The Crow Reboot Will Begin Shooting "In the Spring"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I thought they were doing a new movie. The storyline that O'Barr did a couple years back.

I don't know. Love 'em or hate 'em, there are other stories, and I'd rather see them than Eric's rehashed again.

And, I mean, it's not like they could do worse than the last couple of attempts.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I really don't know how well this movie will translate since The Crow was painfully 90s.
Well, even if they wub wub the soundtrack, they wouldn't be further off from the soundtrack that the first movie....

I can easily see this being very much an attempt to copy the movie or comic by rote and basically missing the tone entirely.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I really don't know how well this movie will translate since The Crow was painfully 90s.
Well, even if they wub wub the soundtrack, they wouldn't be further off from the soundtrack that the first movie....

I can easily see this being very much an attempt to copy the movie or comic by rote and basically missing the tone entirely.
That's what I'm fearing.

I mean, The Crow is totally a product of its time, and I can see the new crew missing the point.

If anything, I can see it being a fun mess. In the 'so bad, it's good' category.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
I'm confused, there was a TV reboot (Stairway to Heaven), and 3 sequels. Every sequel was in itself a reboot.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
If anything, I can see it being a fun mess. In the 'so bad, it's good' category.
Wicked Prayer wasn't overall "So bad it's good," but I soooo enjoyed it when David Boraneaz was on screen.

DoctorM said:
I'm confused, there was a TV reboot (Stairway to Heaven), and 3 sequels. Every sequel was in itself a reboot.
Well, no. City of Angels is a sequel to the point of featuring an older Sarah who guides the main character because she's suddenly an expert or something, and the other movies simply address other people. Salvation is supposed to take place after CoA. Not sure whether Wicked Prayer is explicitly directly tied to the prior movies, but the use of different protagonists (and even the protagonists having slightly different powers) comes right from the comics anyway. Far as I know, O'Barr never brought Eric Draven, but there were several different Crow stories done without him rebooting the comic (and then there were other bits in the universe, such as the novel Wicked Prayer is based upon).

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
So, is the title of this article just a rather dark pun?

OT-can't say I'm for this. I doubt any reboot will be able to touch the original.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
The orgiginal movie is one of my alltime-favourites and I still love it today. That being said, if they try to stick closer to the comic and make a new adaptation rather than a remake of the first movie, it could be interesting. I'm just not tha optimistic in that regard.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
They already did a The Crow reboot. It was called The Dark Knight, and the split the crow character into Batman and the Joker.

Also you know this just means every asshole is going to dress as the Crow for Halloween instead of the Joker now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bdcjacko said:
They already did a The Crow reboot. It was called The Dark Knight, and the split the crow character into Batman and the Joker.

Also you know this just means every asshole is going to dress as the Crow for Halloween instead of the Joker now.
That's bullshit. There were parts of The Crow where Eric wasn't a complete jerk. Who is that in The Dark Knight? And if you say Lucius...Well, fair enough!

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
*sigh* Rebooting a franchise like this, with how 90s it was and all the other baggage that this movie comes with, seems likely to be as necessary and pleasant as a Robocop Reboot enema.

Mar 5, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I remember enjoying the original though, and I'm really not sure what to make of this. Could be good...? I guess...?

The goth stuff will be interesting to see though.
I don't know if I would call it painfully 90s. It's more like a product of it's time.

Miguelito

Nov 15, 2012
FFS - are there no scriptwriters with a new, interesting story out there? Can we stop the endless remake machine of sad, tiring "reboots"? Cover versions of songs are rarely as good as the original - that holds true for film as well.

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
"Modern viewers"?
Thank you very much. I'm feeling very last century now. :mad:

It's a good call to make that movie.
But if it was Frankenstein, would you call it a "reboot"?

And anti-Spider-Man, well I very much hope it's not
an inflammatory comment to hype the new movies...

Because now I'm certain there is going to be five
MORE of those >8)

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
And @Miguelito, I have to say: Blue Monday.
The original DOES grow better sometimes.
...sometimes.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Miguelito said:
FFS - are there no scriptwriters with a new, interesting story out there? Can we stop the endless remake machine of sad, tiring "reboots"? Cover versions of songs are rarely as good as the original - that holds true for film as well.
The irony there is that this is up there with "kids these days" in terms of things that have been repeated generationally.

Maybe it's time we came up with new criticisms.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I get the feeling they're just going to try to make it as edgy as they can and forget about everything that made the original so great. Why can't they just leave the classics alone? The only reboot I've liked is Total Recall and that's because it was practically a whole different movie.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Maybe they'll make Eric sparkle when he walks in the sunshine.

Seriously, though, this thing has been in development hell nearly as much as Neuromancer. I'll believe it's coming out when I'm sitting in the seat and the lights dim, and not before. And, honestly, I probably will be there watching it. I'm a huge fan of the first original, and they're not going to undo it's first-ness. Nor, honestly, can the IP be diluted more than it already has been - to say the sequels and tv offshoots weren't as good as the original is being generous. But I watched those and they didn't kill the first one.

Maybe a reboot is warrented. Not because of the passage of time, but because there was a lot about the first movie which, now that I'm older, hasn't aged well. It's not the 90's-ness of it, it's just that I could do with something with fewer plot holes and more narrative consistency. Mr. Lee's death was a tragedy, but they had to do a lot of last-minute shuffling to make it work as well as it did. It'd be nice to see a take where everything goes as planned.

Also, maybe they could work in some of the grace notes like the cowboy or (and this is a nit-picky thing that I just dug from the comic) the way he tied the bullet casings to his hair. Or change up the whole thing dramatically - there was a script put together in the early aughts where DMX and/or Eminem were going to be in a fourth movie ( http://www.mtv.com/news/1428165/dmx-signs-on-to-resurrect-the-crow-film-series/ ), which had some goths at the time in a tizzy but honestly? Sure, why not? Iteration without innovation is a sure way to make something stale.

Korsgaard

Aug 9, 2013
Two things:

One, the director is no longer Juan Carlos Fresnadilo - he was dumped a couple years back in favor of Javier Guiterrez, while the walking PR disaster that is Juan Carlos Fresnadilo left for the Highlander remake.

Second, I actually did a recent interview with James O'Barr about, among other things, the remake of the Crow, and why he went from being one of its most vocal critics to accepting a job of creative consultant. By the end, he'd actually changed my mind about the remake as well.

I actually offered it to The Escapist, but never heard back from anyone.

For those who want to read the interview, the link is below:
http://www.korsgaardscommentary.com/2014/10/interview-james-obarr-creator-crow.html

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Armadox said:
Monshroud said:
I don't know how to feel about this. I am a huge fan of that movie, and it is one of those point in time movies that just really worked, at least for me. It's not the greatest film, and watching it from a different perspective you begin to see how Brandon Lee was growing as an actor.

Stylistically it will need to be updated, I don't think the same look and palette will work now. I would be very excited if they finally made a female lead Crow film.
I'm going to be the bad guy here and ask why. Why? The Crow functions as it does as an adaptation of the comic. What would you gain, thematically or story wise, for gender switching Eric? Or, for that matter would you prefer it to focus on Shelly or Sherri? I'm not one to completely turn down an idea that tries something different, but I'm not sure in the up-coming future EVERYTHING requires a female lead to subvert the original story.
Sorry for the late reply, I was away on business. I don't mean re-write Eric as Erica. In the comic series there is actually a female, I think called Iris (need to look that up) who is brought back. So instead of a redo of the original story, I think there is a great possibility for using another of The Crow stories as new content.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
DoctorM said:
So, the TV show, was more of an alternate re-telling of the story. The movie is more about revenge, but show was more about redemption, and it introduced ideas and plots not in the original stories.

The sequels are not reboots, heck they aren't even sequels. They are separate stories contained in the same universe with the same Catalyst. That catalyst being someone was wronged and killed, then a crow brings them back to avenge their death / death of loved ones. I think the worst mistake they did was keeping the Sarah character in the second movie because that did cause confusion, especially in people who never read the comic. People thought the second film was some sort of re-telling or sequel to the first.