The decline of Japanese games and culture: Need help with a term paper!

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Karutomaru said:
josemlopes said:
Karutomaru said:
I think there's no issue at all. Japanese games are ones of quality. They aren't bankrupt for ideas, because the most creative games come from Japan. All of my favorite Wii games and the majority of my gaming library is all Japanese. Madworld is Japanese, Sengoku Basara is Japanese, Viewtiful Joe is Japanese, Jump Ultimate Stars is Japanese to the max, and they all have nothing else like them.
Japan is sure as hell doing a better job at making games than America is. What truly great American games do I have? Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3?... Okay. Debatably House of the Dead Overkill, MAYBE (American devs, Japanese property), maybe the Lego games, Conduit 2, aaaaand that's it. The rest is all Japanese, like Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, and licensed shonen fighters (yes, Japan even makes licensed games better than America does.).
If the "best" "american" games that you have are Call of Duty games then you are not the best person to discuss what side is doing better. Its like me saying that I have a shitload of good "western" games (that is the correct term) and then say that since I only have FFXIII Japan doesnt have anything better to offer.

There are a lot of good games on both sides and there are a lot of terrible ones too.
Are you saying there are some western Wii games you can recommend me?
nope, but that doesn't mean that there are not good western games. The Elder Scroll series, God of War, Heavy Rain, Journey, Dreamfall:The longest journey, Beyond Good and Evil, Deus Ex, Bioshock, Soul Reaver all come to mind.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Manji187 said:
Well... the "screw-up" trinity of Squeenix (especially considering FF XIV), Capcom (considering the numerous SF4 and MvC3 editions) and Konami (apparently a relatively recent addition) is a start.

I bet their current business practices are the result of a business climate of financial risk and instability. Maybe economic sources would help?

Did that seaquake/ tsunami/ nuclear reactor incident not have an impact as well?
Konami's not a recent addition. They've just flown under the radar of most people, until yesterday. Ask any Suikoden fan.

I believe that the tsunami affected only SE. I hadn't heard about other companies having assets in that area.
Chemical Alia said:
Karutomaru said:
Then why do Japanese games still kick ass?
Ugh, speak for yourself. Japan could completely stop production of games that don't have the word "Mario" in the title and I wouldn't even notice.

On topic, though, I don't know of any specific studies. I read an article some time ago that described the decline of the anime industry in Japan and some reasons for it, maybe there are some parallel issues like catering increasingly to niche markets.

http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/play/decade-anime-682165
That is a HUGE help. Thanks!

RoboGeek

Apr 3, 2010
im not sure if you will see this or if it will help but at my university a Japanese company is hiring 2 students for a year placement, 1 programmer, 1 designer. they want to take a designer for a year because this company wants to make their games appeal to western gamers as well as Japanese ones

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I have no sources, but the big determination and stereotype that I associate with JRPG's is the overdramtization, or when they exaggerate the same generic angsty character.

Devs in Japan definitely take the less realistic route with their video games, and exploits the paranormal and fantasy more so than the American Developer (or Western Developer would probably be more appropriate). We are more likely to embrace... I guess masculinity, whereas the Japanese side is more willing to allow their viewers to embrace a much more an immature(not to be taken as an insult) character and story arc. Westerners embrace much more dark and dangerous themes. Hell, War, Corruption. Japanese often have more light fantasy, school themes, and mellow themes in general.

I guess my source is to look at how popular Metal Gear Solid is over here, which blends the elements of both cultures fairly well. You see the overdramatization, while at the same time you see the masculine, matured, and gruff protagonist. Also, another thing that points to that is how a good amount of the Western fanbase hated MGS2, which featured an annoyingly immature character that people despised, only to be brought back into the series as a more likable gruff and battlehardened warrior.