The Digital Distribution Wars Are On Again

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I have what is probably an unpopular opinion, but its based purely on my encounters. I do agree with everything that Shamus posted, but what he left out and what is probably something that will vary based on each users experience and region is customer service.

My order is: GoG, Origin, and only slightly behind Origin Steam.

Steam need to do more in the area customer service for me to really like using their product again outside of just having a stranglehold on game titles. It took me six weeks to get a game that I bought from Steam to be properly added to my account once, I was also perma-banned from their forums when looking for help because I said "I didn't want to download the game from the Steam servers again" because that promoted piracy, and finally they don't police their games to make sure they work for I bought Jade Empire on Steam when it was first released. I have had a few issues with Origin games and they were addressed in a day or two and even though I didn't use it at least they tried to give me some compensation with a cheesy coupon.

Origin is far from perfect for their store is a mess, I don't like how their library works, and I don't think they advertise the sales they have well enough. The problem is even with those problems at least I don't feel like a wallet for them to empty like I do when dealing with Steam support.

MazokuRanma

Oct 29, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
I prefer getting a game from GoG rather than from Steam, with or without Galaxy, also because of lack of DRM. But mainly because GoG really walks that extra mile for you by providing all sorts of easily downloadable extras that might interest you; manuals, maps, soundtracks, design documents... in that regard it's a better service than Steam.
GoG also verifies the game works properly on current operating systems. I purchased Dungeon Siege on Steam and never was able to get it to work properly. Ironically, I ended up picking up a physical copy and for some reason that works perfectly fine. GoG is always the safer bet on older games, though. Steam specifically notes that they aren't liable for any games that don't operate properly.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
Olas said:
GamersGate sure has an unfortunate name.

I just wish there was some way to transfer games from one distribution platform to another. I don't like having my "library" scattered across half a dozen different programs, which need to be separately installed, each of which requires a separate account/password. It seems like these platforms try to sell themselves on convenience, but they're only convenient if you stick to one of them.
That's GOG Galaxy, not fully active yet but with Steam it is
Crossplay

Crossplay-enabled games offer online play between GOG and Steam. Because where you buy your games shouldn't prevent you from playing with friends.
When launched they said it would apply wherever the game was bought. It's still a beta at the moment, but that's the final plan.