The Depressing Thread

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
Ok, Escapists, it's about that time. We've all been having a good time lately, so that must mean it's time for a healthy dose of some grounding depression.

Top of the evening to you all, it's me The Escapist's favorite lurker and occasional poster, I thought it was about time to dispel everyone's illusion of happiness. As someone who's been venting their sadness on this site for several years now, I decided it time to pay it forward and create this thread. So this is a place that where you can tell your sad tale without judgment, and be amongst your angsty peers.

As a connoisseur of antidepressants, and general buzz-kill I'm more than qualified to be your shoulder to cry on. Your tales of sadness make me stronger really touch me. So go ahead and tell me what has you feeling blue today.

I'll start. I'm a 19 year old alcoholic who's favorite hobby is watching anime and being alone. Your turn!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Said it the other day in that "best thing that's happened to you this week" thread, but currently the rumor floating around the apartment complex I live in is that it might be getting closed down in the near future, so everyone will be getting evicted. And this is all while I'm in the process of trying to get together all of the things I need to be able to attend university in Canada.

Fun times.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
It's not really my tale of sadness, but it made me a bit sad this week. I live near Joplin, Missouri, and this week my coworkers and I got to talking about the tornado that happened a few years ago. One of them said there was a family who went to their basement like they were supposed to, and the top of the house was completely decimated. A water pipe was damaged and it flooded the basement with them inside, and the damage to the house and around it kept them from escaping. Their bodies were found at the top of the basement, with their arms reaching up into the rubble above them.

And then that got me thinking of the couple who piled into their bathtub and put a comforter over themselves. The man was on top of the woman protecting her, and a chunk of wood ended up stabbing him in the back and killing him. She was kept safe, but he died right there on top of her.

...Yeah :-\

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
Lilani said:
Well that's sufficiently depressing, so let it all out. this is a place to mourn, after all.

While on the subject of weather, a man in Germany was impaled and killed by a 6 foot ice cycle, some odd years ago.

theboombody

Jan 2, 2014
Read the Biblical book of Ecclesiastes. Most depressing thing ever. "All is meaningless. There is nothing new under the sun." No matter how much we labor, it's all in vain. All we build will be destroyed. Physicists are starting to notice this as well, seeing that the universe will one day end.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
My bipolar disorder's been really bad for the last few months, eventually causing me to grind to a complete halt last week. Failed to write and submit my university thesis, got dragged back to my parents' home (which I'm hating but it was that or a psych hospital), now waiting to hear what the fuck I might be able to do to salvage my degree (which I've hated from day one anyway).

Oh, and the same day I arrived here my mother had a full-on psychotic break of her own. I had to call the mental health crisis team and generally try to handle her situation all while being completely suicidal myself. Now we're stuck in the house together tiptoeing round each other and enduring silences so awkward the word doesn't come close to doing it justice.

Life really, really sucks right now.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
Eamar said:
Life is a cruel mistress. Bipolar disorder and other mental disorders can really throw a wrench in our attempts at happiness. But I urge you to look on the bright side, family will eventually come around (in my experience) and you don't need anyone's approval anyways.
cojo965 said:
Prepare to Cry. The most depressing lore series on Youtube.
VaatiVidya, where would we be without his insightful videos? Sometimes it's nice to just submit to your depression and watch a few sad videos.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
24 year old male with asperger's syndrome, never been kissed or on a date and it kills me inside. I'm trying to accept that I'll be alone forever but part of me doesn't want to.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
24 year old male with asperger's syndrome, never been kissed or on a date and it kills me inside. I'm trying to accept that I'll be alone forever but part of me doesn't want to.
22 here with autism and same.

We're brothers-in-no-one's-arms it seems. :)

Anyway. The fact that it's already been nearly four years since I left high school kinda depresses me a bit. It really hasn't felt that long ago. It's not that I miss the place, far from it, but I just feel that time is going a bit uncomfortably fast for my liking.

I also finally decided to try and get my driver's license. So far, I got my permit and I'm taking driving lessons from an online school.

The guy who was assigned to teach me asked me about my age. When I told him, he asked. "Well what took you so long? Most people start driving when they're 16."

I told him that I felt I wasn't ready at the time. He just replied with a rather sarcastic sounding "Uh-huh".

As much he pissed me off for being so condescending, he was right. I did start driving much later than other people. What he didn't know of course was at 16, I was taking a special ed class teaching people about coping skills and getting into the work place. I had terrible social skills and had little self confidence. And at the time, I had no intention of driving because I had no desire to become independent.

While my attitude has changed and I am trying to improve myself and become more independent, what he said back there made me realize that no matter what I do, no matter how hard I try to improve myself, to conform to society's standards, I'll always be different from most everyone else and there's nothing I can do about it.

To be honest, it scares me.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Everyone take out your smartphones right now. Navigate to that phone's respective appstore. Click Top Free. Download the top ten games in this category. Play them all to completion.

Now to to gamasutra.com, click Smartphone/Tablet, and read all the articles in this category, starting with the oldest articles and working your way through the archives to the newest articles.

I make no explicit suggestions as to what you should do with your remaining lifespan.

Steam just started carrying free games.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
Funny you posted this today, I just found an article an hour ago saying that one of my favourite comedians, John Pinette,
died today [http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/06/john-pinette-dead-dies-hotel-room-comedian-seinfeld-finale/]. I dont know how many fans of his are on The Escapist so it might not have the same impact, but it sure ruined my day

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I had to put my cat Trumador to sleep last April because he had gotten cancer in his stomach and was in a lot of pain because of it. I had him for three years and out of all the cats we own he was my favorite. He was a good cat.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I'm a recently-turned-26-year-old college drop out, with no idea what to do in life, delivering pizzas alongside highschool students.

Your move, thread.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's the final two weeks before I graduate my tech school with an electronics diploma using the very last of the money my parents scraped together for my education... and I'm increasingly sure I took a course and career path I don't want.

Help.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
scorptatious said:
While my attitude has changed and I am trying to improve myself and become more independent, what he said back there made me realize that no matter what I do, no matter how hard I try to improve myself, to conform to society's standards, I'll always be different from most everyone else and there's nothing I can do about it.

To be honest, it scares me.
I'm sure you've heard this before, but you really don't need to conform to "society's standards". Society's standards suck anyway. It might sound cheesy and silly and stupid and obvious, but all you have to do is be the best "you" you can be.

And honestly, it will be scary. And it'll probably remain scary for a long time. It's only been the last year where I've finally had the self-confidence to feel like I could move out on my own, and I'm 22 and been graduated from high school for four years as well. Except I haven't even overcome my fears of driving, and here I am planning on moving to another country for school. You know how insane that is? XD

Er... I'm not usually like this, spouting pointless platitudes on the internet, I swear. It's 1 AM and I just watched Blade Runner for the first time and it was a damn good movie and this is why I don't generally stay up late any more.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
22 year old kissless virgin... I'm not even unattractive or socially awkward, just scared of being intimate because of my lack of experience. I'm also terrible at telling when a girl is attracted to me. I usually don't realize it at all in the moment and then later that even my brain will be yelling at me for being an idiot.

Other than that... um, I almost died a few months ago. Turns out I have Addison's disease. My health basically kept deteriorating over the course of a few months while doctors didn't have a clue what was wrong with me. I had a lot of tests but didn't find out what the issue was until I was in the emergency room of the local hospital (I couldn't stand without fainting and my blood pressure was extremely low). I had to drop out of my current semester which threw my graduation off by half a year. I'm totally fine now (have to take steroids to make up for the ones my body doesn't produce anymore) but needless to say, I was not a happy camper during those three months.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Having depressions since 5 years due to gettin' fucked by life since the age of roughly 6. An environment which systematicaly dismantled and inverted every last one of my positive character traits into something i'm ashamed or scared of. A bunch of teachers in diffrent schools which harrased me psychological from the age of 6 to ~13.
Two huge dicks as step-dad plus my ex-fianceé left from one day to the other with my back then best friend, also my dad got very sick and lost all his savings - and mine.

So basically: No self esteem, no money, lonliness, depressions, sleep deprivation, unresloved issue between me, my mother and my father due to the "no money" problem.

At least i consigned to a clinic now after talkin' it through with my psychiatrist. Maybe it helps.

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
My whole family at the moment is in a bit of a tough spot. Just over half way through last year I was identified to have had severe depression since I was as young as eleven, the medication I've been taking for which isn't even taking the edge off, been having problems with paranoia and friends abandoning me, no motivation to get up which has been wrecking my attendance and marks at school, self image problems, so on and so fourth. My mother has it really tough as well, as in yesterday when we were having a day with family friends I had to try my hardest to stop her from going back to her room and either crying or just going back to bed. We've been living in rental houses since late 2012 and all the things my mum does for entertainment are essentially in the garage for the next 18 months because we can't afford to unpack things before the next (and hopefully final) move. It's pretty crushing, 'cos she has no real space to herself at the moment, in any sense of the word.

Things aren't great at the moment. I don't want to sound too depressing, but it seems like things have been in a really tough spot for the last 3-4 years. Yeesh.

Anyways, my heart goes out to all the other people in this thread and I hope for all the best with all you.

Xan Krieger said:
Awh, chin up buddy, there's someone out there for everyone. It takes time but eventually you'll meet someone who wants to be with you as much as you want to be with them. Hold on to some faith, because you never know when life can turn around. I, myself have never been in a relationship (I've thought I was, but wasn't, long story) and kiss-less aswell. I'm likely alot younger than you and it may not mean as much to me as it does to you, but I know what it's like to feel lonely and unwanted. But I still hold onto hope, and I hope you can too :)

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Well, I started antidepressants last thursday. And will start counselling in a months time. I can barely remember the doctor's appointment, it was a blurry 20 minutes.

If these things don't have a good effect on my motivation, and soon, I sure as hell won't be getting anywhere this year. And then there's the self-esteem issues...but that's what the counselling is supposed to help with.