The Crow Reboot Will Begin Shooting "In the Spring"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Crow Reboot Will Begin Shooting "In the Spring"

Producer Ed Pressman has said that the long in limbo reboot of The Crow will begin film as early as spring 2015.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20crow>The Crow isn't remembered by movie audiences as much as it should be. And even when it is, it's often recalled due to the tragic death of its star Brandon Lee, who was killed in an accident during its filming. That being the sad case, moviegoers my have a new reason to remember the film soon as it's now been revealed that a new version of the 1994 original could begin shooting at the beginning of the 2015.

That, at least, is the indication of producer Ed Pressman who has revealed that the long in-the-works reboot is currently slated to start shooting "in the spring." Speaking further about the new film, Pressman described it as "the anti-Spider-Man" and expressed his hope that the new film would bring the franchise to the attention of modern viewer who may not be aware of the original. "It still has a big fan base even though it was so long ago," he said. "But the generation today doesn't even know The Crow."

One thing that's notable about Pressman's reveal is that he wasn't able to confirm who would be taking Brandon Lee's place as the film's lead in the reboot. Statements from actor Luke Evans (Dracula Untold) earlier this year had James O'Barr, the writer of the original graphic novel, is still serving as a creative consultant.

Source: <a href=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/crow-remake-aiming-spring-2015-743636>Hollywood Reporter

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I really don't know how well this movie will translate since The Crow was painfully 90s.

I remember enjoying the original though, and I'm really not sure what to make of this. Could be good...? I guess...?

The goth stuff will be interesting to see though.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I really don't know how well this movie will translate since The Crow was painfully 90s.

I remember enjoying the original though, and I'm really not sure what to make of this. Could be good...? I guess...?

I'm not expecting much personally, but I'll still be moderately happy if there's a scene where Eric Draven growls "You're all going to die." into the camera.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I don't know how to feel about this. I am a huge fan of that movie, and it is one of those point in time movies that just really worked, at least for me. It's not the greatest film, and watching it from a different perspective you begin to see how Brandon Lee was growing as an actor.

Stylistically it will need to be updated, I don't think the same look and palette will work now. I would be very excited if they finally made a female lead Crow film.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
StewShearer said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I'm not expecting much personally, but I'll still be moderately happy if there's a scene where Eric Draven growls "You're all going to die." into the camera.
That would be totally rad.

If there isn't a Lisbeth Salander type character in the reboot then I will be sorely disappointed in everyone. :p

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
The Crow was wonderful. Dark, poetic, and a kick-ass revenge story done right.
Nothing can take that away from me, but I smell disaster on this projekt. The original film is good enough, and recent enough, to not need a remake. It just needs more recognition. And if this new one manages to do that, I'll be happy.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I enjoyed the original movie, but not as much as the comics on which it was based. For as much interesting stuff they added for the film, I always felt like it would have been better without the super villain guy at the end.
That guy is a fun actor to watch and he did fine with the role, but the story just seemed like it was better as a fully self contained revenge piece as it was in the comics.

Of course all that is just a more verbose way to say "The book was better" and that is always a big "well, duh" moment so maybe I should just shut up and hope for the best.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Monshroud said:
I don't know how to feel about this. I am a huge fan of that movie, and it is one of those point in time movies that just really worked, at least for me. It's not the greatest film, and watching it from a different perspective you begin to see how Brandon Lee was growing as an actor.

Stylistically it will need to be updated, I don't think the same look and palette will work now. I would be very excited if they finally made a female lead Crow film.
I'm going to be the bad guy here and ask why. Why? The Crow functions as it does as an adaptation of the comic. What would you gain, thematically or story wise, for gender switching Eric? Or, for that matter would you prefer it to focus on Shelly or Sherri? I'm not one to completely turn down an idea that tries something different, but I'm not sure in the up-coming future EVERYTHING requires a female lead to subvert the original story.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Does this really need to be rebooted? I mean, the first one is 20 years old and it still holds up, IMO.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
The Crow needed a reboot even less than Robocop did.

There's just too much acclaim and tragedy attached to the original to "forget" that version when watching any new iteration.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I remember watching the hell out of this when I was a kid....yes, you heard correct, a child.

A very open minded mother and this type of film was a catalyst for disaster, but my God it was so good at that point.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
It doesnt need a reboot, its perfect as it is. Its a product of its time and would be hard to capture the same look and feeling without looking false. They might update it and set it in New York or something but i cant help feeling that they will make it more of a superhero style movie - going over the top with the stunts due to him being unable to die. The movie had a style, i think they will make it look like an underworld movie.

Personally they should make the new Crow book into a movie. The one written by the original writer that is set in a concentration camp.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Meh, Im cautiously optimistic. As its the same guy involved behind the scenes, evidently he's looked upon his work and thought, "I could do this better" so it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Part of the reason "The Crow" isn't remembered as well as it might have been is that they turned out a slew of crappy sequels.

Say what you will of Brandon Lee, the defining moment of the original movie for me wasn't the soundtrack (which was great) or the action sequences (which were terrific), but when Draven says to Albrecht, "I thought I'd use your front door..."

The genuine sadness etched on his face in that moment- that sense of, "Is this how isolated I am from the people still living?" was what made the performance work.

Comparatively, all the other "Crow" movies were like the journal writings of an adolescent with too much eye makeup.

I hope that, if they have to do a reboot, they understand the importance of clinging to humanity as much as seeking revenge and the power to do so. But I'm not optimistic.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Really? They are rebooting one of the worst and overrated movies of the 90's? The emos who worship this will absolutely love it. I can't wait for it to completely bomb.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Sigh, can we stop rebooting movies that have no need to be remade? Let the movie lay in peace, please.