The current state of the forums. (statistics)

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
So I've done a couple of threads tracking the decline of the forums. Here are the recent statistics of post and thread creation over the course of a week. From Tuesday, February 13 to Tuesday, February 20:

Gaming Discussion
17 new threads
507 new posts

Off Topic
11 new threads
427 new posts

Wild West
3 new threads
189 new posts

Edit:

Religion and Politics
4 new threads
354 new posts

/Edit

Tuesday, February 13

Tuesday, February 20

Actually I'm kind of surprised. GD and OT are down a bit from last time, but not as much as I was expecting, honestly. The only real casualty was the WW which is at around 1/4 the activity it was last year. And spam threads haven't interfered with these numbers. I checked, there really have been 17 legit threads made in GD last week. Deleted threads must be removed from the count.

For fun let's compare OT and GD to the July 2011 high point I found in my other thread.

Gaming Discussion
Topic creation is at 3.0% of what it was
Posting is at 2.8%

Off Topic
Topic creation is at 2.4%
Posting is at 1.7%

So please stick around and keep posting, because we really need you!

Jan 19, 2011
Yes! I've been waiting for almost three years for a sequel!

More OT: good post as always. Hopefully this gets read and some changes are introduced to combat the decline. I'd also like to add something: back in late 2011, going to page 20 of Off-Topic would bring you back 17-19 days. Now it puts you back about 9 months.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
It's interesting to see numbers that confirms what most people kind of figured out already. As for your plea to stick around, No Thank You. Last year, I had a morbid desire to stay until the bitter end. Then again, I was in a downward spiral of depression. So, embracing oblivion was an appealing concept. Now, I simply have better things to do than debate people who are too stubborn to concede basic facts about an issue.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Silentpony said:
How'd you get your avatar to be in that little window by the Notification box?
It's been there for me since day 1 o3o Maybe it's a Firefox thing?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
KissingSunlight said:
Now, I simply have better things to do than debate people who are too stubborn to concede basic facts about an issue.
To be fair, the last time you were talking about basic facts you said, in relation to the Las Vegas shooting:

I got money that this guy is antifa. If I'm seeming to be insensitive, I'm not. The basic facts so far seems to fit that theory.
And you followed up with the comedy gold:

There are still not a lot of facts about this guy's motive. So, of course, everything is speculation. Allow me to speculate about the elephant in the room. Antifa is a hate group that believes that they are morally justified to be violent to anybody who disagrees with them. Every Antifa knows that the music of choice of Donald Trump voting, white supremacist Nazis is country music. Is it really that much of a stretch to reasonably suspect them? If you are uncomfortable of being immediately suspected of committing heinous violence, then stop advocating and committing violence.
So it isn't really surprising that your concept of basic facts is often at odds with everyone else's.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
KissingSunlight said:
people who are too stubborn to concede basic facts about an issue.
Stop making objectively wrong claims, then people wont challenge you about it.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
KissingSunlight said:
Now, I simply have better things to do than debate people who are too stubborn to concede basic facts about an issue.
Bandwagons are fun!

When your idea of "basic facts" shares the same relation with objective reality as

The Spicemaster General said:
"This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the globe,?
[footnote]http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/315527-conway-spicer-used-alternative-facts-in-press-briefing[/footnote]

you probably are better off hanging out in t_d, 4chan, breitbart, or wherever.

================================================================================================

OT:

That's actually not a substantial loss considering everything. It looks like Gaming Discussion actually had 5 most posts despite fewer threads this year than last. The loss of WW posting makes sense though because wasn't it pretty much brand new last year? The thing that makes me the most sad is the loss of R&P posts, but it does make sense considering how R&P discussions (after GiD) lead to the most bans so more posters leave than from among escapists who don't post there.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Elvis Starburst said:
Silentpony said:
Must be. i'm using Chrome and all i got is a little blank-faced Escapist hat dude icon

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
Well, this thread is a train wreck. Usage stats derailing into smacking someone around. Wonder how much of this popcorn I can get through before the thread is locked?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
Elvis Starburst said:
Silentpony said:
Must be. i'm using Chrome and all i got is a little blank-faced Escapist hat dude icon
It's definitely not only you. I only get the blank avatar on Chrome as well.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
DarthCoercis said:
Well, this thread is a train wreck. Usage stats derailing into smacking someone around. Wonder how much of this popcorn I can get through before the thread is locked?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
It's always been my belief people come for the content and stay for the forums. Content has been sorely lacking for what feels like the last year and is possibly the primary reason even I am reduced to a lurker rather than a daily visitor. I'm not saying The Escapist is FUBAR but it's been months and it has only been getting worse and falling out of relevance is a slippery slope for sure.

KissingSunlight said:
It's interesting to see numbers that confirms what most people kind of figured out already. As for your plea to stick around, No Thank You. Last year, I had a morbid desire to stay until the bitter end. Then again, I was in a downward spiral of depression. So, embracing oblivion was an appealing concept. Now, I simply have better things to do than debate people who are too stubborn to concede basic facts about an issue.
Check out misery guts here, you must be fun at parties.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
Yes! I've been waiting for almost three years for a sequel!
Sorry to have kept my adoring fans waiting!
UtopiaV1 said:
I've signed back in for the first time in years just to say hi :)

How are you?
Hey! I'm doing good! I think I might be able to ascend my current run on Nethack in under 10 000 turns, so I'm pretty excited about that! I don't really have enough time to play though, so that sucks.

How are you?
KissingSunlight said:
Baffle2 said:
Saelune said:
Avnger said:
What the heck is wrong with you people? This isn't the Wild West. Stop derailing my thread with your hate train!
DarthCoercis said:
It better not be. If this gets locked I will be ticked!
Silentpony said:
No I've seen the issue before, but not on my account. It's not a browser issue. I don't know how to fix it though. It's pretty weird.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
What Drathnoxis said.

Take your beef outside if you want to throw down with each other.

OT: I know a lot of people jumped out of the Wild West into their Discord so that is likely why that forum fell off the face of the Earth. The site will likely have the same drip feed life support of users it currently has until the plug gets pulled.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
What Drathnoxis said.

OT: I know a lot of people jumped out of the Wild West into their Discord so that is likely why that forum fell off the face of the Earth. The site will likely have the same drip feed life support of users it currently has until the plug gets pulled.
In case anybody wonders why I don't post on this site as much as I did before. All you need to do is read the bullshit that these harassing trolls have posted. Seriously, why aren't they being modded? Nevermind. Let this site die.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
KissingSunlight said:
tippy2k2 said:
What Drathnoxis said.

In case anybody wonders why I don't post on this site as much as I did before. All you need to do is read the bullshit that these harassing trolls have posted. Seriously, why aren't they being modded? Nevermind. Let this site die.
If you do not like how the Moderation is handled, you are free to take off. This is yours (and anyone else's who wants to fling mud at each other or at the Mods in this thread) final warning; take this outside.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Drathnoxis said:
You forgot R&P, the most (or at least second to WW) important and friendly forum in this site! /s

In a more serious note, at this rate I hope R&P doesn't end up the most active forum.