The christmas animation is just obnoxious

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
Seriously.
I had to turn adblocker off, or it was the only thing I could see on any part of the site!
Also, people have already been complaining about performance issues (and yes I have experienced those too, but not said anything about it), do you think this is going to help?

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
I'm pretty sure The Escpaist ban people for using Ad Blockers.

EDIT: I've just had to agree to a new forum content thing which explicitly mentions discussion of Ad Blockers.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I have no problems with the christmas animation.
And yes, you will get a warning for the adblock.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Maybe they should keep it on all the time if it stops people using adblocker from seeing things. All adblocker does is deny the escapist ad revinue to produce content you enjoy. Its kinda selfish.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009

Seriously why do you care? If it annoys you ignore it. If you can't ignore stay away from the Escapist until it's gone. Honestly I don't even notice it half the time.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Inithra said:
I can't ignore it with adblocker turned on, because it is literally the only thing I see when I load the site, there is no other content.
And why should I agree to turn adblocker off when visiting this site? If they want to earn money from my patronage, either charge for membership or accept that some people do not want to see ads.
They do charge for membership, but it's optional. And seeing ads is the price to pay to keep this site up. So stop complaining, enjoy your warnings for using an ad blocker, and if you can't handle the ads or a paid membership then you're free to leave.

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
I haven't had any warnings. I will now, I suppose? If that happens, it happens, and I just stop visiting the site except to occasionally watch ZP.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
sage42 said:
Exactly. Just ignore it.

And seriously, Performance issues? I'm the one with the shitty interwebz, here. The site's working just fine.

Inithra said:
Seriously, how do adblockers come under this:
"Similarly, posts including, advocating, or linking to illegal or adult material.."
You're blocking The Escapist's daily revenue, They can't get money without advertising.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I've never had a warning about Adblock. I mean I've turned it off now anyway so I hope I never do

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Hazy992 said:
I've never had a warning about Adblock. I mean I've turned it off now anyway so I hope I never do
It's advertising it that gets you into trouble.
Personally I always thought £12.50 for a year of no adverts, custom title etc. was well worth it...

Seriously though, this topic is ridiculous and if it's a big issue, see you in two weeks when it's gone.

Musiclly enhanced

Sep 8, 2010
wow you seriously sound like a *****.....
if you dont like it dont make a thread about it. just tollerate it, sometimes you just have to cope with something you dont like

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
Yes, performance issues. Lots of people have had them. The fact you haven't doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe your terrible internet service means you don't know the difference between good and bad performance?

I can accept that they need advertising revenue, but classing it as illegal or adult material? Uh-Uh. Just put it under a different heading, then maybe I wouldn't have skipped over it, as I generally don't bother with flaming, swearing, or anything else generally regarded as bad form.

Many other sites also rely on advertising, they just have the decency to put something up along the lines of, "Hey, we need the revenue, so maybe you could turn your adblocker off?" - not, "Do it, or we ban you and don't get the revenue anyway"

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
You can turn it off in your profile, this is something that quite a few people don't seem to realize from what I've seen.

Also, no, we do not like people who use adblocking software. It takes away from the Escapist's revenue.

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
Tharwen said:
***** please
A setting I wouldn't/couldn't have seen, since the snow was the ONLY thing on my screen when I first loaded the site. It was only after I turned the adblocker off that I even saw the new terms.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
A) Don't use an adblocker.
B) You can turn it off.
C) All my performance issues since the redesign have gone away in the last couple of days. Perhaps that is on your end.
D) It's pretty fucking subtle. Calm down Ebenezer.