The Cool Armour Thread

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
There's a lot to be said for Vader's armour in terms of it being black and effective, although Pink Five pointed out a drawback to the design.

Ordinators in Morrowind? Man, I hated their armour and I hated them. It had a drawback, too: it wasn't soundproof, so I could hear their racist bile, and it wasn't pissed-off-psychotic-hell-*****-with-a-silver-claymore-proof, either, so there weren't many of them left by the time I'd turned Vivec into a ghost town.

Morrowind Glass Armour looked fantastic if you got the full set enchanted ... and posed in the dark.

City Of Heroes "enforcer light" looks pretty good, especially in red to match waist-length hair.

Hmm. I don't have a picture of Luna's Armour from Werewolf: the Apocalypse. It's basically moonlight.

Heh. Can I claim the Scorpion from HALO:CE? Tanks are, in military parlance, armour. Pretty damn handy piece of it that thing is, too, with a cannon and MG that never run out of ammo and four seats for your pet snipers, even if its top speed is about 4mph.

How about elite cataphracts? They don't look like much because they're tiny little sprites, but they're heavy cavalry you can send to surround the castle and wait until the trebuchet-lit fires force the enemy King out into the open. The guys on the left here:

That's at least two armies. Judging by the crossed-out names, that's someone who's just kicked arse on two fronts at once combining his forces to annihilate the next target. I suspect having that army on the move means you've already, really, won. That's like taking the combined allied forces of Operation Overlord and Operation Iraqi Freedom and sending them in to the battle of Rorke's Drift.

Also of note, "skyclad," of course, and whatever armour set a player takes on a Stalker in CoX. Really, a Stalker ought to be taking a defence boost power set, not an armour power set. Armour power sets are for Tankers and some Brutes. However, my little Stalker went all themed and took Electrical Melee and Electric Armour. Best choice? Maybe not. First power in the list, though, is Hide. Stroll past the security cameras, go up in the lift, follow a guard, overtake a guard, jump over a guard's head, jump off a guard's head to reach a balcony, whatever. Until you attack someone, get hurt or do some interacting like using a computer or arming a bomb, They Shall Not Notice. Late in the power pool: energy sink. Sucks the endurance out of every enemy around and gives it all to me. They can't do anything because they're all out of power, and I'm back to full and ready to ... ah ... show a lack of respect for their personal space.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
mega man x's armor. even his un-upgraded armor is awesome.

although mega man x3's armor is my personal favorite:

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
TimeLord said:
This thread needs more Grey Knight Terminators!

How much longer until Lord Inquisitor is finished dammit! They've got ADB writing it.
Because Black Library and GW clearly hate us. Anything written by ADB deserves the wait though!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
TimeLord said:
Soviet Heavy said:
TimeLord said:
This thread needs more Grey Knight Terminators!

How much longer until Lord Inquisitor is finished dammit! They've got ADB writing it.
Because Black Library and GW clearly hate us. Anything written by ADB deserves the wait though!
I still think it's awesome that Demski-Bowden took the time to help the guy out with the project. He's got incredible talent with design and animation, but scripts and voice acting aren't his strong suite.

So, awesome animation, a script penned by a Black Library vet, and hopefully some strong voice actors. Even with only two of those things, it would stand up well to the likes of the Ultramarines movie.

Rakun Man

Oct 18, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I'd have to go with the Iron Man Extremis armour. Because Iron Man is awesome.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/33806/1130300-70_iron_man__extremis_director_s_cut_1.jpg
Iron Man's Armor is nice. Very nice.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I love the NCR Ranger Combat Armor and I quite like the armor that Nightmare wears in Soul Calibur 2.

I'm sorry for calling you guys fools. D: Also here's some cool armor.

And also a really big sword. Compensating, maybe? ;D

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Doclector said:
Well, the space marine armour has to be there. Whatever chapter it is, it always looks badass. If space marines are meant to be such massive badasses capable of withstanding far more than the already badass-armoured imperial guard, they've got to look like it, and they've also got to look like they can liquify a face with a punch. The massive armour does all that while still looking mobile. I'm not such a big fan of chaos armour, as...well, could they be trying any harder to look evil? Seriously, all the spikes and chains and what appears to be skin, it's a little over the top, but then again, what about WH40K could be described as not OTT?

All of the armour sets from Earth defense force insect armageddon deserve a mention. The soldier armour strips away the BS for a simple, starship trooper-esque design, the engineer armour looks like a support class should, like he's linked in with god knows what under there, the jet armour is just goddamn awesome, and the heavy armour looks like a splicing incident between a man and a tank.
Honestly, I see the Imperial Guard as MORE badass than the Space Marines. The Space Marines get genetic enhancements, power armor, bolter pistols, the best of the best equipment the imperium can spare.

Imperial Guard are fighting the same damn enemies and doing it with flashlights and flak jackets. Those bastards deserve a LOT more respect than the Space Marines.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Gabanuka said:
Where the hell is that from? The stance and style suggest Assassins Creed but I don't recognise it.
IIRC, that's the Ishak Pasha armor set from Revelations (or maybe the Master Assassin armor?).

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I'm going to go with the Ebony Armor set from Skyrim.
Sure, it's a lot less grandiose as some of the other armors here, but I like more reasonable armor. That might be why I think WH40K armor looks quite ridiculous.
crazyrabbits said:
Gabanuka said:
Where the hell is that from? The stance and style suggest Assassins Creed but I don't recognise it.
IIRC, that's the Ishak Pasha armor set from Revelations (or maybe the Master Assassin armor?).
It's the Ishak Pasha set.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Oh, I forgot to mention this one:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120111002835/fallout/images/5/5d/Merc_troublemaker_outfit.png

The Mercenary Troublemaker set from Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Sure, it's not very useful, but it looks amazing. Practical, stylish and badass.

I usually use the G.E.C.K to make a slightly boosted version of it, so I can keep it through the endgame. Yes, that's how important the looks of game armour is to me. :p

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Personally, I prefer the Steel Plate look.

Though, sometimes I do appreciate the minimalist look.

Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
This is only concept art but damn, nothing says "submit to authority" like this:

It's been done. [http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=82400]

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
I tend to spend more time in games like new vegas, FO3 and Skyrim worrying about what I look like as opposed to how effective it is :D

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Pretty much every armor from every race in Champions of Norrath: Return To Arms.

It ran the gamut from simple beginnings (Leather, padded, quilted ect) to insane end game stuff(Legenderay,Rathe-something er other, Epic).

I've always found it interesting that the last tier, Epic, actually made you less armored than the previous, as if to say "You're so high leveled at this point, you don't NEED armor to kick their asses!"

Pictures are hard to come by, but some of the Legendary and Epic stuff was crazy, especially the shaman and berserker.