The China Syndrome

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Awesome article. I look forward to the next instalment!

We love to trade with a country that has a shocking record of human-rights abuses, and with a cultural need to save face.

Heaven help if you offend them, all their valuable $ will forever be lost to you!

Magicite Spring

Apr 15, 2012
maninahat said:
That is another element to it. It seems to me that if game companies want to appeal to the Chinese, they shouldn't really be portraying them as murderous villains in the first place. I thought we were passed the whole soulless Soviet propaganda movie thing in the 80s, but it seems were still okay with telling the same story even today.

The best way around it would be to simply cast the protagonist as a non-American, thus allowing you to pick and choose which nation is antagonising the hero. It is just as tasteless, but at least you can pick a nation who's inevitable boycotting of your game will be negligable in terms of sales. Might as well go full bastard with this sort of thing.
This happened in John Marsden's "Tomorrow When the War Began", where Australia gets invaded by a military force that isn't named. But I guess it is easier in a book when you don't even have to describe the invaders, unlike a movie were you have to see them.

The movie, if I remember correctly, cased the invaders as Asian, but never explicitly says what country they're from. So the audience can decide if its a Chinese, Japanese, Korean or even a coalition army thats invaded.

Grumpy Ginger

Jul 9, 2012
Seriously if they can have a tin pot dictator and his impoverished country take over the world why can't we have Australia take over the world that would be hilarious especially since we would be defeated the second a public holiday came around and we would all be piss drunk.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
GTwander said:
BrotherRool said:
The whole China thing is weird though, because I know lots of chinese people or people with chinese parents and they're always very proud of their home country and want to show off it's achievements and successes, but China also does one 1984 style thing after another. It's weird, like the people and the government exist in two completely different places and the events happen on completely different levels.
As an American, I wanna say the exact same thing about my country.

(Though) Ironically, as an American, I'm actually allowed to.
I was wondering about this, what with the London riots, extraordinary extradition, third-party torture, some of the more draconian policies we've invented , China loves to throw this sort of thing in Britain's face and I was wondering if maybe it's just a media impression thing and in the US you've got Guantanomo etc and Julian Assuange, but then like you said, as British person I'm allowed to complain and we don't do things anywhere near the extent described in this article and we don't filter youtube and Google (although the UK's trying to catch up on that one)

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
China is a highly nationalistic country and ALWAYS acts out against what it deems as unfair or racist material(s). Of course the west are arrogant in the way they portray China and it is never fair [to China] - the only fair portray of China is one where China wins totally.

Thus the reaction is always over the top and the follow-through effect is that nobody want to touch your product in case they get punished too.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Grumpy Ginger said:
Seriously if they can have a tin pot dictator and his impoverished country take over the world why can't we have Australia take over the world that would be hilarious especially since we would be defeated the second a public holiday came around and we would all be piss drunk.
I'd actually like to see a movie with that premise.

On topic: well...it's china. it's more afraid of change than any other country and on top of that corrupt and easily offended to hell and back, so...

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
[youtube=pusyHn9S_L0
]

Have we forgotten that china is well ????

So no I'm not for " censoring " to appease CHINA. Next thing you'll want to do is censor these games here in the usa.

[youtube=iDfJq-90zGM&feature=plcp
]

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Robert Rath said:
BrotherRool said:
Thanks, I appreciate that! I'll be here every Thursday.

China is a strange place full of contradictions. It's a culture that's been around thousands of years, capped by a government whose political philosophies are less than a century old. They're supposedly Communist, but they have one of the largest capitalist markets in the world. They're major trade partners of the United States, and yet they regularly attack us through cyberspace as both sides build up Pacific fleets to counter the other. Added to that, there are major divisions between the older generation that grew up with Communism and the younger generation that's steeped in internet and consumer culture.

Basically, China is changing very rapidly while still trying to retain its cultural identity and strong central control. That makes it a really dynamic, interesting, and sometimes quite frightening place.
Good article. I've been living and working here for over 14 years now, and you have quite accurately presented some of the more interesting and/or bewildering aspects of Chinese society and governmental policy.

However, the concept of a "ban" here, as pertaining to art/media, really amounts to little more than "empty policy" for the sake of nationalistic propaganda. This is not just due to piracy, the grey market, or having the largest tech-savvy online population in the world. Rather, it's a matter of contradictory policy within the republic itself. A prime example of this is the fact that I have ordered and purchased uncensored, original copies of games through Hong Kong for at least the past 10 years.

These games come to the mainland via regular registered post, and are often inspected by customs prior to delivery. There is nothing "grey" about it. I'm talking about the uncensored Asian versions of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the Splinter Cell HD collection (one installment of which tasks Sam Fisher with some VERY touchy espionage/wet work- fans of the series will immediately recognise this reference), and even Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. This last title is not a good game, but the similarities between it and the current dispute regarding Diaoyu Islands are striking, albeit with the added incendiary element of American troops thrown into a fictional conflict with PRC troops. My point is that these titles are all available to me on mainland China, from a "special administrative region" of the PRC, without the need to resort to piracy or a grey market.

Now, take such inherent contradictions and combine them with a young, wired-in population that has a higher standard of education than ever before, and then attempt to contain all of this within a system of control that conforms to both a strictly communist nationalistic dogma AND a frenzied capitalistic mantra.
The result is an untenable bubble, and that is the bigger issue. No amount of "artistic tiptoeing" is going to alter that, nor does it even significantly affect sales or publicity within the PRC.

The situation certainly is dizzyingly dynamic, incredibly interesting...and more than a little frightening.

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
Dr.Panties said:
Good article. I've been living and working here for over 14 years now, and you have quite accurately presented some of the more interesting and/or bewildering aspects of Chinese society and governmental policy.

However, the concept of a "ban" here, as pertaining to art/media, really amounts to little more than "empty policy" for the sake of nationalistic propaganda. This is not just due to piracy, the grey market, or having the largest tech-savvy online population in the world. Rather, it's a matter of contradictory policy within the republic itself. A prime example of this is the fact that I have ordered and purchased uncensored, original copies of games through Hong Kong for at least the past 10 years.

These games come to the mainland via regular registered post, and are often inspected by customs prior to delivery. There is nothing "grey" about it. I'm talking about the uncensored Asian versions of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the Splinter Cell HD collection (one installment of which tasks Sam Fisher with some VERY touchy espionage/wet work- fans of the series will immediately recognise this reference), and even Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. This last title is not a good game, but the similarities between it and the current dispute regarding Diaoyu Islands are striking, albeit with the added incendiary element of American troops thrown into a fictional conflict with PRC troops. My point is that these titles are all available to me on mainland China, from a "special administrative region" of the PRC, without the need to resort to piracy or a grey market.

Now, take such inherent contradictions and combine them with a young, wired-in population that has a higher standard of education than ever before, and then attempt to contain all of this within a system of control that conforms to both a strictly communist nationalistic dogma AND a frenzied capitalistic mantra.
The result is an untenable bubble, and that is the bigger issue. No amount of "artistic tiptoeing" is going to alter that, nor does it even significantly affect sales or publicity within the PRC.

The situation certainly is dizzyingly dynamic, incredibly interesting...and more than a little frightening.
Great comment, thanks for sharing that.

You're absolutely right that the "grey market" really isn't that grey at all (my research tended to refer to buying games through the HK SAR as part of the grey market, but maybe there was a distinction I wasn't seeing) and frankly a lot of customs officials either don't care or can't tell one game from another, even when they're looking for contraband. I've written some stuff about games getting banned in Mexico for depicting the Cartel War and it's much the same thing - the ban itself is toothless and largely symbolic, since with a passport and a daytime work visa you can just stroll across the border and buy anything you want at an American GameStop. After all, border guards are more concerned about searching for drugs and assault rifles, and the idea that they'd go out of their way to confiscate a videogame is more than a little silly.

It's definitely obvious in the public sphere that game bans have little effect. I recently saw a Chinese film called Lee's Adventure where the protagonist had an Xbox 360 and pirated games, and the film treated it like a fact of life rather than some kind of illicit commodity.

Funny that you brought up Operation Flashpoint. I read somewhere that the government actually reversed their position on the game when someone pointed out that you could play as Chinese soldiers in the multiplayer. I left it out of the article because I couldn't source anything better than a forum rumor, but it was interesting nonetheless. And your point about the Daiyou Islands - wow, that really hits home. Didn't consider that until you mentioned it.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Amethyst Wind said:
I think I have a solution to keep both the Chinese and South Korean markets.

Make every nation-antagonist in all videogames Atlantis. That way nobody complains.

[sub][sub]Sorry Aquaman.[/sub][/sub]
Yeah, if the enemies don't represent people who don't exist in reality, no one has a right to feel offended.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
I'd like to echo others above in saying that this was an excellent article. Hope to see more from you! (Thursdays, you say?)

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I just clicked to see what the fuck is The China Syndrome, and actually found an interesting and informative article. Thank you.

Tjebbe

Jul 2, 2008
Rainforce said:
Grumpy Ginger said:
I'd actually like to see a movie with that premise.
Haha, "Quick, we need broadcast to all resistance groups we have found their fatal weakness: alcohol!"

GrrWolfie

Aug 29, 2008
Yes! I love this article

These companies willingly adopt and empower Chinese propaganda in their media not just for China but for Worldwide consumption. Utterly spineless and a backhand to anyone who's fought for the U.S. Constitution. On July 4th will Blizzard sensor any mention of Tienanmen Square in their chat rooms in China, perhaps Worldwide? You bet your ass. Anyone who nakedly adopts Chinese principals of censorship and promotes them worldwide through media should live in China.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Excellent article.

Why not make a game in which parts of a nation fight each other? Say, some American States wage war against some other American States. That would definitely be entertaining.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Gatx said:
Royas said:
I understand the financial reasons for making such changes, but it bothers me a lot that game and movie companies are so willing to cater to one country in the world. While China has a lot of people and is a potentially huge market (once the piracy issue is worked on), it's still one country, and I hate my products being subject to their censorship.

Also, the changes defy my ability to suspend disbelief. I can almost imagine (for example) an invasion by China. They have a lot of manpower, a good tech base and an aggressive history. North Korea though... imagining them invading the USA is rather like imagining a Pomeranian taking on a Rottweiler. The little Pom is going to get eaten, and the Rottweiler is barely going to notice. It's just not believable.
But on the other hand what's the point in writing a story where China, a country that the US is supposed to have friendly relations with, is the villain in the first place?I mean even when Russia's used as an enemy it's because some radical group organizes a coup or something, but when it's China, it's just... China that decides to take over the world. Obviously they would be pissed.

Now I'm not saying that they're not a country with problems or anything, but if you're supposed to be "friends" with someone you can't go around talking shit about them.
Since when are the US and China friends? That's stretching the definition beyond recognition. Intense rivals, yes. Neutral powers, maybe. Cautious neighbors, sure. Friends? No, not really. Too many differences in attitude for that. To call the two nations enemies is also incorrect, but I think it's far more likely for them to become enemies in the future than friends. Most likely, things are going to remain at their current level... tense rivals.

And I still maintain that I just can't take a plot that involves NK invading the USA seriously. It'd be like sticking the genitalia into a meat grinder... Painful and ugly. Just dealing with the US military would likely be beyond their ability, but throw in the National Guard and the armed citizenry... You won't have any more luck than you would invading Russia in the winter. Some things just can't be done.

China, due to it's massive population and military size, is at least somewhat believable as an invader. North Korea though? Nope, can't happen, they'd never get past the coastal states before being slaughtered. Pomeranian on a Rottweiler, like I said. That little Pom isn't even a decent meal. I can believe in magic and dragons, because that ain't the real world. But if you base a game around they actual modern world, you can't ask me to believe anything so far out as an invasion by NK. I just can't do it.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Matthi205 said:
Excellent article.

Why not make a game in which parts of a nation fight each other? Say, some American States wage war against some other American States. That would definitely be entertaining.
Nah. American States VS American States? It could never happen. Totally unrealistic. I mean, if it had, there would already be a large number of games based on it already on Steam. Probably at least one with an outlandish premise such as sending tanks back in time.

In all seriousness though, what we really need is a Civil War based game that isn't terrible. (NOTE: One probably exists that I haven't heard of)

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Cool article man.
Shame companies need to bend over for China, but the market is so lucrative they kinda need to if they wana stay capitalists.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Really, I think the problem comes down to us. We will still buy their products after they censor them, so all that matters in the end is what the censors in nations like China think. As the corperate mentality becomes increasingly ridiculous, what little civic beneift there was within the system begins to fade. Honestly we need to make these works that are critical of China because China itself needs to hear and see these things. By changing things to "North Korea" or backing down all we're doing is making thins worse, and coming closer to making the subject matter of these works a reality.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Royas said:
I understand the financial reasons for making such changes, but it bothers me a lot that game and movie companies are so willing to cater to one country in the world. While China has a lot of people and is a potentially huge market (once the piracy issue is worked on), it's still one country, and I hate my products being subject to their censorship.

Also, the changes defy my ability to suspend disbelief. I can almost imagine (for example) an invasion by China. They have a lot of manpower, a good tech base and an aggressive history. North Korea though... imagining them invading the USA is rather like imagining a Pomeranian taking on a Rottweiler. The little Pom is going to get eaten, and the Rottweiler is barely going to notice. It's just not believable.
Hollywood caters to the US constantly with their pro American films and games. ever wonder why there's no games about England or Russia saving the world from an American invasion? Companies make what their audience wants/likes, and they like to feel powerful and in the right. No matter who they are.