The Closure of HMV

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I found that HMV was reasonably priced. XCom went down to about £25 within about a month of release. On the website I admit the prices were sometimes a lot but in store I found they were fine, especially for CDs. The 2 for £10 deal they have on loads of CDs is basically what made my collection of CDs, I don't know where I'll get them from now. Apart from charity shops obviously.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
PieBrotherTB said:
http://www.artrocker.tv/features/article/view-from-a-record-store-is-hmv-really-a-loss

This might be of some interest.
Now that is way more interesting and pertinent that all this "Blame the internet" horse shit since it's been fairly obvious for a while that the music industry has it's head up it's arse and that rates and rent on retail space are out of hand. A retailer i used to work for in the early 2000s was paying half a million in rent a year for it's out of the way London shop.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Reading these comments, I've learnt alot. didn't actually realise that HMV went beyond the UK. And to those talking about that grandfather that robbed HMV of 3 games because they wouldn't accept his voucher, did you know what the games were?
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Rail Simulator
Sims 3 Town Life
Well I guess he doesn't really love his little grandchild anyway.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
It's a shame! HMV is pretty class, but I'm willing to bet a lot of it's down to the increasing online market.

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
PieBrotherTB said:
Limie said:
I am worried about waterstones now. It is the only bookshop for at least 30 miles and they have the similar pricing tactics. I feel it will be a horrible thing to have bookstores completely disappear.
Waterstones sells books at the RRP that's on the book, presumably set by the publisher. If there are any price markups there, I'm not seeing them, and I worked there.

Would piss me off if Waterstones went, but I reckon it's a mite different kettle of fish to other entertainment.
I found that books lacking an RRP written on them can be overpriced. I found a textbook with no RRP priced £50. Amazon priced the book at £34 which I would say was accurate for the RRP in my experience of buying these sorts of textbooks.

My main concern with the pricing systems is the lack of competitiveness when you look at compare them to online retailers. I have to admit that I have little knowledge of the laws surrounding the publisher's pricing rights and how ultimately a price is decided upon. But how is it that supermarkets can charge less than RRP on release day for certain books?

In addition Digital downloads provide the means to I can buy a book for less than half the price and have it on my e-reader in under a minute without having to visit a store. But if it was the same/similar price I am more than willing to pay for a hard copy.

Books are different to other forms of entertainment and that is one of the reasons I would find it a great loss if Waterstones closed down due to the educational aspect. The area I live in has an average literacy age for adults, of an 8 year old level and any retail outlet that promotes an interest in reading is a great loss.
The closure may not mean much for avid readers, as they would purchase the books online via their own established means. However, for those with no great interest in reading having a giant reminder on their local high street is a good thing.

Xzbeat

Jan 17, 2013
Such a depressing state of affairs to see first HMV and now Blockbuster in administration. The high street will be a ghost town in no time

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
Damn. Mind you, even before this collapse into administration, the HMV stores in my city consolidated into their smallest store so I have suspected something was up for a little while.

I really liked HMV, but in the last few years I have bought nothing except for the odd DVD there. I am not a fan of digitally downloading music (I have found the reformatting and compression to make a perceptible difference to the sound quality), but I could rarely find anything I liked in store. The Metal sections were poor-at-best, particularly as I was into some quite obscure Scandinavian bands; and in the last few years I have got into the EBM and Industrial scene - of which I found HMV carried absolutely jack-all, even on their website. In terms of DVDs, they were great for small one-off films but any type of anime (another recent discovery for me) and boxed-sets could be absurdly over-priced (Elfen Lied non-collectors edition for £50, each individual series of Stargate for £60), that was if they had what I wanted in stock at all - it took me forever to get a hold of NCIS, as they only ever seemed to have Series 4 in stock. So, Amazon it has had to be, and the once-great store (a good few years ago the Metal sections were awesome) has died off, as it seems my experiences are not unique and must have driven away customers.

That doesn't mean that I am not sad to see the chain go, with the terrible state of the economy and high-street shopping in general it looks like we could have far more boring towns with far fewer job opportunities.

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
The HMV on our high street is going to be a new Pound shop. That will make 5 quid shops on one high street.

I do think the only real shops left on the high street will be clothes shops since trying them on there and then is so much easier then buying online and all that BS you will get with clothes.

Also not really relevant but i just wanna say The high street has 5 quid shops 7 cash for gold type shops and 4 betting shops. also the council is planning expanding the high street to attact more big name shops, thing is they are moving to out of town retail parks, they should really cut the business rates then they will come back.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
MetalDooley said:
J Tyran said:
Theres a worrying trend made horribly relevant with the Jessops and HMV collapse, gift vouchers will not be redeemed. This is particularly shitty straight after Christmas, the peak time for them being sold. A lot of people get those things for Christmas and now they are useless.
This is happening with HMV in Ireland and I have to ask how is this legal?They've received the money in advance but are now refusing to hand over the goods people are entitled to.Sounds a lot like theft in my book
Effectively the company that sold the vouchers does not exist anymore. The administrators that are now in charge have no legal duty to honour vouchers issued by the old company. They are under a legal duty to get as much money for the creditors of the old company, including employes. Hence the not taking the vouchers.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Omega500 said:
The HMV on our high street is going to be a new Pound shop. That will make 5 quid shops on one high street.

I do think the only real shops left on the high street will be clothes shops since trying them on there and then is so much easier then buying online and all that BS you will get with clothes.

Also not really relevant but i just wanna say The high street has 5 quid shops 7 cash for gold type shops and 4 betting shops. also the council is planning expanding the high street to attact more big name shops, thing is they are moving to out of town retail parks, they should really cut the business rates then they will come back.
Council don't set the business rate, that's done centrally. They may have control over the rent

squidface

Jun 3, 2012
they didn't get into online music downloads fast enough, they thought the internet would be a "passing fad" and also they were obviously profiteering. the same boxset could be found for half the price online than you could get it in HMV.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
It's a shame! HMV is pretty class, but I'm willing to bet a lot of it's down to the increasing on line market.
Nope mostly the flailing of the music industry trying to control the genie after it is out of the bottle doing things like 10 new releases every month.

ten.to.ten

Mar 17, 2011
Vault101 said:
I dont think Ive seen HMV..must be my state...

sounds a bit like JB HI FI....I would be sad to see them go...
Which state are you from? When HMV existed in Australia they only had stores in Queensland, NSW and Victoria, if I remember correctly. The HMV name was bought out several years ago now and all the HMVs in Australia have either been converted into Sanitys or closed down.

It was a real shame. I'm one of those weirdos who actually collects CDs and HMV always had the best range. Of course, the catch being that a CD that would cost $20 at JB Hi-Fi would cost as much as $32 at HMV, but at the time HMV would have a lot of stock that JB wouldn't. Lots of difficult to find imports and vinyl records and that kind of thing. But you can't keep charging $32 for a product that (probably) most people don't even pay for at all and stay in business forever.

I'm not sure about how it is in the UK though, I'll just have to go off of what other posters are saying. My biggest concern is whether or not it affects HMV Hong Kong, I shop with them online sometimes for fairly cheap and sometimes hard to find Japanese music and I'd hate to lose that.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
HMV used to be a great shop, the one I shopped at had any film or album you dare imagine. I filled my DVD shelf using them. Then a couple of years back I was in the mood to hunt down a couple of 80's horror movies and HMV was charging £16 for one of them! No a special edition or anything, just £16 for the film on a bog standard disk. I walked on a few shops down and found it for £6 and haven't bought anything from there since. People can mourn the loss of the last big Music and DVD retailer but I won't be upset about them going.

Also can the talk about the 'death of the high street' end anytime soon? Yes people can now buy books and DVDs cheaper online but the high street won't ever be gone. People still need to try on clothes before buying, buy gifts to wrap and take children to excitedly buy new toys. Hell I regularly shop at CEX not because it's cheaper (it would still be cheaper to buy online usually) but because its the atmosphere HMV used to have. Nice staff, good music and a huge catalogue of choice.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I'm not really sorry to see HMV go, but I do sympathise with the folks who will lose their jobs. HMV was always overpriced, but saved themselves a bit with the odd decent sale. They could have been run better though, for instance in Nottingham there were three stores in the city centre before two of them shut down about a year or two later. One was an old Zavvi that was absorbed, but why would you have three stores so close together in a city that isn't all that big?

I used to like going in to music shops when they had those little headphone stations where you could listen to any album in stock to see whether it was good before buying. Maybe there are some stores that still have them but I certainly haven't been to one of them. These days I can get on to Youtube to check out new music then buy it moments later online, with it in my hands the next day for less than the bus fare needed to get to the shops.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
Yeah they have more games here. However they sell them at like 20+ dollars more than what I can get at other retailers. They aren't as bad as EB games though.

Wait, you still have EB? We only have Gamestop, which bought them out here in America. Also, We don't have HMV, but a few of my preferred CD and DVD stores have gone out of business, so I feel for you. I got a bunch of CDs at Wherehouse Music one night, and it was way cheaper than most places. I liked Sam Goody as well, and they went out of business before my membership card expired...

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
lacktheknack said:
ShinyCharizard said:
It's their own damn fault for being so uncompetitive in terms of pricing. What did they seriously expect would happen?
You kidding me? HMV often put on sales where good, new albums were going for five bucks a piece.

Maybe Canadian HMV is different than Aussie HMV.
Must be. British HMV is bloody expensive compared to pretty much every other store you can music, dvds, games etc from.

Can't say I'm shocked to hear this, although as always I feel sorry for the employees, at least some of whom if not all, will be losing their jobs.
My sentiments exactly. For the UK, it's unsurprising when they rarely price match with other big distributors such as amazon, play.com etc. It mostly has something to do with the retail market being the weakpoint. HMV should have made more of an effort to price-match; I know I would definitely have bought from them in the past, given the choice if the prices were equal.