The defenders 2 not on the cards.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
In an interview with Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jones) it doesn;t look like a 2nd defenders is on the cards after the... mixed response from the 1st one.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/8/17095912/the-defenders-season-2-renew-jessica-jones

For me, this is a waste. The first season had crap writing, a crap theme, crap villains, crap twists but you know what wasn;t crap? The interactions between the characters. With a team of decent writers with a less super-duper-dull villain (the hand. really. realllllllly.) plot twists for the sake of them (not even shocking anymore) it could be a very good series. The main problem was the pacing in that it took too long for the team up to happen, however if there's a second season this can be bypassed fairly swiftly and lead to the good stuff!

Thoughts?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I liked Madam Gao like I always do, but yeah, the rest was kinda wasted potential. Also, I think it was a mistake to let Daredevil have more of a personal connection to the villain than Jessica Jones and Luke Cage did (with Danny Rand somewhere in between). It's supposed to be the four's fight, not the fight of one of them with Jessica and Luke also being present. Either let all of them have a very personal stake in things or none of them.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Queen Michael said:
I liked Madam Gao like I always do, but yeah, the rest was kinda wasted potential. Also, I think it was a mistake to let Daredevil have more of a personal connection to the villain than Jessica Jones and Luke Cage did (with Danny Rand somewhere in between). It's supposed to be the four's fight, not the fight of one of them with Jessica and Luke also being present. Either let all of them have a very personal stake in things or none of them.
I agree with all of this with one exception. I always like Sigourney Weaver on a screen regardless of the circumstances.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Damn...and here I was thinking this would be about the REAL Defenders...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenders_of_the_Earth

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
On the subject of The Hand; it's time to admit that ninjas were never cool.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Souplex said:
I'm not willing to stereotype all ninjas, but the Hand is not good and they've had four goes at it. I think they need to find something else.

The Hand in the show pretty much feels like The Foot

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
trunkage said:
Souplex said:
I'm not willing to stereotype all ninjas, but the Hand is not good and they've had four goes at it. I think they need to find something else.

The Hand in the show pretty much feels like The Foot
Which is ironic because the Foot was a copy of the Hand. And the Foot Ninja are seemingly more competent comparison to the hand. Granted, it depends on which version you're talking about, but most incarnations of the ,Foot would hand the Hand's ass over.

Apr 17, 2009
Eh, kind of feel its better if they only do the crossover series because they have a story to tell that involves all four heroes rather than "well, guess we gotta do this" Because thats really how the first (and by the sounds of it only) Defenders series felt. So holding off on any more until they actually have a good idea and decent scripts will work better

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Silentpony said:
What was the Defenders?
A show about defense attorneys starring Jim Belushi and Jerry O'Connell. I thought it was pretty alright, and was kind of disappointed it never got a second season.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Souplex said:
1 Ninja is cool. The fight between DareDevil and Nobu in season 1 is awesome.

The problem is, 1 ninja is cool, a group of ninjas is immediately lame.

But yeah, The Hand was the big problem. They single-handedly (wink wink har har) ruined DareDevil season 2, contributed to ruining Iron Fist (along with everything else wrong with Iron Fist), and made The Defenders boring. They're boring villains with a boring plan.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
It is easy enough to fix though. Bring in Vincent D'onofrio's Wilson Fiske. Give him a good 2nd in command, and a creepy powered heavy. For the first part of the series match him with another Big Bad, then have him take out his "partner" and take over that partner's henchmen and powerbase. Then have kingpin kill off someone big. Someone who has been around for several of these series. Jess's sister or lawyer, Matt's ex-partner, or Rosario Dawson's character... someone with impact. Preface that by killing the minor gun runner guy that's been around since the beginning, faking that would be the death of a long time character then BAM... hit with the real kill.

And the END will be the most important thing. It doesn't matter how you do it, the important thing is FISKE WINS. The Defenders are defeated, separated, down... but not out. That sets up the next round of series for everyone, lets you fix Iron Fist by teaming him with Cage and giving us Heroes for Hire, continues to beat down on Jess (because that's when she's at her best) AND gives DD a villain too big to take on by himself, setting up another team up.

Really that's what the first one should have been, but there's no reason they couldn't do it again. But they're not trying. They want out of their Netflix shows so they can start putting the content on Disney's streaming platform.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
It is easy enough to fix though. Bring in Vincent D'onofrio's Wilson Fiske. Give him a good 2nd in command, and a creepy powered heavy. For the first part of the series match him with another Big Bad, then have him take out his "partner" and take over that partner's henchmen and powerbase. Then have kingpin kill off someone big. Someone who has been around for several of these series. Jess's sister or lawyer, Matt's ex-partner, or Rosario Dawson's character... someone with impact. Preface that by killing the minor gun runner guy that's been around since the beginning, faking that would be the death of a long time character then BAM... hit with the real kill.

And the END will be the most important thing. It doesn't matter how you do it, the important thing is FISKE WINS. The Defenders are defeated, separated, down... but not out. That sets up the next round of series for everyone, lets you fix Iron Fist by teaming him with Cage and giving us Heroes for Hire, continues to beat down on Jess (because that's when she's at her best) AND gives DD a villain too big to take on by himself, setting up another team up.

Really that's what the first one should have been, but there's no reason they couldn't do it again. But they're not trying. They want out of their Netflix shows so they can start putting the content on Disney's streaming platform.
This is a very good plot, and I'd be honestly delighted to watch it. The villain needs to win now and then to remain a credible threat. (It's "Fisk," by the way, but anyway, excellent plot idea.)

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Eh, I can't say I'm upset. My biggest problem was that out of all the individual series leading up to Defenders, I only liked Jessica Jones. I couldn't watch Daredevil or Luke Cage or Iron Fist, just boredom abounds. So going in I had zero attachment to any of the characters and I never felt like they did anything to try and endear me to them. I get that's my fault, but at the same time I feel like I'm not the only one who didn't get on with one or a few of the solo series. If your 'Team Up' series relies on them, there's bound to be issues.