The degradation of the English language on the Internet

spoonish

Jun 10, 2009
well, butchering or not, its helping evolve the english language.. shakespeare himself invented tens of thousands of words, and spelled the same word in many different ways, but we don't see a huge fuss over him 'butchering' the language...

its just like australia though, innit... they've come up with words like 'fairdinkum'... I wouldn't call that a butchering of the language... although I would say that australian english should be considered a dialect of english... some of the terms they use took me a while to figure out...

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
There is quite a difference between adding new words to the language, and mispelling/misusing those that are already there... And none of that excuses the improper use of punctuation and capitals.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
If only we could score the internet...I'm not a pro in the English language. Actually, this is my second language. (First is french). I still have many troubles with both of them.

Knolle

Mar 12, 2009
It doesn't overtly concern me, since english isn't my native tongue either, but I think it's a rather bad habit. There's nothing to be gained from it, since typing weird abbreviations isn't much faster than writing complete sentences if you are actually any good at typing and/or able to create grammatically correct sentences.

And that is actually the crux of the issue, I presume.
I mean, people keep writing these half-assed sentences because they either can't be bothered or think it takes too long. And if it is such a bother in the first place, then abandoning any practice doesn't improve upon this issue now, does it?

Granted, I screw up my sentences and grammar all the time, since I tend to get distracted by whatever might come to my mind, but improving upon my written english actually helped me greatly with my spoken english too.

I just can't relate to why people do it. English isn't even a hard language. It's a bit of a shame.