The Chinese housing bubble has finally crashed, Evergrande stock in a freefall

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Maybe that means Chinese speculators will stop buying up housing in California as a way to move money out of China and the insane prices will drop a little so I can buy a house.
That's still a thing huh? When I was kid visiting my relatives in the States almost a decade ago, they were already complaining about this.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Copper standard maybe? It is more useful than gold now...
The main point of gold is that it's inert and easy to store due to it's relative rarity (ie you don't need mega warehouse to hold millions of dollars in gold). But if people are holding it in case of society collapse then that's very dumb since it would have almost no use in that case (so would almost every metal tbh). Copper would have more use (can make bronze relatively easy in case of large scale society collapse) but it rust over time. Aluminum is a somewhat attractive alternative, if society collapse it will become very hard to make new aluminum so it's price will increase, but it's pretty easy to recycle so it'll take time before price really incease. Pure silicon could actually be an attractive alternative, it doesn't degrade and has plenty of use and demand. But the problem is that it has to be doped to specific amount for application and there's no guarantee that current doping agent/amount are going to be standard in the future.

Anyway as for Evergrande, its situation has been known for quite awhile, I would guess if teh CCP was gonna do a full rescue it would have done it already so they'll probably let it fail. It's not that important to their market and they'll probably just have other state owned entity shield any consumer that could get hurt to hard. There's actually another massive state owned bank (forgot the name) that's also on the precipice of bankruptcy apart and that one they'll probably rescue though.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
That's still a thing huh? When I was kid visiting my relatives in the States almost a decade ago, they were already complaining about this.
It's similar here too.

This is hardly unique to China, but in both agriculture and real-estate, there's a lot of Chinse overseas ownership of property here, and in the latter, it's raised housing prices.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I dunno Gold is very useful on electrical contacts. It's why most of the better quality connector stuff is gold plated to give a better contact.

The main point of gold is that it's inert and easy to store due to it's relative rarity (ie you don't need mega warehouse to hold millions of dollars in gold). But if people are holding it in case of society collapse then that's very dumb since it would have almost no use in that case (so would almost every metal tbh). Copper would have more use (can make bronze relatively easy in case of large scale society collapse) but it rust over time. Aluminum is a somewhat attractive alternative, if society collapse it will become very hard to make new aluminum so it's price will increase, but it's pretty easy to recycle so it'll take time before price really incease. Pure silicon could actually be an attractive alternative, it doesn't degrade and has plenty of use and demand. But the problem is that it has to be doped to specific amount for application and there's no guarantee that current doping agent/amount are going to be standard in the future.

Anyway as for Evergrande, its situation has been known for quite awhile, I would guess if teh CCP was gonna do a full rescue it would have done it already so they'll probably let it fail. It's not that important to their market and they'll probably just have other state owned entity shield any consumer that could get hurt to hard. There's actually another massive state owned bank (forgot the name) that's also on the precipice of bankruptcy apart and that one they'll probably rescue though.
Diamonds are where the societal collapse money is. You can use those things to cut stuff and break into places easily to loot supplies.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Bullet standard. In case of complete societal collapse guns and bullets are going to be worth more than anything.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Well, Agema is correct when he says this was a problem brewing for years. I have read about it again and again as well.

And i do blame the Chinese gouvernment for this. The bubble was obvious years ago and they just let it grow because they had no idea how to solve it without pain. Where pure capitalist gouvernments don't have the tools because the markets are too free, the Chinese gouvernment could have done something easily.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Well, Agema is correct when he says this was a problem brewing for years. I have read about it again and again as well.

And i do blame the Chinese gouvernment for this. The bubble was obvious years ago and they just let it grow because they had no idea how to solve it without pain. Where pure capitalist gouvernments don't have the tools because the markets are too free, the Chinese gouvernment could have done something easily.
Is the bubble causing a problem for them?

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
It is.

All this real estate basically works as as pension fund replacement. Due to the single child policy old Chinese can't really rely on their children for care and support, so there was a huge incentive to save for old age. And this was the vehicle used as most other ways to savemoney had been made obnoxiously difficult.