The cure for Avatar depression

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
What in the name of the Lords of Kobol is "Avatar Depression"?

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
Once more, I have to say, capitalism is the problem. Without it, we would have a much more beautiful environment, teeming with life, because we wouldn't have greedy corporations who'll dump sewage into the water and freaking buzz cut whole forests just to make a couple bucks. Without capitalism and the consumerist lifestyle we would appreciate and love the world we live in, and we would probably care to protect it a whole lot more.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Captain Blackout said:
It was a quick one-liner. Want the full set of problems with Constantine? I belong to a UU church. We are all heretics, because we believe in choosing our religion. Remember what they did to heretics post-Constantine? Ever wonder why? Know what the Nicine council was? Christianity was dogmatized, heretics were outcast, and compassion, what was supposed to be the absolute central theme was marginalized. Buddhist zealots? Really? I mean, REALLY? Ever see a buddhist zealot commit a campaign of genocide? No? Wonder why that is. Ever see a group of religious people 'bicker' civilly? It does happen, I've seen it first hand. Have you? Have you even looked? No? Then why in the god's names are you slamming me? Keep it up, I have far more examples and can keep them coming all day long.
While I appreciate your optimism, the reason I've never seen 'a buddhist zealot commit a campaign of genocide' is simply because they've never really had the chance as far as I know. Any religion in the right hands has the ability to be twisted towards darker purposes, Buddhism is no exempt from this. Of that there can be no doubt! Not every Buddhist throughout history has been a saint, and I'm sure if I did some research names would start coming up of examples of nefarious people calling that religion home. But I'm not here to get into a religious debate seeing as honestly I couldn't care less one way or the other.

And I'm not 'slamming' you, although I did think the way you phrased why you didn't like Christianity was funny since it sounded like a hipster complaining about their band going mainstream. But seeing as that wasn't your intention, if you want I'll gladly apologize.

Still think you're being overly optimistic however, but that's simply my opinion.

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
Akai Shizuku said:
Once more, I have to say, capitalism is the problem. Without it, we would have a much more beautiful environment, teeming with life, because we wouldn't have greedy corporations who'll dump sewage into the water and freaking buzz cut whole forests just to make a couple bucks. Without capitalism and the consumerist lifestyle we would appreciate and love the world we live in, and we would probably care to protect it a whole lot more.
Also, OP, I feel that religion is a beautiful thing, but "religious" organizations should not have the power that they do, as they tend to corrupt religions into something they weren't supposed to be.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
The Madman said:
Captain Blackout said:
It was a quick one-liner. Want the full set of problems with Constantine? I belong to a UU church. We are all heretics, because we believe in choosing our religion. Remember what they did to heretics post-Constantine? Ever wonder why? Know what the Nicine council was? Christianity was dogmatized, heretics were outcast, and compassion, what was supposed to be the absolute central theme was marginalized. Buddhist zealots? Really? I mean, REALLY? Ever see a buddhist zealot commit a campaign of genocide? No? Wonder why that is. Ever see a group of religious people 'bicker' civilly? It does happen, I've seen it first hand. Have you? Have you even looked? No? Then why in the god's names are you slamming me? Keep it up, I have far more examples and can keep them coming all day long.
While I appreciate your optimism, the reason I've never seen 'a buddhist zealot commit a campaign of genocide' is simply because they've never really had the chance as far as I know. Any religion in the right hands has the ability to be twisted towards darker purposes, Buddhism is no exempt from this. Of that there can be no doubt! Not every Buddhist throughout history has been a saint, and I'm sure if I did some research names would start coming up of examples of nefarious people calling that religion home. But I'm not here to get into a religious debate seeing as honestly I couldn't care less one way or the other.

And I'm not 'slamming' you, although I did think the way you phrased why you didn't like Christianity was funny since it sounded like a hipster complaining about their band going mainstream. But seeing as that wasn't your intention, if you want I'll gladly apologize.

Still think you're being overly optimistic however, but that's simply my opinion.
Look across the world's religions and you will see which ones have been used for horrible purposes and which ones haven't and can find a common thread. Mao killed or enslaved all the buddhists in China because he knew they'd never make good imperialists. Constantine used Christianity because it's root religion, Judaism, had already been proven to be useful for imperialistic purposes and could be used again even with the changes Jesus tried to implement.

moonlitgamer said:
Oh great, another rant about humans and how they are bastards.

I haven't watched avatar and all I really know is that it's "Dances with wolves" with aliens and really good graphics. I wouldn't ever suffer from Avatar depression and I find it a bit sad that people actually do. Also people wouldn't be cured from said depression by reading your post, I think you would make them sadder. I know humans hurt a lot of other humans but can you try and see the good in people? I know that's hard to do but just try?
I do see the good in people. I also see how it's often crushed. Either way, it's hard to poke people's consciences when you focus on the good and not the negative. Look at the OP. It's a conscience poker, a call to greater awareness. I wanted to use the best tools I could to get what I wanted across. It's working to some degree: Mcupobob isn't happy with what I posted in part because he doesn't like his view being poked at. He wants to believe he's right and I'm wrong, because if I'm right his views need to change. If he is right, however, we are screwed. We won't get off the planet and will probably eventually get wiped out when 'nature' throws something so big at us that our tech can't handle it and only learning how to live across the storms will get us farther along.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Captain Blackout said:
The Madman said:
Captain Blackout said:

Look across the world's religions and you will see which ones have been used for horrible purposes and which ones haven't and can find a common thread. Mao killed or enslaved all the buddhists in China because he knew they'd never make good imperialists. Constantine used Christianity because it's root religion, Judaism, had already been proven to be useful for imperialistic purposes and could be used again even with the changes Jesus tried to implement.

moonlitgamer said:
Oh great, another rant about humans and how they are bastards.

I haven't watched avatar and all I really know is that it's "Dances with wolves" with aliens and really good graphics. I wouldn't ever suffer from Avatar depression and I find it a bit sad that people actually do. Also people wouldn't be cured from said depression by reading your post, I think you would make them sadder. I know humans hurt a lot of other humans but can you try and see the good in people? I know that's hard to do but just try?
I do see the good in people. I also see how it's often crushed. Either way, it's hard to poke people's consciences when you focus on the good and not the negative. Look at the OP. It's a conscience poker, a call to greater awareness. I wanted to use the best tools I could to get what I wanted across. It's working to some degree: Mcupobob isn't happy with what I posted in part because he doesn't like his view being poked at. He wants to believe he's right and I'm wrong, because if I'm right his views need to change. If he is right, however, we are screwed. We won't get off the planet and will probably eventually get wiped out when 'nature' throws something so big at us that our tech can't handle it and only learning how to live across the storms will get us farther along.
*sigh* I never said your wrong or i'm right. For all I know you have the answer, all I know is what I know. If you would like to put in terms for me to understand then please do I'm always open for new ideas thats what gets us farther. Sorry for being so ignorent I'm just a little irritable with this topic.

nick_knack

Jul 16, 2008
Captain Blackout said:
nick_knack said:
Captain Blackout said:
Mcupobob said:
Captain Blackout said:
Mcupobob said:
Surival of the fittese, what all the natives who have been destroyed by nations seeking to expanded deserved there fate, did nature protect them? No why? because nature does not give two shits about us and what we do. We need to take what we can then guard it, I bet if the indians knew how to make guns and cultivate like us they would ditch there living in huts and dying ever time a cold snap came by and go for the easier route.
Compassion is not in your nature, and I think all beauty has fled your soul.
Compassion for humans is in my souls, yes the world is beautiful I know I live in the middle of a forest partically I enjoy it, What I do remeber though is that nature is power we have no control over and should not even try it is a entity that has no compassion us, and never will. Don't appeal to nature appeal to your species enjoy us while we are still here. The earth is not are mother the earth is a torrotent of emotionless beauty and destrution, It does not care for us and instead fights us, so we have to fight it back.
That is by far the most destructive stance I have ever seen. If you see us needing to fight nature to the bitter end, you will destroy us both. Healthy genetic diversity mean anything to you? Think nature is uncompassionate but we are? Last I checked, we have a capacity for genocide and worse that isn't even remotely seen in nature. Most species live through natural homeostasis. Humans don't. Our closest relatives spiritually? Agent Smith in the Matrix had it right: Viruses. Thanx for showing the world that the viral human is alive and well.
Sure nature has the capacity for genocide. Species become extinct all the time. (Even before us) I would point to primitive man as part of "Nature" (capitalized for hippies) who happens to be blamed for the extinction of all very large mammals outside of Africa.
I didn't say nature doesn't have a capacity for genocide. I just said it doesn't match ours. And we have removed ourselves from nature, at least a bit. Evolution doesn't apply to us today as it did in the past.

(Dear lord, can at least a few more people properly quote me? Too much? ok then *sigh*)
It is vaguely implied by your language. I see now that you left room though.

Natural evolution no longer applies to us yes. But we now have the capacity for self determined evolution, through technology. I spoke in a similar vein earlier in the thread, nobody seems to have read it though :(

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
Captain Blackout said:
Squaseghost said:
"Avatar Deppression" is bullcrap
Did you actually read what I wrote before posting? Just curious....
Well I actually agree in the sense that people who have it really need find something better to do with their time. I agree that true depression is horrible, but if you get depressed because you see a movie that shows things you can never do then you should NEVER see movies, because 90 percent of movies depict events that are humanly impossible.

Secondly, that blow at capitalism was more or less uncalled for and unwarranted.

Thirdly, if it takes a B-story in a Sci-Fi popcorn flick to make you realize that your neglecting the space you inhabit then you really have been oblivious for most of your life and must not watch any television, go on the internet, or watch any movies because these places tend to be rather abundant with the presence of environmentalist. Even in the bottom right corner of this screen there's an InventNow.org link with a picture of a greenhouse filled with plants, a solar panel, and two fans for wind-powered turbines.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
Mcupobob said:
but depression is a beauty on its on for it gives makes us relize art and life, happiness is just a noroctic that leaves you hallow but is necessary form time to time.
What? Depression is a beauty? Do you have any idea, any idea at all, what being depressed feels like?

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Longshot said:
Mcupobob said:
but depression is a beauty on its on for it gives makes us relize art and life, happiness is just a noroctic that leaves you hallow but is necessary form time to time.
What? Depression is a beauty? Do you have any idea, any idea at all, what being depressed feels like?
Yes, I have had alot of famliy members kill themselves, and thought about it alot myself. My uncle who is gay has aid and as been beaten up and threaten most of his life, most of my famliy lives in provety and the ones who aren't have been constentle given the shaft by said poor famliy members. Not to mention Bipolor runs rampaed in my famliy an uncle of mine refuses medican because he belives god will heal him, and constantly is talking to "god".

Depression has given me a new outlook on life, it inspried me to try to find out more about people and to write, and try to enjoy what I can. Some of the worlds greatess art would not have been created without this.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
Mcupobob said:
Longshot said:
Mcupobob said:
Yes, I have had alot of famliy members kill themselves, and thought about it alot myself. My uncle who is gay has aid and as been beaten up and threaten most of his life, most of my famliy lives in provety and the ones who aren't have been constentle given the shaft by said poor famliy members. Not to mention Bipolor runs rampaed in my famliy an uncle of mine refuses medican because he belives god will heal him, and constantly is talking to "god".

Depression has given me a new outlook on life, it inspried me to try to find out more about people and to write, and try to enjoy what I can. Some of the worlds greatess art would not have been created without this.
I could concede that once you are past depression, maybe you can have a more joyous look on life, but depression being beautiful? That is against all I am going through, and all that I understand other people suffering like me are going through. I am sorry, but I have to doubt you know what you are talking about.

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
I thought that the Avatar Depression was people being pissy that they can't be a Cat/Smurf/Shaq alien native.

Not like the whole, 'I will never be able to find a more beautiful place than Pandora, as humans have seriously screwed Earth over.'

Unless it follows the same boat in some way. Oh well.

Quay

Mar 20, 2009
Do you realize the irony of getting depressed about the technology in our lives from watching one of the most technologically advanced movies and then talking about it using one the most sophisticated pieces of technology on the planet?

Captain Blackout said:
... I personally prefer it stoned...
Yeah, probably not.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
"Depression" from a movie *facepalm*

Their are easier ways to get attention other then crying you got depression from a movie. If you are really depressed you probably have an underlying medical condition not from the movie.

katsa5

Aug 10, 2009
Generalization now has a new definition: Captain Blackout.

[/quote]So I'm supposed to just go my church and do good works there (which I do) instead of voicing a philosophy I've worked my whole life at? How about I do both, that okay with you? Also, I said the tech was just toys. I also admitted in another post in this thread that I'm a technophile, I love the toys. I just don't worship them, they way the culture around me seems to. Finally, I know something about folks who went halfway around the world over 50 years ago and did just fine. They were called explorers and the best of them learned how to learn new languages and live in new enviroments, something we don't teach. Here's a thought, let's take all our tech and build better schools, make as much education as possible available to as many as possible. Here's another thought: Don't peg me as an unrealistic hippie after one post. I am a hippie, but unrealistic? No. I put my lessons to use first and foremost at home for my family and they work.[/quote]

Good point indeed; words are only words unless put into action.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
You're right - people just have to get it over with materialistic lifestyle and go enjoy things that are completely free and better, to boot. Just, you know, have a walk and enjoy the sight. Not that i don't like my material posessions, but at least i don't obsess over them.

Or you could just, you know, set stuff on fire. It's beautiful.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Longshot said:
Mcupobob said:
Longshot said:
Mcupobob said:

I could concede that once you are past depression, maybe you can have a more joyous look on life, but depression being beautiful? That is against all I am going through, and all that I understand other people suffering like me are going through. I am sorry, but I have to doubt you know what you are talking about.
Only through are lowest points can we discover true happiness only then can we look at people and understand them.What you are going through will pass. I'm still depressed I.. I don't know if I will ever beable to get out alive without going insane. I might just end up as a drifter like my uncle talking to voices in his head looking for more booze. I might just end up in lowest point possiable like my mother, I might just end up self-absorbed and uncaring like my father. I don't know how I will move past that, I don't if I can live another day sometimes. I know I should not be sad, there has been worst and my sad tale is just a blip on human suffering, the only thing that keeps me moving on is trying to understand people. What is it that makes you feel as if there is no hope?