself as it and would absolutely dread school. I probably wouldn't like you very much either, no offence.
Just imagine the school conversations though. First off the teacher attempts to pronounce it, so you can either say "No miss, it's pronounced Albireo, after a binary star" and be thought a pretentious tosser and laughed at by most of the kids and some of the teachers, or you can say "Just Al, please." and the teachers will silently judge your parents.
Or you can call your child something like Roger, which is both unusual and yet an actual person name.

nariette

Jun 9, 2013
Kids will be picked on if they are slightly different. If they are different, bullies will use the most absurd things to find on him or her to bully him, just for bullying. I was bullied in elementary school. Because I was different. Now when I think back, they bullied me for my accent, vocabulary and name. Totally ridiculous when you look back, but because I was slightly different, they found anything to make me feel bad. My name isn't even that bad. If I was just like the others I would have never gotten bullied for it. But a name like Albireo will already stand out and have kids say "Albireo, what kind of name is that?", and if your child doesn't have a proper comeback the bullying will start.

Flames66 said:

Of course, one should think of a special name for their child. But this is taking it to extremes. There are lots of beautiful names that are both original and bully-proof.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
To everyone who stumbles upon this thread, I'm sorry if I came off as being an asshole. If I were to be a father, I wouldn't want my kid to be nothing more than a canvas to project myself upon. I should've thought things out more, and I should've explained better. On top of that, to clarify, I'm not actively hoping my theoretical kid has heterochromia, it's just that it'd be appropriate if that were to end up being it's name. If I need to name a kid, I'll try to figure out a name that won't make both my kid and myself look bad.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
nariette said:
Kids will be picked on if they are slightly different. If they are different, bullies will use the most absurd things to find on him or her to bully him, just for bullying. I was bullied in elementary school. Because I was different. Now when I think back, they bullied me for my accent, vocabulary and name. Totally ridiculous when you look back, but because I was slightly different, they found anything to make me feel bad. My name isn't even that bad. If I was just like the others I would have never gotten bullied for it. But a name like Albireo will already stand out and have kids say "Albireo, what kind of name is that?", and if your child doesn't have a proper comeback the bullying will start.

Flames66 said:

Of course, one should think of a special name for their child. But this is taking it to extremes. There are lots of beautiful names that are both original and bully-proof.
Could you give a few examples? I'm interested now.

My personal favorites at the moment are:

Roland
Zephram
Wolfgang
Kal

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
We just had an 11 page discussion all about this - please go read that -.- The only thing specific about this is where Albireo falls on the "WTF - Normal/Boring" spectrum, and that's down to interpretation.

My own? It's fairly strange. A bit over the border. I personally wouldn't recommend it. I'm not sure it even sounds like a name. It doesn't have an apostrophe though so that's a plus.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Since a couple of people brought it up, since when is "Roland" an odd name? A little old-fashioned, but I still see a decent number of under-50s with it.

James Rednok said:
Wouldn't you just assume it was ethnic rather than creative? I mean, there are a lot of pop-culture or trendy names that are clearly someone being obnoxious, but as unusual names go this one doesn't seem ring quite so clearly as one of those.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
If I ever have a kid, their first name will probably be from a king or queen of England post-Norman-conquest. I don't believe given names should be unique, and a name that has a history is classy.

The middle name, however, that's going to be the fun bit. Those are supposed to be embarrassing, so that's where you put the cool-sounding weird thing. I'm thinking "Danger". Or "Xanatos". Or "Maximus". Or "Tiberius". Or "Nyarlathotep". Or "Charlemagne".