The CLOSEST you've ever been to death, without actually getting injured?

TheMidst

May 22, 2010
I'm a twin. When I was in the womb, by bro and I had something called twin transfusion syndrome. He was taking all the food while I was starving. You don't hear about it, but there are a lot of people out who might have had twins who didn't because of this. Very often one will die early in the development. When I was born I was over three pounds lighter than him, despite us being identical. Yeah so not only did I almost die, but I was almost never born...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Darius Brogan said:
Like I said, Blind Fucking Crazy One In A Quadrillion Chance Luck. i've been plagued by near-misses my whole life. Hell, I even had one incident where being bitten by a poisonous Wolf Spider saved my life.

I was climbing a big-ass tree when I was about 7 or so, and I obviously pissed of the Resident Lichen Spider, he climbed onto my left calf and bit... Hard. I fell out of the tree, landed, not only straight on my head, but also on a rather large root sticking out of the ground. I looked up, rubbing my head, and figured out that, if he hadn't bitten he when he did, I'd have been brains first into an electrical wire.

Fun stuff, I tell ya.
Wolf Spider arent poisonous. They hurt like hell if they bite you, but they're ot poisonous. I've had more then enough bite me to know.

Horkeldorf

Feb 28, 2011
Because I was a stupid highs school sophomore me and my friends didn't see a problem with playing airsoft at night in an abandoned construction yard near a hospital. One of the hospital security guards saw us walking up the hill with what appeared to be assault rifles so he called the cops who showed up pointing an AR-15 at us.

If one of us had some sort of knee-jerk reaction and made some rapid movement while holding the guns I'm sure they would have shot one of us.

biggles1

Sep 1, 2009
Closest for me i'd say was when a friend who was driving me home from swindon lost control on the motorway and was swerving across 2 lanes of traffic for a good 10 seconds before she got the car under control. Not really life-threatening but scary as shit

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Well I suppose that falling off a glacier got me quite injured so that's a no-go here.

The closest I've been to death without getting injured was a few years ago with my brother, the summer before I moved to Montreal. He and I used to do graffiti together. He still does, I lost interest due to my general disgust with the ego-driven culture that comprises much of the street-art scene. Anyway, my brother and I had decided to go put up pieces under an overpass. The car traffic went overhead of several GO train tracks (this is in Toronto, for context), and the entire area was surround with weeds, abandoned construction sites and derelict factories, so it was fucking perfect for us to just paint and maybe light up a joint later. Anyways, after my brother and I had finished painting and our index figures were curled up into spasming runty and paint-covered claws, my brother decided to document some of the incredible graffiti that was canvasing the rest of the surround bridge supports. Anyway, we were standing in the tracks, taking pictures when all of a sudden we here a blasting horn and look to the left to see a massive GO train headed at 75mph straight at us, about 20 ft. away. We dove off the tracks and stood flat against the support pillars until the train had passed. Getting hit by trains is pretty well the leading cause of death for street artists, and it was probably right under 'falling off a glacier' as the closest to death I've ever come.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Three things (well... 2.5 things really):

1. Due to some weird circumstances, I had to be born by caesarian section rather than the normal route out. Apparently it was a minute or two before I made any noise.

2. I was in the back of a car when someone else nearly hit us, but missed and crashed into the car behind us, killing himself instantly. Fortunately, the people he hit only got temporary injuries and were fine afterwards.

3. I managed to touch the spindle of a metalworking lathe at 800RPM. Lucky, my fingers didn't get caught in one of the holes or I could have lost anything from the tip one finger to half of my arm.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
I ran over the cable of a lawnmower while the blades were spinning. Had it been cut, I would have been blasted halfway across the garden by the electricity (which is what happened to my dad, but the electrical surge wasn't enough to do him major harm). Luckily just as it happened, the blade snapped on a rock. Life = Saved.

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
Snowboard accident. I was going down a hill fast and suddenly some stupid beginning skiier decides it is time to suddenly make a 180 degree turn and block my path. Forcing me to avoid her or crash straight into her at full speed.

Being the kind person that I am, I tried to avoid her. Causing my board to go full frontal which was followed by me planting my face in the floor and repeating this process three times. I fell so hard that I had trouble breathing for several minutes and till this day I still feel a sharp pain in my leg if I sport too much.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I was on a hike with some friends and we got to this part where the trail is made of loose pebbles, about 12in wide, 15-20ft long, at an angle, and at the edge it goes straight down 50-60 feet. I was going across when my foot slipped off the edge and I had to jam my hands into the cliff side covered in pebbles and hope that I could grab something that would help me stop. Scary as all hell, but I want to go back there. It was very tiring and kicked my ass, but I want to see how I'd do again :p

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
hmm.. Well, at 3yrs old I climbed onto my bedroom unit (used to be an old Kitchen display cabinet), and it collapsed ontop of me. All I remember was darkness, turned out I had amazingly squeezed between the shelves and was curled in a ball safely. Else I'd probably have ended up either paralysed or dead.

Not long later (I think, can never remember my age or dates aside that i was young), I fell from the top rail of the banister all the way down the stairs with NOTHING to show for it. Many children have died from head injuries from this sort of thing.

I've fallen off a bike I was standing on and cracked my head off my nana's concrete rose garden borders... Not even a fractured skull yet alone brain damage or death from a bleed on the brain.

I fell into my toy box, and escaped having the metal ladder of my fire engine truck embeded into my brain. Instead it just scarred my face.

At Christmas I was arguing with my mum as she wanted me 2 go over to the shops. So I muttered whilst leaving "maybe i'll get hit by a car and killed on the way/way back"... Leaving the shops I went to cross the first 'main' road, and a car was just coming round the roundabout. I had PLENTY of time to cross, but the car put its foot down upon coming onto my section of road. I had to jump to get to the island. The car actually swerved TOWARDS me as I got onto the island before swerving back and speeding away. I couldnt believe I narrowly missed getting hit by a car, and to have that car purposly swerve towards me was even more unbelievable. Needless to say I went home shaking and cried. I'd never EVER felt so close to dead as I did then.

I lied... the most recent incident left me even more fearful.
My grandad used to be a very careful driver. Never had any major incidents or any minor incident that I know of aside from maybe when my mum was younger. Now, sadly he's not as good. Forgets the routes he's traveled so many times, swerves all over the roads, speeds or goes too slow etc. He also looses concentration easily which has now lead to several near misses of cars due to him not seeing them coming from the side or even towards him. Several I can think of include:
- Turning into the street right as a car was coming up the road, the car almost smashed into the passenger side and I had my neighbours young bairn with me on that side. (Other incidents of similar nature)
- Going through the carpark and he pulled straight infront of another driver without even seeing them at a giveway point
- Swerving all over the roads
- going 40mph or even 70mph on a motor way or duel carriage way.
- Running red lights on a round-about and not knowing which way to go next so taking his time going around so as to work it out. Needless to say traffic was in danger of hitting us or causing a MAJOR accident.

And more that I cant remember much of, but these have been the ones that ive been sitting in the car thinking "oh shit i'm going to die today". The above ones, all happened in ONE day ONE JOURNEY! that was before coming home. =(

I always fear my grandad's driving but sadly he's the only one can drive since I cant afford to and no-one else in my family can (aside from 1 who lives down south) and I need him occasionally when the busses or money fail me

EDIT: also, a few months ago, me and my partner were walking back from college and we were right beside this lass waiting at the traffic lights. Suddenly all you see is a bus going past, a blur from your left side heading into the road and a !!SMASH!! as the girl smacks the side of the fairly high speed bus. Had she gone out just seconds sooner she would have been hit full on. As it was she smacked her head off the side, and last we saw was concious but disorientated =/

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Remember the beltway shooter thing a few years ago? The D.C. sniper or whatever? The first shooting happened in my neighborhood and, basically, the whole thing went down where I lived. I wasn't shot obviously but still, it was a scary time to live where I live. The sight where the first shooting went down is literally a place where I am several times in an average week.

Feb 7, 2009
I had a shotgun up held up to my head. Remington 1100 semi-auto locked and loaded. 12 gauge buckshot. A split second longer and the trigger would have been pulled.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
When I was 8 or 9 I went swimming with my class. They used to have these huge thin swimming mats made out of foam; you could cram maybe 5-6 kids onto one of them without it sinking. Anyway, I was diving next to one when I lost my bearings under water and came up under it.

I still remember the panic I felt. How I tried to push on the mat above me, to let the kids leaping about on it that I was under there and getting almost kicked in the head for my trouble.

Somehow I managed to keep my cool enough to get out from under that thing, but I can tell you, air never tasted sweeter.

I think that's the closest I've been to death.

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
Was riding on a train in Poland. While I was I didnt notice anything but apparently the train had very nearly derailed and crashed into some building because of some damage to the rail. Not entierly sure on the details but suffice to say if it actually HAD derailed I wouln't have made it out unharmed.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Two days ago. I missed hitting a white-tail deer, going 55 mph, by less then a foot.

The low front end of my car could have sent her through my windshield (worst-case scenario).

Stupid deer, their population is out of control. Hunters need to get off their bums and get too work.

Windown95

Jan 16, 2011
I was walking across a frozen over lake, I heard a crack and I was sent plummeting into the water. I was lucky and it was march so the water was pretty warm, also meaning the ice was weak.