The Cops are Profiling Child Abuse Victims

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
…or why I learned to stop worrying and love the police state.

I wanna focus on a very specific part of the article.
See, there’s a truth buried in this absurd action of monitoring kids because they were abused, statistically speaking most abuse victims become some kind of criminal. That the solution to this can only be to effectively house arrest the victims is no surprise, when you are an entity built on the power to arrest for violating various property crimes there is literally no other solution you can come up with. When people like me demand we defund and divest, the counter argument of training cops better runs into this precise brick wall. So long as the defining power and responsibility of cops is to arrest and punish, this is their only response. You can teach a cop the systemic problems around them, you can show them the consequences of our violent system, and they will arrest the victims “for their own good.”

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
"We are pleased to inform you that we have decided to harass you until you go to prison, die, or flee our jurisdiction. It is for your own good, the algorithm can do no wrong"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So...if kids report abuse it is known the police will be after them? I'm sure this information is of great use to certain people.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
This reminds me of something in the UK years ago in the last Labour Party era (pre-2010). Someone in the government effectively said they knew where nearly all the criminals would be coming from, because they had all the data on social class, upbringing, demographics, etc. to effectively predict it. This being Labour, the plan was targetted interventions and social measures to reduce the likelihood of kids developing into criminality. I'm not entirely praising this: some of was in my view some of the worst forms of Labour paternalism and control freakery, even if their intentions were good. One way or another however, the Tories won in 2010 and cut everything, meaning a lot of successful programs with social problems had to be closed. In numerous cities, youth crime has consequently risen considerably. Funnily enough, the "party of law and order" also cut police numbers at the same time.

In a similar vein, the chief constable of Merseyside Police (Liverpool and area, to those of you who don't know the UK) also retired a few months ago. He was renowned as a "hard man" of British policing, and yet upon leaving said if he were given £5 billion he would spend £4 billion of it reducing poverty. He opined that tough policing could not and would not much improve crime: instead tackling deprivation, inequality, poor education, low job opportunities and security, etc. was the key.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
This reminds me of something in the UK years ago in the last Labour Party era (pre-2010). Someone in the government effectively said they knew where nearly all the criminals would be coming from, because they had all the data on social class, upbringing, demographics, etc. to effectively predict it. This being Labour, the plan was targetted interventions and social measures to reduce the likelihood of kids developing into criminality. I'm not entirely praising this: some of was in my view some of the worst forms of Labour paternalism and control freakery, even if their intentions were good. One way or another however, the Tories won in 2010 and cut everything, meaning a lot of successful programs with social problems had to be closed. In numerous cities, youth crime has consequently risen considerably. Funnily enough, the "party of law and order" also cut police numbers at the same time.

In a similar vein, the chief constable of Merseyside Police (Liverpool and area, to those of you who don't know the UK) also retired a few months ago. He was renowned as a "hard man" of British policing, and yet upon leaving said if he were given £5 billion he would spend £4 billion of it reducing poverty. He opined that tough policing could not and would not much improve crime: instead tackling deprivation, inequality, poor education, low job opportunities and security, etc. was the key.
Sounds about right. Was the Labour Party thing at least done by non-cops (no power to detain/arrest)? Assuming they also had some level of confidentiality involved outside of mandatory reporting style shit, I think that’s actually close to something. Still gonna have most people scared to work with the program, but it at least wouldn’t be completely worthless.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Sounds about right. Was the Labour Party thing at least done by non-cops (no power to detain/arrest)? Assuming they also had some level of confidentiality involved outside of mandatory reporting style shit, I think that’s actually close to something. Still gonna have most people scared to work with the program, but it at least wouldn’t be completely worthless.
Labour's plan as I recall was not really much about policing at all, but social intervention. Some of it, in my view, potentially quite invasive.

The British police (and in some cases intelligence services), of course, have enough autonomy to dream up and create their own schemes and ideas. UK police forces have surveilled certain crime victims or relatives of victims - my guess is for no other reason than wanting to know what people who criticise the police are up to and maybe even wanting leverage against them. The intelligence services certainly keep tabs on all manner of activists. They used to also spend a lot of time building dossiers on left-wing politicians, although that's more Cold War times and they aren't really supposed to any more. "Supposed to" being the key term.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I suppose his logic - as I see it - is that once you've reduced crimes caused by the sort of deprivation that will drive any sane person to desperation to all but their fringe numbers, all you're left with are the sorts of criminal element against whom the sort of old school hard man shit you see in reruns of The Sweeney would actually be of use. Because at that point its all East End firms, armed blaggers and the odd terrorist (flip a coin for domestic of foreign) making a mess of the manor.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
To make this infinitely grosser, there are cases (certainly in the UK) of cops using their access to records of abused children to locate vulnerable young people for the purposes of sexual exploitation. You can likely safely assume that is happening in any instance where police have access to that kind of information without clear oversight and responsibility.

Frankly, if anyone should be profiled it's the kind of person who expresses any interest in policing or law enforcement. You should always ask yourself why someone would want that kind of authority, and what they are getting from it.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I suppose his logic - as I see it - is that once you've reduced crimes caused by the sort of deprivation that will drive any sane person to desperation to all but their fringe numbers, all you're left with are the sorts of criminal element against whom the sort of old school hard man shit you see in reruns of The Sweeney would actually be of use. Because at that point its all East End firms, armed blaggers and the odd terrorist (flip a coin for domestic of foreign) making a mess of the manor.
Pretty much. I think there's a certain level of crime which is very hard to stop - often associated with certain forms of organised crime, personality and mental health disorders, low impulse control, etc. But for a number of people crime is arguably a valid career choice given just how low their chances are of doing anything else worthwhile.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
And the archetype of the virtuous fascist continues to be a goddamned lie.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Goddamn: this is depressing and dystopian.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Criminal profiling is just supernatural mumbo jumbo that doesn't really actually help solve cases.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Criminal profiling is just supernatural mumbo jumbo that doesn't really actually help solve cases.
Based on what I've heard profiling is charitably educated guesswork based on the law of averages within the confines of the case they're on. So a step up from pure quackery like phrenology but more in line with throwing darts at the idea board.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Based on what I've heard profiling is charitably educated guesswork based on the law of averages within the confines of the case they're on. So a step up from pure quackery like phrenology but more in line with throwing darts at the idea board.
All I know of the subject comes from Deadly Premonition, and it didn't help York find the killer at all until like 5 other people had been murdered under his watch.