The difference of isms.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
firmicute said:
Realitycrash said:
thaluikhain said:
If someone says something racist, they are being racist. It's not a leap to assume that this isn't the only time they are racist.

It doesn't mean they are very racist, but it means they are being at least somewhat racist.
Geh, okey, this is a tad too extreme of a conclusion. Should you keep your jokes to yourself in order to not hurt others you know will take offense? Yes.
Does a joke make you racist/sexist? No. It makes you a man with (at times) improper social-skills.
racism, homophobia, sexism&co is no joke, ist assholery. if you think ist funny to hurt people and your fun is more worth than emotions of maybe even hundresd of people, than you arent funny, you are a prick.
Yeah, you sort of missed the entire conversation up to this point, didn't you? I said I wouldn't tell such jokes unless I know positively that they won't offend anyone. Dude, it says so right there. Yet not everyone is offended by such jokes (like me, or my friends), which makes it a-okey to joke with your friends about such things (unless in public).

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
No, it means I am not against humor. Humor (except puns) will always have a 'target'. Someone will ALWAYS be the one laughed 'at' instead of 'with'. I'm an equal-opportunity offended, I laugh at pretty much everything if I know no-one will be offended by it (Pedophilia, gang-rape, genocide, etc). I don't support either. As an example, I find the homophobic right-wing moron Rorschach from Watchmen to be an awesome guy to read about, but I hate his world view.
You really can't equate these things.
I don't mean you have to support it, I mean it is hypocritical to say "don't be a racist", then say a bunch of racist jokes to someone.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:
To a point that's true the intent, actions, and person are not always indicative of each other. I make racist comments all the time, but it's clear that the intent is to play on stereotypes and that I don't really buy into them. I tell people if they are offended they can offend me back in the same way and I apologize. Sometimes people say things that accidentally hit a chord with some people. Sometimes making a "nigga" joke really actually hurts a person, or making a "get in the kitchen" joke hurts deep down. The problem is with things like that there are many people who feel that certain responses are legitimate.

Online and in person ultimately if you make a sexist/racist/homophobic comment and someone calls you on that, regardless of whether or not it's a joke, don't act like they're in the wrong. They don't know you and the internet does not account for tone, nor do you know them or the things they've had to go through. It's one thing to say certain things around friends because they know you. When you make a stereotyping joke around strangers you are giving them information about you that will interpreted in all likelihood it will be interpreted wrong and it's your fault for thinking "They'll find this funny". When you say certain things to strangers you are telling them "this is how I think" and you may find it unfair, but tough luck. Welcome to the human race.

And honestly...if you make certain jokes all the time, there's probably a kernel of truth that you believe it.
It's not a stupid argument. It's a damn fucking fact. Bullying has always been apart of species and it's a part of growing up. Bullying teaches you many, many lessons about life. (bullying, not harassment.) It also teaches you that even in the real world that are going to be jackasses who are going to make fun of you. (outside of school) Are you seriously okay with a generation of kids that break out crying every time someone calls them a little *****?

Wait...Your counter-argument is that 'bullying is a part of growing up'? Really..? REALLY? Do you even know what bullying amounts to?
And these people do not 'break down and cry', we get offended. It not only hurts those who hear it, but it hurts you, because these people will/might get a lower opinion of you.
Seriously. Just..Don't do that here. You will get banned so, so fast if you think it is acceptable.
lol, Oh god! someone has a different opinion than me! BAN HIM!

Good thinking.

Also YES bullying is part of growing up.
What you see today is not just normal bullying but it's harassment.

There's a big, BIG difference.
Yes, the rules are quite clearly on my side. Tell poor jokes that offend others, and you will get warned. Which will get you banned. Which I do not wish for you to be. It's a fair warning.

Eh, you and I have a very different view of what the concept of 'bullying' means, obviously. Either way, I don't support it, especially not as a teaching-method for people to not grow up to be 'little bitches'.
It's not allowed here either, by the way.
Did I make a offensive joke yet? No. I didn't.
So chill out.

Also then what is? Should we just live in a society where no one is offensive at all? That everyone should be monitored 24/7 hours 365 days a year just so some 35 year old man that hasn't gotten over the fact that people are assholes won't cry because he saw a offensive joke?

Yeah. That's seems cool.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Glongpre said:
No, it means I am not against humor. Humor (except puns) will always have a 'target'. Someone will ALWAYS be the one laughed 'at' instead of 'with'. I'm an equal-opportunity offended, I laugh at pretty much everything if I know no-one will be offended by it (Pedophilia, gang-rape, genocide, etc). I don't support either. As an example, I find the homophobic right-wing moron Rorschach from Watchmen to be an awesome guy to read about, but I hate his world view.
I don't mean you have to support it, I mean it is hypocritical to say "don't be a racist", then say a bunch of racist jokes to someone.
And I just provided you with a counter-argument, that 'being a racist' and 'pulling racist jokes to people who also are not racists and in the confines of privacy' is not the same thing. You have to at least try to explain why I am wrong.

The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:
To a point that's true the intent, actions, and person are not always indicative of each other. I make racist comments all the time, but it's clear that the intent is to play on stereotypes and that I don't really buy into them. I tell people if they are offended they can offend me back in the same way and I apologize. Sometimes people say things that accidentally hit a chord with some people. Sometimes making a "nigga" joke really actually hurts a person, or making a "get in the kitchen" joke hurts deep down. The problem is with things like that there are many people who feel that certain responses are legitimate.

Online and in person ultimately if you make a sexist/racist/homophobic comment and someone calls you on that, regardless of whether or not it's a joke, don't act like they're in the wrong. They don't know you and the internet does not account for tone, nor do you know them or the things they've had to go through. It's one thing to say certain things around friends because they know you. When you make a stereotyping joke around strangers you are giving them information about you that will interpreted in all likelihood it will be interpreted wrong and it's your fault for thinking "They'll find this funny". When you say certain things to strangers you are telling them "this is how I think" and you may find it unfair, but tough luck. Welcome to the human race.

And honestly...if you make certain jokes all the time, there's probably a kernel of truth that you believe it.
It's not a stupid argument. It's a damn fucking fact. Bullying has always been apart of species and it's a part of growing up. Bullying teaches you many, many lessons about life. (bullying, not harassment.) It also teaches you that even in the real world that are going to be jackasses who are going to make fun of you. (outside of school) Are you seriously okay with a generation of kids that break out crying every time someone calls them a little *****?

Wait...Your counter-argument is that 'bullying is a part of growing up'? Really..? REALLY? Do you even know what bullying amounts to?
And these people do not 'break down and cry', we get offended. It not only hurts those who hear it, but it hurts you, because these people will/might get a lower opinion of you.
Seriously. Just..Don't do that here. You will get banned so, so fast if you think it is acceptable.

Good thinking.

Yes, the rules are quite clearly on my side. Tell poor jokes that offend others, and you will get warned. Which will get you banned. Which I do not wish for you to be. It's a fair warning.

Eh, you and I have a very different view of what the concept of 'bullying' means, obviously. Either way, I don't support it, especially not as a teaching-method for people to not grow up to be 'little bitches'.
So chill out.

Also then what is? Should we just live in a society where no one is offensive at all? That everyone should be monitored 24/7 hours 365 days a year just so some 35 year old man that hasn't gotten over the fact that people are assholes won't cry because he saw a offensive joke?

Yeah. That's seems cool.
No, we shouldn't. We should use reasonable caution when around others to make sure not to cause undue harm. This includes places such as class-rooms, restaurants, and yes, internet-forums. Basically, if you can get some privacy, then shoot your mouth off. Otherwise, don't.

Edit: This do not count for shows that are meant for humor, like stand-up, or tv-shows, etc. They are allowed to be assholes because people know it's a humor-show. It might still be hurtful, though, but people do not really have to be there to watch it, or listen to it. Still, even there, it can go too far.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:

Well I am not.

Also your second paragraph.
Stop judging them yo.
But yeah, I do agree with you on your last paragraph, but why is this behavior acceptable?
People have senses of humor, people like certain types of jokes.
It does not make them a sexist/racist person.

What makes them a sexist/racist person is when they actually start taking negative actions towards that group.

Not sitting around a camp fire telling dumb blonde jokes.
Oh yes Bullying taught me plenty of lessons. It taught me how to not trust people. It taught me what it was like to want to kill someone. IT taught me what it was like to hate with such a passion that my body couldn't stop shaking and I couldn't make a coherent sentence. People say bullying builds a tough skin, but all it builds is bitterness and hate. Sometimes it breeds death to...sometimes to the victim...sometimes to the bully. I thought about killing people ALOT from middle school on, and the only reason I didn't was that I wanted to publish a book. I'm being 100% honest. I'm surprised I never killed someone (though bullying did make me have a nervous break down and assault an innocent classmate, who was teasing me playfully in a way I did not like. Which I still feel horrible for and have cried over to this day)

Because it's human behavior. Making a racist/sexist/etc comment to a stranger...they react assuming you really feel that way...you have no right to get upset. Are they supposed to just trust that you're really a decent human being? Personally unless context in an online or in person discussion and tone are clarified I assume you mean it because I grew up in a town where racism was a very real thing. As I said I make racist comments too in jest, but I know I'm in the wrong for doing so and I know when it's appropriate to make those comments and I ALWAYS make sure my tone clarifies that I don't really feel that way. Though I acknowledge some part of me must feel there's a kernel of truth to it, because that is the root of almost everything human beings find funny.

I get where your coming from but when you make those comments to those who have no reason to think you any different your setting yourself up. You keep trying to make it that your completely innocent and people should just accept it as "your sense of humor", and not assume you think a certain way when what your telling them is that you in fact DO think a certain way. Just don't make those comments around those who know you don't mean it if you don't want them to question where you stand on certain things. I direct your own question back at you, why is making those jokes acceptable?

A comparison, and I consider myself a feminist here. When a man or a woman dresses in a revealing manner, acts in a sexual way, etc. people are just going to assume you are a certain way because your telling them they are right to think that. How you present yourself is everything.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
Realitycrash said:
Glongpre said:
And I just provided you with a counter-argument, that 'being a racist' and 'pulling racist jokes to people who also are not racists and in the confines of privacy' is not the same thing. You have to at least try to explain why I am wrong.

The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:

Good thinking.

So chill out.

Yeah. That's seems cool.
No, we shouldn't. We should use reasonable caution when around others to make sure not to cause undue harm. This includes places such as class-rooms, restaurants, and yes, internet-forums. Basically, if you can get some privacy, then shoot your mouth off. Otherwise, don't.

Edit: This do not count for shows that are meant for humor, like stand-up, or tv-shows, etc. They are allowed to be assholes because people know it's a humor-show. It might still be hurtful, though, but people do not really have to be there to watch it, or listen to it. Still, even there, it can go too far.
B'AWWWWWH. Then don't watch it and don't listen to it?
I hate the fact through out my grade school years I was always taught to walk away from if I get offended.
Yet as I got older.. it seems like no one does that at all.
darlarosa said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:

Well I am not.

Stop judging them yo.
But yeah, I do agree with you on your last paragraph, but why is this behavior acceptable?

What makes them a sexist/racist person is when they actually start taking negative actions towards that group.

I get where your coming from but when you make those comments to those who have no reason to think you any different your setting yourself up. You keep trying to make it that your completely innocent and people should just accept it as "your sense of humor", and not assume you think a certain way when what your telling them is that you in fact DO think a certain way. Just don't make those comments around those who know you don't mean it if you don't want them to question where you stand on certain things. I direct your own question back at you, why is making those jokes acceptable?

A comparison, and I consider myself a feminist here. When a man or a woman dresses in a revealing manner, acts in a sexual way, etc. people are just going to assume you are a certain way because your telling them they are right to think that. How you present yourself is everything.
I don't think they should accept my humor.
They shouldn't be labeling people as sexist/racism DUE TO THEIR HUMOR SENSE to the extent that they online. It seems like every slightest joke now is the person is label as racist/whatever Is this the really over-sensitive-Potilical-Correctness we should have?

America has already started to ban books that are a few hundreds years old and to be a major part in art just due to PC and I am tired of it. I am tired over the fact people are heading into this over-sensitive-PC police state because they can't just look the other way and go on with their own damn lives.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
Glongpre said:

The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:

Good thinking.

So chill out.

Yeah. That's seems cool.

I hate the fact through out my grade school years I was always taught to walk away from if I get offended.
..Difference being that you can 'walk away' from listening to a tv-show or the radio. When it is in the open, or on a forum, it gets forcefully inflicted upon you. You didn't 'sign up' for being treated that way. That is why movies and radio-shows have disclaimers and ratings, especially warnings about language.

And you got a warning already, for indirectly calling me stupid (and I really didn't report it, but someone must have). That, too, was forced upon me, in a situation it should not have to have.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
Glongpre said:

..Difference being that you can 'walk away' from listening to a tv-show or the radio. When it is in the open, or on a forum, it gets forcefully inflicted upon you. You didn't 'sign up' for being treated that way. That is why movies and radio-shows have disclaimers and ratings, especially warnings about language.

And you got a warning already, for indirectly calling me stupid (and I really didn't report it, but someone must have). That, too, was forced upon me, in a situation it should not have to have.
Indirectly? Ha. That's more about personal opinion than me actually calling you stupid. It may have seem that way, but I didn't mean it to come across like that.

.. Um what? Nobody forces you to read a forum. Nobody forces you to sit there and stare a comment for hours on end and nobody forces you to even respond to it.

If someone calls you a insult you don't like.
Just ignore it. You don't have to feed into their humor/immaturity.

I don't see how this is any different in real life.

If someone calls you a ***** in a real life you can walk away, or just choose to ignore it.
IF someone calls you a ***** on the forums you can just choose to ignore it, or log off.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:

Well I am not.

Stop judging them yo.

Please tell us more about how things were different back in your day, about how bullying really is good for kids, because it mans them up and how kids today are all whiny little crybabies.

*rolls eyes*

I've read through all of your posts on this thread, and you're just completely ignoring that on the internet, there is no context.

No there's no real harm in telling dumb blonde jokes around your friends at a campfire. But on the internet, nobody can tell if you're just being facetious or serious.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
Glongpre said:

Indirectly? Ha. That's more about personal opinion than me actually calling you stupid. It may have seem that way, but I didn't mean it to come across like that.

.. Um what? Nobody forces you to read a forum. Nobody forces you to sit there and stare a comment for hours on end and nobody forces you to even respond to it.

If someone calls you a ***** in a real life you can walk away, or just choose to ignore it.
IF someone calls you a ***** on the forums you can just choose to ignore it, or log off.
No, you might not have meant it, yet clearly, you got a warning, because context is everything, and on internet it is hard to determine. That seems to be the point I was trying to make with the very first post.

Actually, no-one forces me to read forums, but I am protected by the CoC here, so I am 'protected' from being insulted by things I do not wish to have forced upon me. I did not 'sign up' for an all-out everything goes, or I would be at 4chan. Simple as that.
In real life, there is no law against offending others, but yet there seems to be an implicit idea that you shouldn't hurt others. Offending people hurts them (at times far less than others, but hey, we can never really tell which time is which before we actually do it. Damn have I failed that a few moments in life..). So we shouldn't. That is simply it.
You think it's alright, because people need to 'toughen up', and somehow being offended is good for them.
I do not.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
Lionsfan said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:

Well I am not.

Stop judging them yo.

Please tell us more about how things were different back in your day, about how bullying really is good for kids, because it mans them up and how kids today are all whiny little crybabies.

*rolls eyes*

I've read through all of your posts on this thread, and you're just completely ignoring that on the internet, there is no context.

No there's no real harm in telling dumb blonde jokes around your friends at a campfire. But on the internet, nobody can tell if you're just being facetious or serious.
So that makes it's okay to be ignorant and stupid?
Well this is the internet therefor I shouldn't even bother to spend a little brain power to determine if this person is being serious or not. In most cases I can generally tell if someone is just being a troll. Sure. I will admit sometimes it's harder to tell than others. Like the Steve Wilkos show I posted. I almost believed that he wasn't being serious and it was all just an act.

But just because this is the web is does not make it okay to throw around sexist/racist/other things just because it's harder to tell if they're being serious. Back in the day these were SERIOUS issues now they're just a joke it seems that people only throw around because they don't like someone else.

Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
Glongpre said:

No, you might not have meant it, yet clearly, you got a warning, because context is everything, and on internet it is hard to determine. That seems to be the point I was trying to make with the very first post.

Actually, no-one forces me to read forums, but I am protected by the CoC here, so I am 'protected' from being insulted by things I do not wish to have forced upon me. I did not 'sign up' for an all-out everything goes, or I would be at 4chan. Simple as that.
In real life, there is no law against offending others, but yet there seems to be an implicit idea that you shouldn't hurt others. Offending people hurts them (at times far less than others, but hey, we can never really tell which time is which before we actually do it. Damn have I failed that a few moments in life..). So we shouldn't. That is simply it.
You think it's alright, because people need to 'toughen up', and somehow being offended is good for them.
I do not.
Okay.
Marilyn Manson.

Look at what happen there.
He was just a person doing some songs and look at what happened because people just can't deal with being offended. Look how much he got fucked up emotionally during his teenage-early twenty years. All because of what? a few songs that nobody forced anybody to listen to? Did you know he's been blamed for over 37 school shootings? Because of what? He offends people?

So yeah, I will say people need to grow a thicker skin.

Eminem as well.
David Bowie.
Alice Cooper.
Etc. list goes on.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
The-Traveling-Bard said:
They shouldn't be labeling people as sexist/racism DUE TO THEIR HUMOR SENSE to the extent that they online. It seems like every slightest joke now is the person is label as racist/whatever Is this the really over-sensitive-Potilical-Correctness we should have?

America has already started to ban books that are a few hundreds years old and to be a major part in art just due to PC and I am tired of it. I am tired over the fact people are heading into this over-sensitive-PC police state because they can't just look the other way and go on with their own damn lives.
You aren't comprehending this at all are you? That sounded meaner than I meant it to, but you really don't seem to understand what I'm saying. Or more likely you think it's wrong and thus refuse to accept it. You keep saying it's oversensitive political correctness. Sometimes yes it is, but once again you are telling them you think a certain way regardless of if you do or not. What you are saying is "people shouldn't get up set if I make a joke I know can be offensive.". Just because you say something as a joke doesn't take away the sexism and racism in the joke. By telling the joke you acknowledge that, and people won't just take that shit anymore. Why should people just walk away when your in the wrong and they oppose what you say and what they believe you represent? Plus...gonna point inadvertently you seem to be agreeing what your saying is wrong and jerkish, but you refuse to apologize for it. I dunno I'm of the opinion if you offend someone you don't have to regret what you said, but if it's accidental just say "I didn't mean it that way." But like I said...making a joke usually implies you agree with some aspect of the joke.

Once again also consider that your talking to strangers and you don't know their story. Making a rape joke to someone who may have been raped, a racist joke to someone who may have experienced bigotry....etc....You can't just chalk things up to being PC and say people should take it. Why should they?

That's a completely different subject. I don't feel like explaining why these situations differ *(ATM) and don't want to derail the thread. If you start another thread or PM me I would be interested in that discussion. ^_^

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Lionsfan said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:

Well I am not.

Stop judging them yo.

*rolls eyes*

Well this is the internet therefor I shouldn't even bother to spend a little brain power to determine if this person is being serious or not. In most cases I can generally tell if someone is just being a troll. Sure. I will admit sometimes it's harder to tell than others. Like the Steve Wilkos show I posted. I almost believed that he wasn't being serious and it was all just an act.

But just because this is the web is does not make it okay to throw around sexist/racist/other things just because it's harder to tell if they're being serious. Back in the day these were SERIOUS issues now they're just a joke it seems that people only throw around because they don't like someone else.

Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
Glongpre said:

I do not.
Okay.
Marilyn Manson.

Look at what happen there.
He was just a person doing some songs and look at what happened because people just can't deal with being offended. Look how much he got fucked up emotionally during his teenage-early twenty years. All because of what? a few songs that nobody forced anybody to listen to? Did you know he's been blamed for over 37 school shootings? Because of what? He offends people?

So yeah, I will say people need to grow a thicker skin.

Eminem as well.
David Bowie.
Alice Cooper.
Etc. list goes on.
And yet all of these are music artists which did not force their music on anyone, nor did they personally insult anyone. Were people outraged? Are they still outraged? Yes. But that's Freedom of Speech. They did not do it to hurt people. They did it communicate a message. Now, people might still disagree with the message, and that's fine, but there's a difference of them creating music, and them coming up and shouting it in someones face, someone they can probably realize will find it offensive (just as you and I can figure out that there is a high odds that someone finds racist jokes offensive).

So no, you can't compare them. I don't want to ban Freedom of Speech, I want you to limit your hurtful jokes in the presence of others, because it's the nice thing to do. Compare to 'Don't play violent, angry music in the presence of your timid, religious grand-mother who does not like violence', if you will.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
darlarosa said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:

You aren't comprehending this at all are you? That sounded meaner than I meant it to, but you really don't seem to understand what I'm saying. Or more likely you think it's wrong and thus refuse to accept it. You keep saying it's oversensitive political correctness. Sometimes yes it is, but once again you are telling them you think a certain way regardless of if you do or not. What you are saying is "people shouldn't get up set if I make a joke I know can be offensive.". Just because you say something as a joke doesn't take away the sexism and racism in the joke. By telling the joke you acknowledge that, and people won't just take that shit anymore. Why should people just walk away when your in the wrong and they oppose what you say and what they believe you represent? Plus...gonna point inadvertently you seem to be agreeing what your saying is wrong and jerkish, but you refuse to apologize for it. I dunno I'm of the opinion if you offend someone you don't have to regret what you said, but if it's accidental just say "I didn't mean it that way." But like I said...making a joke usually implies you agree with some aspect of the joke.

Once again also consider that your talking to strangers and you don't know their story. Making a rape joke to someone who may have been raped, a racist joke to someone who may have experienced bigotry....etc....You can't just chalk things up to being PC and say people should take it. Why should they?

That's a completely different subject. I don't feel like explaining why these situations differ *(ATM) and don't want to derail the thread. If you start another thread or PM me I would be interested in that discussion. ^_^
;-; I actually cross the line about rape jokes myself.
I don't even like talking about that subject. o.e
;-; So no thank you. I will not take you up on that offer.

Well okay so just because you experience a racism person in your life.. that means you can't enjoy a racist joke? Mmm.
I had people call me emo and gay. ... I still enjoy both jokes.

Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Lionsfan said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:
\

Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
Glongpre said:
And yet all of these are music artists which did not force their music on anyone, nor did they personally insult anyone. Were people outraged? Are they still outraged? Yes. But that's Freedom of Speech. They did not do it to hurt people. They did it communicate a message. Now, people might still disagree with the message, and that's fine, but there's a difference of them creating music, and them coming up and shouting it in someones face, someone they can probably realize will find it offensive (just as you and I can figure out that there is a high odds that someone finds racist jokes offensive).

So no, you can't compare them. I don't want to ban Freedom of Speech, I want you to limit your hurtful jokes in the presence of others, because it's the nice thing to do. Compare to 'Don't play violent, angry music in the presence of your timid, religious grand-mother who does not like violence', if you will.
Okay, Now I make my own thread about blonde jokes.
Did I shout at you?

I am at the work office sitting with my friends telling blonde jokes.
Did I shout at the blonde across the table?

Okay then.

Also my grandmother likes Marilyn Manson. ;D So she's kinda cool.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Lionsfan said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:
\

Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Realitycrash said:
Glongpre said:

Okay, Now I make my own thread about blonde jokes.
Did I shout at you?

I am at the work office sitting with my friends telling blonde jokes.
Did I shout at the blonde across the table?

Okay then.

Also my grandmother likes Marilyn Manson. ;D So she's kinda cool.
The Thread is covered by the CoC, so it won't be 'offending people' that gets you warned, it's breaking the CoC. Though if you weren't doing it here, but somewhere where it was legal, then no, I wouldn't mind. I got a few good ones myself, actually.

Shout at her? No. But if you can be reasonable sure that she can hear them, and that they are hurtful enough to maybe not tell in public, then it's enough. It's a judgement call, really. Most of the times, it's better to be safe than sorry, though.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Phasmal said:
Seriously Escapist.
Pardon me, but is that in reference to the OP or the site? Because I can assure you that they do not speak for anyone but himself/herself. He's just one man/lady/muppet/potato/etc. Anyway, back on topic. It's absolutely fine to make jokes among friends. Traveling-Bard, that kind of logic doesn't quite work on the internet. Tone is very difficult to get across. And everyone reads it differently. Statements are taken at face value.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Lionsfan said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
darlarosa said:

Well I am not.

Stop judging them yo.

*rolls eyes*

Have you ever heard of Poe's Law? It started off with just religious posts, but it really does envelop everything. Without a clear indication of how someone is posting, it's impossible to tell if they're being serious or just trying to make a stupid joke. And the sad part is that a lot of people aren't making jokes, and they're being serious when they post that sort of stuff.

And who said anything about it being "okay to be ignorant and stupid"? Where are you getting that from

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Dead Century said:
Phasmal said:
Seriously Escapist.
Pardon me, but is that in reference to the OP or the site? Because I can assure you that they do not speak for anyone but himself/herself. He's just one man/lady/muppet/potato/etc. Anyway, back on topic. It's absolutely fine to make jokes among friends. Traveling-Bard, that kind of logic doesn't quite work on the internet. Tone is very difficult to get across. And everyone reads it differently. Statements are taken at face value.
Sure this guy only speaks for himself, but lately there's been a pretty clear anti-female trend from a lot of posters on the Escapist

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Lionsfan said:
Sure this guy only speaks for himself, but lately there's been a pretty clear anti-female trend from a lot of posters on the Escapist
Ah. Well, my personal preference would still be to treat posters as individuals. Generalization isn't all that cool in my book. But I see your point.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Dead Century said:
Lionsfan said:
Ah. Well, my personal preference would still be to treat posters as individuals. Generalization isn't all that cool in my book. But I see your point.
I mean that's the plan, but for some of the posters on here (like Phasmal) who actually call these people out on that almost every time, and in return only see more and more posters choose to post sexist stuff (along with what is essentially looking the other way from some of the Mod staff) and it can get frustrating at times.