The Dark Knight Rises Teaser Trailer Surfaces, Shows Off Bane

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Just want to remind everyone for the 944th time that I was first to call Bane as the main bad guy months before it was official. That is all.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Woodsey said:
Was that Gordon? It's so hard to tell between my horrible eyesight and the fact that the video is the size of a freaking flea.

At least it alludes to the overall theme of DKR. I hope they do a fine job portraying Bane correctly (at least, within the parameters of Christopher Nolan's continuity, with respect to the comics).

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Scrythe said:
Woodsey said:
Was that Gordon? It's so hard to tell between my horrible eyesight and the fact that the video is the size of a freaking flea.

At least it alludes to the overall theme of DKR. I hope they do a fine job portraying Bane correctly (at least, within the parameters of Christopher Nolan's continuity, with respect to the comics).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apMXFloDH6M

Glorious HD. I'm not too sure why sites insist on using their own video players when they're all worse than Youtube's (and surely it costs them money).

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Arec Balrin said:
Just want to remind everyone for the 944th time that I was first to call Bane as the main bad guy months before it was official. That is all.
You and me both. Process of elimination FTW!

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Woodsey said:
Scrythe said:
Woodsey said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apMXFloDH6M

Glorious HD. I'm not too sure why sites insist on using their own video players when they're all worse than Youtube's (and surely it costs them money).
I appreciated that. I tried before looking for a vid online, but for some odd reason it didn't occur to me that there would be 50+ fake trailers on YouTube.

Apr 5, 2008
Terrible trailer, shows nothing about the film except some CGI and some voiceover from the first film. I'll wait to get excited until there's something worth getting excited about.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I was really hoping to see The Riddler...something more intelligent than Bane's simple "SMASH BATMAN" approach. T-T

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Haha people getting outraged that the teaser trailer doesn't show enough. That settles it then - the movie is going to suck!

As for me, I wasn't hyped about either of the two previous movies until they were out and I'm not getting hyped about this one either. That said I know it will be a good Batman movie so I'm ready to wait as long as it takes. In Nolan we trust.

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
Artemis923 said:
I was really hoping to see The Riddler...something more intelligent than Bane's simple "SMASH BATMAN" approach. T-T
Bane is actually one of the more intelligent characters in the Batman series, and one of the few to figure out Batman's identity with surprising ease. I am glad Tom Hardy is playing him because I feel he should be able to pull off both unstoppable and genius at the same time. He is stronger, more athletic and easily as intelligent if not moreso than Batman himself.

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Artemis923 said:
Bane is a tactical genius and his anger is controlled. Brace for over-analysis...(with spoilers)

I think the theme in this instalment will be Fear VS Anger: Batman can control his fear, Bane can control his anger. Batman has so far been able to beat any foe in a straight fight by being stronger than them and making them afraid of him. The Joker knew it so didn't base his 'win condition' on any fight with Batman at all. Bane identifies that Batman can't win him in a straight fight and Bane only needs to be aware of his surroundings so Batman can not use the environment against him (the error Rah'as al Ghul made: he could beat Batman in a fight, but never suspected it was a distraction and the environment was used against him).

In the first film Batman's win condition was being able to act without limits, so in The Dark Knight the Joker arrives on scene having already identified this strength which the mob still hasn't. He decides to escalate the antagonising relationships between all Gotham players so the margins in which Batman operates are narrowed. Batman says he only ever had one rule; he will not kill in cold blood or for expedience, an important threshold he decided on when he refused Rah'as al Ghul's order to execute a prisoner (and Batman later made an exception for Rah'as, who he allowed to die- perceiving him to be a thread to civilisation itself). The Joker forced him into a dilemma where he would have to break the rule again: choose to save Harvey Dent who represents Gotham's only legitimate hope for peace and order, or save Rachael Dawes who he had already shown to the Joker he will throw himself out of a window after to save. But Joker played a trick and gave Batman the reverse addresses for where each of them was; no matter which Batman chose as the priority, he would end up saving his second choice and be punished by the guilt. Batman chose Rachael, so he ended up at the address Harvey Dent was being held at instead and Rachael was killed.

The Joker's goal was to corrupt. Simply getting Batman and Dent out of the way wouldn't work; they would be replaced eventually by people just as good or better. He had to make it so what was right about them could turn wrong. Joker had seen enough during the film to learn the dynamics of the Dent-Rachael-Batman relationship and knew Rachael's death would send Dent insane and Dent's death would drive Rachael to hate Batman and Batman would have a similar reaction to the rejection that Dent had to her death. Alfred wisely destroyed the evidence that there was no longer hope Bruce Wayne could hang up his cape and live happily with Rachael, who decided to marry Dent. Having eventually learned of the Joker's true goal, Batman rushed to Two-Face's final crime scene and was forced one last time to break the one rule and kill Dent. Commissioner Gordon despaired; Dent's crimes would be uncovered, his reputation in tatters and he'd never be brought to trial so that the context would be revealed to explain it. Batman then realised the only win condition available would require a sacrifice. He could still have no limits, he could possibly avoid having to make further exceptions for the one rule and preserve Dent's pre-insanity legacy: he would take the blame for Dent's crimes, he only had to appear as if he was capable of anything even murder, he didn't have to actually do it.

So for the last film, he's met his intellectual and physical match who only Rah'as al Ghul surpasses but who has the benefit of hindsight and can only be truly stopped by being killed but will call the Batman's bluff on his supposed willingness to kill. In the previous two films, the biggest danger to Bruce Wayne's Batman plan for solving Gotham's crime problem was from the public, mainly their fear and anger. They're angry because they won't admit they're afraid and they're afraid because they think Gotham's villains are too powerful. Bane exemplifies the idea of power and is the most realistic of the 'brute' Batman villains. I think in this film, Batman's win condition will rely on him becoming legitimised in Gotham and the official support structure for his activities being introduced. The win condition will be taking what happened in the second film on the two hostage boats and getting the whole of Gotham to stand on principles and turn against crime.

Or Bane will be thrown into the river. He can't swim.

Kaisius

Dec 6, 2010
Regarding Liam Neeson's VO : That's not from Begins. That's a new reading. And, at around 0:34 or so, I believe he's saying "A legend destroying a legend." Having failed to turn the Batman, doe Ra's try again with Bane?

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
I saw Harry Potter today and I was surprised when this didn't show up in the previews... Is it because it only showed on the weekend? Bugger. Because HP was sold out all weekend. D: