The Brothers Mario Turns Lovable Plumbers Into Sadistic Thugs

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
The Brothers Mario Turns Lovable Plumbers Into Sadistic Thugs

The Brothers Mario is hands down one of the best mature takes on Super Mario Bros. to hit the internet.

A newly released work of machinima merges Mario's concepts with the seriousness of Grand Theft Auto [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Playstation-3/dp/B000HKP88C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292383269&sr=8-1], along with a mafioso theme. The Brothers Mario turns Mario, his friends, and his enemies into gangsters, and re-imagines how their story would play out in a place like Liberty City.

For the record, that story would be epic. The Brothers Mario is a short film created by the Zelda cartoon [http://www.youtube.com/CountryClubPictures], but I can forgive Country Club this time.

In The Brothers Mario, Goombas are hefty henchmen, Lakitu is a combat helicopter, and King Koopa is the head of a violent crime organization. When gangsters Mario and Luigi pull off a job that nets them thousands of coins (in "?" boxes no less), little do they know that it belongs to Koopa himself, who kidnaps Peach, Mario's girlfriend. The Mario brothers try to return the money in exchange for Peach, but Koopa pulls a switcheroo by having his man dress up as her instead while hiding the real Peach in another "castle." Mario and Luigi are forced to team up with fellow thugs Toad and Yoshi to rescue her from Koopa's clutches.

Lucky for the brothers, Toad comes equipped with a rocket launcher in this version of Mario. Bullet Bill and the Hammer Bros show up as Koopa's heavy hitters, but they're no match for the team of Mario and Luigi. Instead of jumping on enemies' heads in this short film, Mario uses Molotov cocktails to destroy his foes.

I really like how The Brothers Mario inserts Mario references without being corny. Luigi asks a group of thugs with masks if they're "shy," referring to the game's Shy Guys. Mario asks for Luigi to "toss him some shells," meaning shotgun shells instead of Koopa Troopa shells. Toad blows up a limousine and says: "Now you're playing with power."

Mario and Luigi can even jump with the best of them, but only between buildings and away from exploding cars in The Brothers Mario. The ending, which includes a snippet of music from the Mario games, is just perfect. We can only hope that Country Club will have more Brothers Mario for us someday, because this is great stuff.

Thanks for the tip Civatrix [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/civatrix]!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Classic link reference

<youtube=thoUkHH-Njc>

EDIT: This would make a really decent film, and actually... I'm kinda curious to see how daisy would fit in.

Also picked hte wrong (same) zelda clip i had saved.

laryri

May 19, 2008
The best Mature take on Mario Brothers to hit the internet? Even better than the one featured on this here website?

Felgy76

Oct 29, 2008
That was fantastic.
I lost interest in Mario years ago, but I'd play that version.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Brawl just got gutted.

Anyway, good to see some Luigi fun. They actually made Luigi a 'fair' part of the universe, instead of 'that green guy'.

My hats off to them.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Gonna admit, I loved the Bullet Bill in this one.
Just seemed like a good fit.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009

*Knock Knock Knock*
Goomba:Who is it!?
*Mario walks in*
Mario:Its a me...Mario

I came.

I want this....

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
They should totally make this a real movie.

As in, real life, with professional actors and stuff. That would be awesome....and hopefully not turn out like that other Mario movie...*shudder*

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
That was pretty well made to cram that many references in there, if there is a part where they eat the wrong mushrooms and hallucinate it would be awesome.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
This is amazing, and I laughed so hard at the ending.

I'd pay for this, they should do more!

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Awesome, yes, but I think "best mature take to hit the internet" is flawed considering this very site hosted the series that deserves that title. This was great, but There Will Be Brawl still wins.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
This is what the Mario Brothers movie should have been all those years ago.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
That's the badassest line I've heard all week... "It's a me, Mario"

And Yoshi driving away from the Lakitu.. this video is just full of awesome.