The Craft Behind Croft

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Good interview. It's nice to hear from the writer what the intent was instead of a bunch of other people with minimal PR training and armchair internet generals.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Great interview, Susan! I'm really looking forward to this new version if Lara. Having been a fan since the beginning of the Tomb Raider series, I think they couldn't have taken her in a better direction than this. Hopefully the series will come back into its own and be recognised as such.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Quijiboh said:
I didn't realise it was Rhianna writing for Lara. Now I'm even more stoked than I was before! Faith was a great female character, primarily because it didn't matter that she was female, she was a person. High hopes the same can be done for Lara.
The character writing was the main reason I still consider ME one of my favourite games, despite the somewhat awful level design.

Quijiboh

Mar 24, 2011
Ninjat_126 said:
The character writing was the main reason I still consider ME one of my favourite games, despite the somewhat awful level design.
If there's one game I'd recommend people play on PC, it would be Mirror's Edge. For most first person games the lack of fine precision in console controllers doesn't matter, but the level design and mechanics flow a lot better for Mirror's Edge with a keyboard and mouse.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
The Tall Nerd said:
rbstewart7263 said:
In a perfect world it will always be done right but since "right" is an objective thing and this is not a perfect world well have times where people are split on a particular part or scene of a movie/game. better to just let it out there and let us all judge for ourselves a movies failures/ merits in my opinion.

But if I had my way everything would be appropriate within context to what is going on. That said im a lover of offensive humor so what offends me doesnt offend others. In general though if a rape scene makes me feel icky and uncomfortable than it was probably done "right".
to be quite honest its only a few ways, its thrown in and not relevant to the story, its sexualized and fetishized, or its incorporated well.

and as far as offensive humor goes, i dont really find rape funny its a horrible experience, so horrible that death to some degree is more relatable than rape, because it happens too everyone. so i suppose that's why rape jokes don't go over well, i don't think its really you dont find it offensive rather than you find offensive stuff funny, which is fine, to some degree. you always have extremists, a commediean Daniel tosh explained it well " i am going to cross moral lines today , if i do its alright, sometimes i cross my own that's how i know i still have one" or something like that, he can tell the joke its offensive and some find it funny but he is not going to get mad at you if you don't find it funny, because it was offensive. sorry waaay off topic

back to the point i believe that you can always portray something badly that's how you get bad films in general, and i rather have a rape in a film make me feel bad because rape is bad, rather than the director showing his weird sexual fetishes on camera,
Well thank you sir for not condemning me as some sort of rape enabler or something like that I appreciate your understanding.

For the record I always have the what I call "whats cool whats not" talk with someone.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
rbstewart7263 said:
The Tall Nerd said:
rbstewart7263 said:
In a perfect world it will always be done right but since "right" is an objective thing and this is not a perfect world well have times where people are split on a particular part or scene of a movie/game. better to just let it out there and let us all judge for ourselves a movies failures/ merits in my opinion.

But if I had my way everything would be appropriate within context to what is going on. That said im a lover of offensive humor so what offends me doesnt offend others. In general though if a rape scene makes me feel icky and uncomfortable than it was probably done "right".
to be quite honest its only a few ways, its thrown in and not relevant to the story, its sexualized and fetishized, or its incorporated well.

and as far as offensive humor goes, i dont really find rape funny its a horrible experience, so horrible that death to some degree is more relatable than rape, because it happens too everyone. so i suppose that's why rape jokes don't go over well, i don't think its really you dont find it offensive rather than you find offensive stuff funny, which is fine, to some degree. you always have extremists, a commediean Daniel tosh explained it well " i am going to cross moral lines today , if i do its alright, sometimes i cross my own that's how i know i still have one" or something like that, he can tell the joke its offensive and some find it funny but he is not going to get mad at you if you don't find it funny, because it was offensive. sorry waaay off topic

back to the point i believe that you can always portray something badly that's how you get bad films in general, and i rather have a rape in a film make me feel bad because rape is bad, rather than the director showing his weird sexual fetishes on camera,
Well thank you sir for not condemning me as some sort of rape enabler or something like that I appreciate your understanding.

For the record I always have the what I call "whats cool whats not" talk with someone before I cut loose.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
The Tall Nerd said:
rbstewart7263 said:
rbstewart7263 said:
The Tall Nerd said:
rbstewart7263 said:

For the record I always have the what I call "whats cool whats not" talk with someone before I cut loose.
no man its cool, i have to go though this type of explanation with good amount of people. with the n word. its a lot of " i have a black friend so that makes OK " type people, im not going to go into whats statistically wrong with that type of statement because, you know 1 black person means all black people, for some reason. but you get the idea, and you are far from a rape enabler, you just find something funny that i dot, i happen to think that gta san andreas until now were the only gta's with funny an interesting stories, im not a violence enabler, i just like gta and that aspect in particular. that's life, differences, change, cosnatants, anyways let me not get to philosophical, this is a game made by square enix, they are going do that for us at some point, and then we fight a bad guy with silver hair who is our half father from the darkness future.

and its good you have that talk, i think people should have that talk more often , the "to an extent clause" that you never see behind rules, is always there and people forget that.
Ive had the same talk with my black friends too and the response will vary from "Its never ok ever for white people to make racist jokes" to "hey I like racist jokes too mate" which is whatever its a generation/ philisophical thing.:) lol