The Chronicles of Cataclysm: The Curse of the Worgen

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Moriarty said:
As a veteran player, there is no atmosphere to be found in the worgen starting area.

Maybe it's something only newcomers can experience, but if you understand the formulas and mechanics behind wow, it's just impossible to get scared. You just know there will be no challenge to be found here, you can't make a difference in the outcome no matter how good you are.
That's just forgetting the part about your fellow players, how can you feel suspense, if bob right there is bunnyhopping though the landscape?

Some events are even ruined completely by randoms. I remember one quest quite well, the last part of the worgen attacks, some mobs have to come in to the cathedral to spawn your questmobs. which is impossible because 25 randoms keep killing them before they can come in, wondering why their quest doesn't update.

In direct comparison, the goblin starting area, with all it's jokes and sillyness fits way more into the mood of wow, altough that depends a bit on wether you like steampunk or not.
Atmosphere is what you make of it. For giggles I would random change the pov to first person or closed in over the shoulder style, it can make the game feel completely different.

cursedseishi said:
AliMck said:
Nurb said:
Werewolves are stupid and an easy cliche... if horde gets something cool like goblins, then alliance should have gotten Panderans

#

Maybe but china is a rather large market to exclude if they did that.

Have to say currently the Worgen zone currently lacks polish (and you know actually being completed) but I like it, along with the new lvl 80+ zones, its shaping up quite nicely.

Now to wait and see how paladins get overhauled this xpac :O
Honestly, I remember reading that Pandaren aren't a race because they are a completely neutral, and that the whole "China wont allow it" thing is just a crackpot rumor.

The fact that Pandaren aren't the kind who pick sides, is the main reason why they aren't in the game. To put them in, would mean Activision would have to do something interesting in an MMO and make a 3rd faction, and Activision doesn't like fun or interesting, just profit, and for their riskiest source of profit, they don't want to do jack squat with it.
All the more reason they should've been added since the Goblins were neutral too.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
cursedseishi said:
AliMck said:
Nurb said:
Werewolves are stupid and an easy cliche... if horde gets something cool like goblins, then alliance should have gotten Panderans

#

Have to say currently the Worgen zone currently lacks polish (and you know actually being completed) but I like it, along with the new lvl 80+ zones, its shaping up quite nicely.

Honestly, I remember reading that Pandaren aren't a race because they are a completely neutral, and that the whole "China wont allow it" thing is just a crackpot rumor.

The fact that Pandaren aren't the kind who pick sides, is the main reason why they aren't in the game. To put them in, would mean Activision would have to do something interesting in an MMO and make a 3rd faction, and Activision doesn't like fun or interesting, just profit, and for their riskiest source of profit, they don't want to do jack squat with it.

You underestimate China control over the media and what is released in their country. they are not allowed to show gore and certain things such as the undead with the bones etc in china. it was hard enough for WoW to be released in china and took awhile for them to get burning crusade launched.

China still does not have wrath of the lich king yet simply because the whole expansion is about the undead etc. (also the whole people dying because there not eating or letting a child die because there parents played wow and neglected there baby)

There is no reason to put any pandaren in a way that they can die and risk loosing any chance at making money from china. Only reason there is a pandaren pet in game is because they cant be harmed or die.

You will not see a pandaren npc anywhere in WoW for a long time if ever.

Also to your point about not taking any risks or anything? THERE CHANGING ALL OF AZEROTH IN THE EXPANSION. This is by far the biggest change a mmo will ever go over. Also a third faction would suck and wouldn't fit well.

AliMck

ReRandomized
Jul 28, 2009
cursedseishi said:
jp201 said:
Also to your point about not taking any risks or anything? THERE CHANGING ALL OF AZEROTH IN THE EXPANSION. This is by far the biggest change a mmo will ever go over. Also a third faction would suck and wouldn't fit well.
SOE made a bigger change with an MMO if you weren't aware, its called the CU and NGE. You can't get much more of a change than changing a game from skill to class-based, among thousands of other things. All they are doing now is just reskinning the old areas so 1-60 doesn't suck as bad as it currently does.
Now is that comment based of being in the beta, or looking at the pictures from beta? Cause from within its more than a reskin of the old world.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
cursedseishi said:
jp201 said:
SOE made a bigger change with an MMO if you weren't aware, its called the CU and NGE. You can't get much more of a change than changing a game from skill to class-based, among thousands of other things. All they are doing now is just reskinning the old areas so 1-60 doesn't suck as bad as it currently does.
Yeah, and the NGE sucked :p

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
Nurb said:
If Pandaren ever became a playable race (and they won't), they would be Horde because Samwise is a Horde fanboy.

Knight1172

May 7, 2008
Nurb said:

You want to swap Wolf-people for...Panda Bear people? A species which is literally dying because it can't be arsed to screw, against a section of folklore which was actually used to scare children from the top of Siberia to Southern Africa?
Wow. You must really like Pandas.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Knight1172 said:
Nurb said:
You want to swap Wolf-people for...Panda Bear people? A species which is literally dying because it can't be arsed to screw, against a section of folklore which was actually used to scare children from the top of Siberia to Southern Africa?
What they hell is with you? Did pandas kill your father and rape your mother? Anyway, the FICTIONAL RACE of panderans is a hard drinking, hard fighting warrior type that's more interesting than the generic werewolf

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
jp201 said:
cursedseishi said:
AliMck said:
Nurb said:
#

You underestimate China control over the media and what is released in their country. they are not allowed to show gore and certain things such as the undead with the bones etc in china. it was hard enough for WoW to be released in china and took awhile for them to get burning crusade launched.

China still does not have wrath of the lich king yet simply because the whole expansion is about the undead etc. (also the whole people dying because there not eating or letting a child die because there parents played wow and neglected there baby)

There is no reason to put any pandaren in a way that they can die and risk loosing any chance at making money from china. Only reason there is a pandaren pet in game is because they cant be harmed or die.

You will not see a pandaren npc anywhere in WoW for a long time if ever.

Give china the werewolves, give the rest of the world as awesome a race as goblins, who were also neutral. A non-chinese company shouldn't tremble in fear at angering a foreign government

Knight1172

May 7, 2008
Nurb said:
Knight1172 said:
Nurb said:
What they hell is with you? Did pandas kill your father and rape your mother? Anyway, the FICTIONAL RACE of panderans is a hard drinking, hard fighting warrior type that's more interesting than the generic werewolf
Bullshit. Sorry, but they're a bunch of solitary bastards who sit on their arses and do nothing all day, and calling them a FICTIONAL race is like calling a Knifewrench a fictional tool. They're not. They're 'ANIMALMENLULZ'. Atleast Worgen have some hint of a decent background. Werewolves are cooler because, y'know, GENERIC WEREWOLVES are cool. Noone does GENERIC anymore. Everyone's looking for new ways to ruin a good thing. Blizzard isn't. Good on them.
Oh, and FORGIVE ME for having an opinion that doesn't fit in with your's. Just because I think you're talking out of your arse doesn't mean anything except I think you're abit of a plonker!

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Xzi said:
You will not tempt me, Satan! Every day I have to rock back and forth in the corner chanting to myself, "WoW sucks, it really REALLY sucks, I will not re-activate my subscription," just to stay sane.

But I guess 16 hours of Starcraft 2 each day isn't really healthy, either. XD
I wish I had 16 hours of Starcraft 2.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Knight1172 said:
Nurb said:
Knight1172 said:
Nurb said:
Bullshit. Sorry, but they're a bunch of solitary bastards who sit on their arses and do nothing all day, and calling them a FICTIONAL race is like calling a Knifewrench a fictional tool. They're not. They're 'ANIMALMENLULZ'. Atleast Worgen have some hint of a decent background. Werewolves are cooler because, y'know, GENERIC WEREWOLVES are cool. Noone does GENERIC anymore. Everyone's looking for new ways to ruin a good thing. Blizzard isn't. Good on them.
Oh, and FORGIVE ME for having an opinion that doesn't fit in with your's. Just because I think you're talking out of your arse doesn't mean anything except I think you're abit of a plonker!
U MAD

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Xzi said:
You will not tempt me, Satan! Every day I have to rock back and forth in the corner chanting to myself, "WoW sucks, it really REALLY sucks, I will not re-activate my subscription," just to stay sane.

I love Worgen and think they are cool. But I hate WoW. And I keep having to remind myself that I hate it.

Zozzilla

Apr 28, 2010
I may be forced to forsake my beloved Horde and my lovely Blood Elves in favour of a smelly mutt-person. :<

Dommius

Aug 8, 2009
I only have to keep telling myself that WoW is bad, don't go back... WoW is bad don't go back... Anyways, it's not as fun when you don't have anyone to play with either right?

Valiard

Feb 26, 2009
Personally i think an Unaligned Faction would work perfectly well in this situation... but thats just me

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
STOP MAKING ME WANT TO PLAY THIS!

Seriously, I stopped because it was boring. We can't let that change!

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
*Closes eyes* Must. Resist. Urge. To play. End game sucks. End game sucks, just keep saying it. End game sucks. It's not worth it....

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
oranger said:
lol, I wasn't referring blizz's imminent downfall, I was talking about US, our imminent downfall.
Millions of people play wow, pay for wow, live wow. Good for them. But you know, those people represent the majority of gamers now, which means WOW becomes the standard...and wow is crap, which means the standard is crap. Which means the majority of gamers accept, love and live crap.
Which means the rest of us are screwed.
Oh well then color me silly. My apologies :p. I hate when I misinterpret what folks are saying.

I do think that the problems in the US lie in issues rooted deeper than Blizzard. They've been the same problems for a good century if not two.

It largely comes down to globalizing ones personal feelings and assuming that ones own feelings actually coincide with those of a group they feel connected to. Persons who feel they are democrats assume that the democratic party represents them. Much in the same way that a person who feels they are Christian assumes the larger controlling body of Christianity represents them. This is, more often than not, largely if not entirely false. These organizations that we side with tend to constantly work against our own best interest.

Because of this, and I'm sure many other issues, people support in the US the Democrats and the Republicans when both parties are only pushing for the same basic objective (by an large). The country is essentially under a single party and that party is very inefficient, but as long as people think that just because they share some, or even one, thought with a party that that means they are accurately represented by that party...well for as long as that is the case we are screwed :).

The trick is choosing words that describe who you are and don't dictate who you are. You are not necessarily a democrat, republican, christian, or Muslim (or any other of the 5,000 different governing and religious bodies I'm sure exist if not more) you are a person of unique content. It sounds kinda Mr. Rogery, but frankly he had it right.

So did MLK for that matter, the whole concept of the content of your character being the most important thing that defines you. We are all too quick to define ourselves by those around us which is a shame.

MrSnugglesworth said:
Xzi said:

I wish I had 16 hours of Starcraft 2.
When I'm not playing I (literally) dream about it.

I didn't even like the first one as much as I like the second one. Which is saying somethign cause I thought I really liked the first one.

But starcraft 2 cuddles you then gives you a reach around while whispering "Baby. Tonight I'm taking you to heaven." And when the nights over you wake up to find that Starcraft 2 isn't just a very feminine man but a really sexy woman.

What I mean to say is it doesn't break your heart in the morning by surprising you with a Penis. Unless you are into that sort of thing, then I suppose it would be kind enough.

Because SC2 cares THAT much.

oranger

May 27, 2008
theultimateend said:
oranger said:
lol, I wasn't referring blizz's imminent downfall, I was talking about US, our imminent downfall.
Millions of people play wow, pay for wow, live wow. Good for them. But you know, those people represent the majority of gamers now, which means WOW becomes the standard...and wow is crap, which means the standard is crap. Which means the majority of gamers accept, love and live crap.
Which means the rest of us are screwed.
Oh well then color me silly. My apologies :p. I hate when I misinterpret what folks are saying.

I do think that the problems in the US lie in issues rooted deeper than Blizzard. They've been the same problems for a good century if not two.

It largely comes down to globalizing ones personal feelings and assuming that ones own feelings actually coincide with those of a group they feel connected to. Persons who feel they are democrats assume that the democratic party represents them. Much in the same way that a person who feels they are Christian assumes the larger controlling body of Christianity represents them. This is, more often than not, largely if not entirely false. These organizations that we side with tend to constantly work against our own best interest.

Because of this, and I'm sure many other issues, people support in the US the Democrats and the Republicans when both parties are only pushing for the same basic objective (by an large). The country is essentially under a single party and that party is very inefficient, but as long as people think that just because they share some, or even one, thought with a party that that means they are accurately represented by that party...well for as long as that is the case we are screwed :).

The trick is choosing words that describe who you are and don't dictate who you are. You are not necessarily a democrat, republican, christian, or Muslim (or any other of the 5,000 different governing and religious bodies I'm sure exist if not more) you are a person of unique content. It sounds kinda Mr. Rogery, but frankly he had it right.

So did MLK for that matter, the whole concept of the content of your character being the most important thing that defines you. We are all too quick to define ourselves by those around us which is a shame.
While you have valid, agreeable points, by US I meant "we the gamers", not a statement about the 'states with piss poor grammar lol.