Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Ran across an article today which made me raise my eyebrows:

The article said:
Biden's 15.2m jobs are 8 times as many jobs as were created in the 16 years of the last 3 Republican Presidencies, combined.
Since I don't live in the US I don't know how these numbers express themselves on the ground so to speak, and they sound a bit too good to be true, but nonetheless: that is impressive.

I tried searching for alternative views and The Heritage Foundation claimed the jobs are mostly part time jobs. Paul Krugman on his micro blog also claimed that the economic growth of the US can be quite clearly linked to immigrants in the US.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA

Since I don't live in the US I don't know how these numbers express themselves on the ground so to speak, and they sound a bit too good to be true, but nonetheless: that is impressive.

I tried searching for alternative views and The Heritage Foundation claimed the jobs are mostly part time jobs. Paul Krugman on his micro blog also claimed that the economic growth of the US can be quite clearly linked to immigrants in the US.
Looking for alternative propaganda to counter the first propaganda is not likely to find you the truth.

The economy has gotten better since the start of Biden's term, anyone telling you otherwise is lying.

Biden's term started during an economic shutdown cause by a global pandemic, anyone bragging that the economy is better than that is an idiot.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Around 1/3 Retail, 1/3 hospitality, 1/3 government jobs. So only 1/3 of these jobs are 'white collar'.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Do you not realize how biased that is? You do realize a democratic president was right after the last 2 financial crises so jobs will only go up after that? And covid was rather random so it wasn't like republican or democratic policy, then the reason the 2008 crisis happened was due to policy passed under Clinton.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Do you not realize how biased that is? You do realize a democratic president was right after the last 2 financial crises so jobs will only go up after that? And covid was rather random so it wasn't like republican or democratic policy, then the reason the 2008 crisis happened was due to policy passed under Clinton.
Your reading comprehension is for shit dude.
He literally opens with doubt about it's legitimacy

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Your reading comprehension is for shit dude.
He literally opens with doubt about it's legitimacy
And he also says that it's impressive. It's just using numbers (that I assume are correct) in a very disingenuous manner. Same when people now say crime is down, it's hard to go up after skyrocketing now isn't it?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Biden's term started during an economic shutdown cause by a global pandemic, anyone bragging that the economy is better than that is an idiot.
I would not say that the US economy is powering ahead in an especially impressive fashion, but the US economy is clearly doing fine.

Most independent reports say that the US economy has robust and broad growth across multiple sectors, and projections for the next year or two continue to look good. Unemployment is low, exports have shown strong improvement, inflation is returning to normal levels following the Ukraine war... The USA should be enjoying the fact things have gone better than feared a year or two back, and that they seem likely to continue doing well for the near future.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I would like to see what Biden can do with a majority in both houses. All but confirmed Dems will have the house in 2025 but chances are less likely that they will hold a majority in the senate.

Biden is heavily interested in tax restructuring to "tax the rich", though honestly we are at a breaking towards Idiocracy where Amazon, Google and others are almost above the law, reshaping the blue/white collar job market and driving us towards economic collapse. Its going to take more than shaving off the edges and dripping it into welfare programs. We need a massive investment breaking up these corporations. Biden has shown a willingness to sign any legislation the progressives can get in front of but hes powerless with that majority.

I think thats where Ill defend Biden, in simpler terms, hes not a stooge neo-liberal. While hes not a strong leader, hes willing to support the objectives of the CPC. If they can put the acts in front of him to tear down the corporation mafias hell sign it. Good enough for me.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I would not say that the US economy is powering ahead in an especially impressive fashion, but the US economy is clearly doing fine.

Most independent reports say that the US economy has robust and broad growth across multiple sectors, and projections for the next year or two continue to look good. Unemployment is low, exports have shown strong improvement, inflation is returning to normal levels following the Ukraine war... The USA should be enjoying the fact things have gone better than feared a year or two back, and that they seem likely to continue doing well for the near future.
I'm inclined to think everything you say can be true with my point standing. If all those are true, it only makes using the start of his term an even sillier point of comparison. Just the last year is more compelling.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Biden is heavily interested in tax restructuring to "tax the rich" [...]
Is he?

I think he's occasionally interested in the rhetoric and optics of such a position, and not so much with meaningful movements in that direction.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
And he also says that it's impressive.
Truth be told, I wasn't completely happy with how I expressed myself. I wrote that post late at night and as I had finished it it felt off due to me being hesitant to attribute any economic outcome to policies. There are so many factors present that even if a policy could universally be considered good it would be hard to prove that it is since implementing it by necessity would be a disruption to an already moving economy, so the results might be obscured or explained away by existing conditions. Hence why my post was filled with disclaimers, and in retrospect I probably should've gone with "remarkable".

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Truth be told, I wasn't completely happy with how I expressed myself. I wrote that post late at night and as I had finished it it felt off due to me being hesitant to attribute any economic outcome to policies. There are so many factors present that even if a policy could universally be considered good it would be hard to prove that it is since implementing it by necessity would be a disruption to an already moving economy, so the results might be obscured or explained away by existing conditions. Hence why my post was filled with disclaimers, and in retrospect I probably should've gone with "remarkable".
No worries.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Is he?

I think he's occasionally interested in the rhetoric and optics of such a position, and not so much with meaningful movements in that direction.
Biden says a lot of things that don't pan out

You don't even have to change any law. You just have to apply the current laws to rich people like they apply it to poor people. But he won't because the rich pay him not to

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It’s not Biden or his administration's fault that the world is destabilizing.

So, there was a guy on TikTok who was complaining about the US government building a train across the moon through Northrop Grumman. He argues that we could either use the money for trains in America or other more beneficial policies such as healthcare and likely education. And while I disagree, I think the US being an empire/hegemon/superpower/very powerful territory with a government is going to do what powerful powers always do to ensure they continue to be powerful; I understand. I come from the largest metropolitan area without passenger rail. There is light rail in Cleveland up to the Northeast but not in Columbus Ohio. And imagine if the US did the same thing China did where they put passenger rail across most of the eastern seaboard like China did to the Chinese heartland. Also, full disclosure my student loans are being forgiven, and while I don’t have healthcare, I am not doing that bad personally compared to many people in America and worldwide. But Biden is doing his best and making the correct calculations based on his experience.

His calculation on economic policy is simple. He will do everything he can for the working class, middle class, and upper-middle class without killing his reelection or making things worse overall for America. He forgives as much student aid as he can without sidestepping the courts like a dictator would and this would likely also make the national Republicans do the same as what many state republicans did in my state which was sidestep the courts when funding schools more fairly. (without property taxes being unevenly distributed based on property values) This would create a situation where Republicans in many states could sidestep the Supreme Court and we would have even more deaths and poor policy. This could easily get people killed at the southern border, get more police killings, more local journalists being sued perhaps, and even policies that I can’t think of that would happen. Yes, health insurance is expensive, and drugs are expensive but without high healthcare costs we would likely see both the demand rise from more people using healthcare unnecessary and the supply fall due to lower wages and staffing issues. I agree with a public option, but Biden expended most of his political capital on climate change and infrastructure which is one hundred percent worth it over healthcare. Also, if and when he goes full Bernie Sanders the rich could flood money to his opponent, and he would lose the election, no politician will do this other than a saint or a one-term idiot. While Bernie Sanders would have had a better foreign policy on Gaza, and maybe on Ukraine, and a better bureaucratic policy, he wouldn’t have gotten the new Green Deal or infrastructure passed and I doubt he would have gotten money out of politics which would be needed to secure a second term.

His foreign policy again is a policy that looks bad but isn’t that bad when you consider additional facts like world events, and alliances. The policy on Gaza for example where let’s say Biden and Blinken get Israel to back off on annexing Gaza by forcing the PLO to pacify the region isn’t going to work. The Kenya military refused to go into Haiti, the Indian and Pakistani militaries refused to go into dangerous enforcement missions in Africa like the Congo and the PLO refused to go into Gaza without American funding and Israeli backing then the same idiots who are complaining about US foreign policy of “giving money to countries like Ukraine” would complain about this. Why are we funding Western appeasement? This is imperialism, and you get the point. The only way forward is to slowly ratchet the pressure on Israel. So why did the US deny the Palestinians a state, I don’t agree with this, but I can think of a few reasons, one is Israel is a nuclear-armed nation and yes if they were sanctioned some of their tech wouldn’t work, but they will find a way, and another rogue nuclear actor would spell havoc for the region and the world. Two the US would be seen as pulling support from a critical ally in the region which could prove the miscalculation trigger for China going into Taiwan and that could cascade into a whole series of problems. The third is that Biden makes the policies, and Blinken has to meet with other world leaders like Israeli leaders face to face, so, of course, he’s going to have to play a softer hand to Netanyahu, it’s good cop and bad cop.