The Darkness 2 First Look

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Oh gods....I don't think I could handle another 'Jenny' incident.
First time in a game that I actually was motivated by revenge.......

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
thecoreyhlltt said:
Sober Thal said:
No Mike Patton?!

That makes me a sad panda.
i know right! his name was the first thing that came to mind when i saw this thread.

super sad panda-bears :(
Actually, Mike Patton was confirmed a while ago. I'm not going to bother bringing up a link, but I don't know why it was never reported here.

Captcha; fectob uherla. Sounds dirty.

jacobschndr

Aug 15, 2008
hOLY cRAP! I cant believe they made this. I thought I was one of only a hundred people who enjoyed the first one.

Although, it does suck that theres no Mike Patton :(

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Irridium said:
I'm wondering how they managed to even get a sequel. The first game seemed like it had a pretty final ending.

The Darkness takes over Jackie completely.
Not completely...

At the end, it's revealed that in all the monologue sequences, he was within the darkness. But there's a small spotlight shining down on him and he was talking to Jenny the whole time. So I guess Jenny is the light in his darkness, kind of a faint slimmer of hope that he can get out of there.

I guess we'll see when the game comes out.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Hopefully yatzhee is going to review it for realz this time. The first darknesss review. well. That was back before the escapist captured him. Hopefully they have an extended opening for our friends on unskippable to get in on too.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
THEJORRRG said:
How does one control all these arms doing all these different things?
Great question. Each arm is controlled on a different bumper, along with the thumbsticks. So, your regular arms are the triggers, your demon arms are the bumpers.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Since this game seems to be going the prototype route, will this game get rid of the long range tentacle arm power? The power allowed the player to kill things afar by snaking a tentacle arm out around corners to one hit kill targets. That ability made the game ridiculously easy.

I just hope they do a a good test with all the powers they create for the game prior to release.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
THEJORRRG said:
Great question. Each arm is controlled on a different bumper, along with the thumbsticks. So, your regular arms are the triggers, your demon arms are the bumpers.
That sounds clunky. So (assuming you're using a controller) you have to hold a bumper down, and move the demon arms with the sticks instead of moving, or do you just mean the demon arms can only perform one function that is "fired" with the bumpers? Where did you hear this is how it was? In the first game it was basically a weapon scroller, but the description in this article makes the control of the arms sound a lot more in-depth than in the first game.
I'll be very interested to see how this one goes.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
THEJORRRG said:
Susan Arendt said:
THEJORRRG said:
That sounds clunky. So (assuming you're using a controller) you have to hold a bumper down, and move the demon arms with the sticks instead of moving, or do you just mean the demon arms can only perform one function that is "fired" with the bumpers? Where did you hear this is how it was? In the first game it was basically a weapon scroller, but the description in this article makes the control of the arms sound a lot more in-depth than in the first game.
I heard it from the Lead Designer of the game, so I'm pretty sure the intel is good. :) I didn't get to try it myself (the demo was hands-off), so I can't vouch for how smooth it is or isn't.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
THEJORRRG said:
Susan Arendt said:
THEJORRRG said:
I heard it from the Lead Designer of the game, so I'm pretty sure the intel is good. :) I didn't get to try it myself (the demo was hands-off), so I can't vouch for how smooth it is or isn't.
Oh, I'll take your word for it then! I hope there's a public demo at some point.

Jul 11, 2008
I really liked the 1st game and am looking forward to the second but let's face it the Top Cow's original story was better, more involved and would have made for way more fun gameplay.
I hate it when people ditch good source material like that.

Hell, if they made a Witchblade game they could have possibley tried for a Bioware style cross title continuity where the save game from one affects the narrative of the other.

The game was good but it could have been so much more.

SeriousSquirrel

Mar 15, 2010
Wow, just stumbled upon this.

I've yet to play The Darkness, but I've flirted with buying it many times. Now I'll probably end up buying it for sure. I get the feeling that this will be something of a sleeper hit, or a minor cult fave like the original.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Sober Thal said:
No Mike Patton?!

That makes me a sad panda.
I thought he'd signed on to do it? Did the article say no Mike Patton?

OT: One imp is my issue. As a life long fan of the comics, I have to say that one darkling takes it too far from the source material. The point of the darklings is that they don't always get it right, and that they aren't completely controllable. Which would add a nice level of difficulty to the game, no?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Damn Im gonna have to go out and get the first game again to get ready for this one.