The Colonies AKA America

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
LimaBravo said:
cobra_ky said:
LimaBravo said:
Whenever I see an American using the word color or armor. Im sorry Its retarded. Your spelling shit wrong just to stick the middle digit up to a country that abandoned you 200 years ago. Its kinda pathetic.

Other than that never.
Gooud caull, let's just puut the letter "u" in aull sourts of wourds that doun't need them.

I do admit you guys are right about "aluminium", though.

Oh, and it's "You're", not "Your".
Now now dont be a petulant little colonial. I didnt say the English language was correct I said using a minor change to declare your independance is utterly pathetic.

& I couldnt care less I didnt say my grammar was any good, so .!.. Sieg heil mine littul grammar nazi.

Defend your argument better without the need to correct grammar & gain some validation.
it wasn't an argument, it was a joke. but since you brought it up, Noah Webster took the 'u' out of those words because it made them easier for children to learn. He also had a notion about freeing the language from British aristocracy so you do have a point there.

i specifically pointed out "your" instead of "its" or "im" because "your" and "you're" are actually spelled differently. given the current topic i found it ironic. sorry if i offended.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
asinann said:
We spell it like that because it makes absolutely no sense to put a "u" in either of those words.

Spelling would be very VERY simple if the brits hadn't added silent letters to a third of the language.

Pneumonia should be spelled neumonia.
hey, blame "pneumonia" on the greeks, not the british.

Kif

Jun 2, 2009
Nope never.

A lot of Americans are descended from a variety of races across the globe so it would be a mistake to refer to the American nationality as colonial even when jokingly assuming that they are descendants of colonials.

As such, even when joking about their derivative of the English language I refer to people from America as Americans.

asinann said:
LimaBravo said:
Whenever I see an American using the word color or armor. Im sorry Its retarded. Your spelling shit wrong just to stick the middle digit up to a country that abandoned you 200 years ago. Its kinda pathetic.

Other than that never.
We spell it like that because it makes absolutely no sense to put a "u" in either of those words.

Spelling would be very VERY simple if the brits hadn't added silent letters to a third of the language.
On a similar note, the spelling of the word changes the way it is pronounced, if you spell armour as armor and pronounce it the same way as us over here in blighty you are spelling it incorrectly.

However, in some cases pronounciation has been changed or lost and there are additional letters which no longer have a use and also in a fair few cases they are words that have come from latin carrying extra letters.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Why would we reference them as such? They haven't been the colonies for quite a few years now, and I seriously doubt they'll ever be again. It would be akin to pointing to the parts of Africa that were colonized and asking about the colonies, or talking about Australia and then mentioning it as a place to send prisoners. It's not exactly a modern means of discussion.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
If you're in the UK and refer to 'the colonies' it means Australia and New Zealand.

They used to be penal colonies for the British Empire and sometimes still get referred to as 'the colonies', usually as a joke or put down on Aussies.

Matronadena

Mar 11, 2009
Never in my life.. IT was always " the States, or younger brother across the pond" ( Canada was baby brother as it's younger, and more dependent longer)

other than the occasional " yank" Nothing really ever close to that..

and as said above, only time I've heard it used in a derogatory way was used for the Oceania region and I heard that rarely.... normally at the height of tourist season and every pub is flooded with canadians, americans, and aussies " trying to trace their roots"

and show off and try to impress the ladies, then fall on their face dead drunk after half a pint of cider.

and to be fair I now live IN the States, and really....Other than limey ( which, I add Im Scot, so I hear that at home too) there is no term I've heard towards the UK other than " England, the isles, or UK"

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
Never you english bastard!
we and teh french kicked your ass

thats like us winning with a handicap

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Standby said:
The infamous SCAMola said:
The colony that kicked ass?
No the ones that got saved by France.

Seriously guys you never thank them.
maybe we owe our thanks to the old absolute monarchy france, not the republic?

It would be like owing the aztecs a debt. To whom is the check to be made out?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
ummm no.
LimaBravo said:
cobra_ky said:
LimaBravo said:

Other than that never.
Gooud caull, let's just puut the letter "u" in aull sourts of wourds that doun't need them.

I do admit you guys are right about "aluminium", though.

Oh, and it's "You're", not "Your".
Now now dont be a petulant little colonial. I didnt say the English language was correct I said using a minor change to declare your independance is utterly pathetic.

& I couldnt care less I didnt say my grammar was any good, so .!.. Sieg heil mine littul grammar nazi.

Defend your argument better without the need to correct grammar & gain some validation.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. British English, Australian English, and American English are all different dialects of the same langauge. The united states began creating it's own dialect 400 years ago. I would argue the way that you Brits speak English is just as different as you did 400 years ago as the way we speak English. No one dialect is 'right' they're just different.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
When I'm playing Empire: Total War I call the parts of America I own the colonies.

Thats about it, I do in fact recognize Americas independence from the European powers, no matter how much I resent it :p

By the way does anyone know what happens on Empire if you own Boston and they revolt in ? Do you get a chance to join with the rebs and become the USA in 1776?

Jun 11, 2008
dwightsteel said:
Standby said:
The infamous SCAMola said:
The colony that kicked ass?
No the ones that got saved by France.

Seriously guys you never thank them.
...I thought we did that when we kicked the Nazi's out of Paris?
Actually as a side note yous weren't just helped by the French but the Germans too and some outher countries not sure on which other ones to be precise.
And yes that was a help when yous helped with World Wars in general but I have to agree with the other countries involved not getting the proper thanks in minds of today not that yous didn't repay the favour as yous did:)

irishstormtrooper said:
I get the feeling that this is going to turn into an Americans vs. British flame war...
Probably by the looks of it hopefully not though as that would be silly and pointless.