The Cheating Confessional

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I have a hazy line that differentiates 'cheating,' which I treat as completely reprehensible, and 'exploiting', which varies. (I think there have been pedantic guides as to each term, glitching, etc., posted before)

Missingno I did, shit I wanted Mew (word was you could catch Mew where Missingno was, originally). Never did get him, though now whenever I read about Red/Blue apparently he was in there somewhere. Stuff like wave-dashing in SSB:M is something I often do and would call an exploit, which, being available to everyone, I don't have any issue with.

But on to cheating:
FF8 - gamesharked to get the items that summoned the little orange tiger guys (weren't in US release without some pocketstation garbage). Told all my friends I got the items using Angelo Search (which I can't recall, might actually be plausible).
Pokemon Red/Blue - gamesharked Mewtwo's stats. Then a friend who'd done the same thing and I dueled, it was humorous. He eventually used a poison move on me and we had to turn our games off finally because the way it would scroll down HP, and our Mewtwo's hp being nigh infinite, it was about a half hour of watching the bar go down. He maintains that the poison was actually going to kill me.
--
Those were the only 2 times I can think of back when I actually cared about cheating. Now I cheat all the time just so I can see the ends of games. I turned on godmode in Amnesia, use a trainer to godmode Farcry 1 when I tire of enemies shooting me through walls, and jack the hell out of the console commands in any Bethesda game I can (generally to fix bugs rather than exploit however). Accidentally kill a Brahmin in a firefight? She didn't deserve that, /resurrect. Overrun by Deathclaws at level 5? /kill. Can't find Lydia? player.moveto id

It's become a much more functional thing rather than a boasting matter. When you're my age no one cares if you beat Diablo on Inferno, they just want to hear if you enjoyed it or not.

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
Never cheated in a multiplayer game, of any sort, think that's entirely unfair. I cheat on single player all the time. Starcraft I liked (would say like but my computer breaks Starcraft now the games so old), I preferred my Zerg to be what they were portrayed as - an unstoppable machine of doom. So I'd use god mode and inch forward across the map, sometimes it took frggin' hours but it was enjoyable in a sadistic way.
Starcraft 2 I cheated on just to get through the game. It wasn't hard, it was just so goddamn boring and I didn't want to not complete a game I'd spent £20 on.

Skyrim I cheat on, but only when the games grossly unfair, like 4 Dragons suddenly swooping down just as I'm fighting a giant after I haven't seen any Dragons since the first one which was 200 hours ago. Yeah, I'm hitting godmode and killing them, mostly out of pure frustration.

Some games are just straight up boring without cheats. GTA, all of them, I've found every single one dull without cheats of some nature. I like the games as they are, but I go into them to do what -I- want, not what the game wants me to do, so I'm going to cheat to be able to do that if I have too.

Sep 14, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
skywolfblue said:
The last time I cheated, I think was almost a year ago, in Starcraft 2.

There comes a time in every mans life when he must say "Screw waiting for money, I want to build 20 battlecruisers, right NOW!".
Every RTS needs cheats, there is no fucking excuse. I hate CnC3 for that.
what bugs me so much is, when your vs'ing the computer opponent, they cheat ALL THE DAMN TIME (RTS's in general), so it's absolute bullshit when you can't do it even though they can, and most games don't inhibit them with the fog of war that you are.

I'ts bullshit when i'm building my first barracks (with bow and arrow and basic sword guys) and the cpu is already debating on building cannons or knights for it's next move.

OT: it's been a while since i actually "cheated", probably in space rangers 2, that was fucking annoying as hell when i would attack an enemy/pirate ship and they would just troll land on the planet until they got reinforcements to come harass me or i left, not to mention every ship out there was 10x better than mine was, so i used the 100,000 dollar cheat (which the game limits you on the cheat, so it's not like you can become an overpowered god)

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
In Oblivion I used the permanent buff cheat to make my skills WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY higher than they should have been.

Come to think of it, I always break every Bethesda game by the end of them

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
When I had first downloaded them onto my 3DS (ie: the first time I really played) Legend of Zelda and Zelda 2: Adventures of Link, I used a walkthrough to beat them...I used a walkthrough to 100% them...The second time I went through Zelda 2 I didn't use the FAQ to beat it but I did use the corner-glitch to beat Shadow Link (though not at first...I waited until my health was low)

I generally play games on easy and sometimes normal. This is apparently something I should be ashamed of.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Honestly who hasn't cheated in an Elder Scrolls game? I cheated like a mofo in every game since Morrowind. In Skyrim I also downloaded a mod that let me play as a W40K grey knight. Not technically cheating but I'm dual-wielding plasma pistols against guys with daggers.

Men of War, if anyone here has played it it's hard as fuuuuuuck. As a result I did use game trainers to give me some perks like super powered infantry. I try not to cheat at times but sometimes you get stuck and end up doing the same mission 10 times and then you snap.

As for Starcraft, if I recall correctly the AI has infinite resources and the difficulty level of the game determines how it uses it. Easy, handful of zerglings. Hard, horde of every single type of zerg. Pretty much the only reason the AI gathers resources is to give the appearance that it's playing by the rules you have to play by. By that logic though if you give yourself infinite resources you haven't cheated, you just leveled the playing field.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Morrowind and Oblivion script key abuse...repeatedly. Need potions (don't know why I didn't just restore health), need arrows, Unlock a chest with no lock picks, easy. I finished Morrowind before I discovered them, not so sure I'd finished Oblivion.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
I used mods in Skyrim to make some things weight less / nothing (don't know anymore what), that the collectable stones are on the mini map, and also something that tells me where exactly I have to put the cursor to unlock a lock.

There
Now I feel ashamed :(

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
When I was younger I used a Gameshark on everything. Now I'm not as great at games as I could have been :( Still building up the skill though.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I finished Doom 3 with a god-mode cheat.
But now that I have the BFG edition I'm going to see if I actually needed it or not.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
There may or may not have been some save scumming in X-Com (especially in the last level)

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I used a guide for some parts of Dark Souls (haha, Blighttown!). Others were old fashioned trial and error techniques of mine.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I used the spam enchanted daggars and detect life spell to power level my Enchanting and Illusion skills in Skyrim. In my defence I never before have ran a character that used those skills in an Elder Scrolls game because they seemed to take way too long to become useful previously and here was a method that allowed me quickly to get good skill in those areas.

I used the add $1 million in Mercenaries all the time. Though I don't think that's cheating myself, I mean if anything not giving yourself millions and setting off about 20 artillery bombardments you are cheating yourself out of so much hilarious enjoyment.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Last time I used a cheat was In the first Driver game on PS1. Even then I played it through again without cheats few months later.

Though I dont count the cheats I used for GTAs for when friends came over to just have some fun with unlimited ammo and shit.

I dont count exploits that I can trigger without any outside help as cheats either. I gladly used my bow to get the last boss first half of heath down in Demons Souls in NG+. Although I made sure I never have to use cheap tactics like that on the next playthroughs.

Now with guides I have a little "rule". If I cant get past somewhere for hours because I cant figure out a puzzle or something, I might use a guide. Same thing if I cant find the last few collectibles to finish the game on 100%.

So with these things in mind..yeah Driver was the last time. Cheating just ruins games completely for me.

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
Cheated in items in Baldur's Gate 2 to become the most badass Mage/Thief/Warrior this side of Amn.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Laluune said:
I didn't even know you could cheat in Starcraft II, I take it, it's just the single player campaign? Not mp surely. I once wrote "Laluune has left the game" as a joke but the person I was playing against took it seriously and left... so I won... I felt bad.
Yes, just the single-player. And it disables achievements (which is good).

I think it would be funny if they turned cheat codes on in multiplayer for a day. Two opponents both using God mode fighting a never ending battle forever and ever and ever... :p

Actually some of the non-god-mode cheats might make interesting Mutators (game variations). Like both players start with fast build, or fast unit healing. Or even a mode where every 10min a random cheat enables! It's probably been done already in custom games which I sadly haven't played much of.

orc1231515

Mar 18, 2010
I'd never cheat in PVP or any form of multiplayer where I'm against another human. But when it comes to single player games my rule is simple, games are for having fun! as soon as some thing starts to frustrate me that something needs fixing and cheats do the trick quite nicely.

madmatt

Jan 12, 2010
jedi outcast... it was a while ago, but it was quite hard without a helping hand every now and then

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I like to brag that I beat the Elite Four in Pokemon Ruby on my first try....with a Gameshark that gave me infinite Master balls so I could catch the high level Pokemon in Victory Road.

Satan

Dec 10, 2012
I cheated lots during warcraft 3, and in jak 3 I used a friends save to play that mission in the catacombs in the vehicle thing.