The dignity of grey and brown.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
There isn't enough water and cleaning rags to go around for each marine to polish his armor because he got it mussed by the terrain and/or the blood of his enemies. Realistically, once you devastate an area, there's so much free-floating particulate matter that you'd need a personal forcefield to keep it off of you. And really, that kinda' tech is best-used defending your body than keeping tidy.
Are you kidding? They anoint that armor in oils before going into battle, they burn incense around it while they pray to the machine spirit. They take care of their armor, they go into battle shining like the sun. They aren't using easily replaceable carapace armor, they use power armor.

Disco Biscuit

Mar 19, 2016
It's a western cultural thing; bright colors are either celebratory, or garish and cheap, dull tones are "serious". It's linked to the aspects of fashion that mimic that here, while in many other parts of the world, it's the other way around. The only people who can't afford to have some bright color in some parts of the world, are beggars or the totally destitute. In places where affording to maintain the dye in a cloth, keep it clean, is a sign that you still give a shit, it's taken differently.

Here, it's about cut, lines, etc. That aesthetic unfortunately starts to permeate culture beyond clothing and building paints and materials, and it's in our fucking games. It's not bad when it's done the way it's meant to be, with the use of materials and lines to convey what colors aren't. Often, you just get people hitting "Grey scheme" because they think "Bright is cheap and silly".

Part of it is probably also the perception of the most revered cultures from the West, such as Rome and Greece. What we have of them now is all marble and clay, or faded work on walls. It leaves the impression of colorlessness, where again, in its time and place it all was brightly painted, lacquered, and otherwise adorned.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
There isn't enough water and cleaning rags to go around for each marine to polish his armor because he got it mussed by the terrain and/or the blood of his enemies. Realistically, once you devastate an area, there's so much free-floating particulate matter that you'd need a personal forcefield to keep it off of you. And really, that kinda' tech is best-used defending your body than keeping tidy.
Are you kidding? They anoint that armor in oils before going into battle, they burn incense around it while they pray to the machine spirit. They take care of their armor, they go into battle shining like the sun. They aren't using easily replaceable carapace armor, they use power armor.
I'm saying after the fact, this is not feasible. They're probably fighting all day and all night to purge 'INSERT ENEMY HERE' from the area, and they do vehemently. There's no chance you can re-annoint until it's Miller Time.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
I'm saying after the fact, this is not feasible. They're probably fighting all day and all night to purge 'INSERT ENEMY HERE' from the area, and they do vehemently. There's no chance you can re-annoint until it's Miller Time.
Ehh, fighting all day is more of a imperial guard thing. For most encounters the space marine are about coming in, stomp fucking the enemy and leaving.

Disco Biscuit

Mar 19, 2016
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
I have to agree. There are incredibly high standards of uniform cleanliness in the military of the real world, today, but that doesn't apply when you're actually in the shit. Yeah, you clean up when you can, but if you're busily impaling green monsters for the glory of humanity, that shit is getting on you. I believe that you'll clean up later, but I'm yet to play "Warhammer: Eating MRE's And Chatting at FOB"

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
Ehh, fighting all day is more of a imperial guard thing. For most encounters the space marine are about coming in, stomp fucking the enemy and leaving.
Ah, come on. I've played a few of these games. They're not gonna be in and out like dropping in at a fast-food joint for lunch to-go. Aren't they in for the duration if you've got a serious Tyranid infestation? Isn't that about as dirty and viceral as it gets in 40K?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
Ah, come on. I've played a few of these games. They're not gonna be in and out like dropping in at a fast-food joint for lunch to-go. Aren't they in for the duration if you've got a serious Tyranid infestation? Isn't that about as dirty and viceral as it gets in 40K?
Well, the real big wars are the exception. I think canonically most fights are somewhat smaller scale. They might keep the imperial guard occupied for a long time, but at least with the fluff its rather common for the space marines to show up, stomp shit, and let the imperial guard mop up.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
Well, the real big wars are the exception. I think canonically most fights are somewhat smaller scale. They might keep the imperial guard occupied for a long time, but at least with the fluff its rather common for the space marines to show up, stomp shit, and let the imperial guard mop up.
Ah, well when I think of wartorn battlefields and people down in the dirt and the muck, I'm thinking longterm. The space marines are definitely super-chunky asskickers, no doubt, but I'm pretty sure that after a long day's work, they might find the evidence of their combat strewn about themselves as another badge of honor. The one where they wear the evidence of their victory in plain view.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
Ah, well when I think of wartorn battlefields and people down in the dirt and the muck, I'm thinking longterm. The space marines are definitely super-chunky asskickers, no doubt, but I'm pretty sure that after a long day's work, they might find the evidence of their combat strewn about themselves as another badge of honor. The one where they wear the evidence of their victory in plain view.
I'm pretty sure the first thing they would do in down time is clean the armor. It takes a lot of maintenance to keep military equipment going, leaving dirt and mud and crap on it makes malfunctions more likely. Since there arent any dice roles for armor malfunction, that implies they clean it.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Ehhh, Grey and Brown just need to be used sparingly. They - and other darker colours - can add a much-needed contrast to areas and give things a 'grim' look, it's just when they're over-used for damn near everything (or there's a grey/brown filter applied to shit) that it becomes a problem. It's kinda why in DoW II there was Drab-and-Gloomy Meridian then Bright-fucking-Green Typhon (and even bright-orange third-planet-I-can't-remember), to give it contrast and to make the Meridian missions like 'Hold the Gate against 3 Carnifexes when you're probably not equipped to deal with one' that much more serious given the sheer difference in colour pallets.

For a war-torn battlefield? Grey/brown's fine. Plus the bright-ass Space Marines stick out in that kind of environment. I certainly didn't have any complaints about the DoW III footage. Hell, given it was fucking alpha I'm on the edge of my seat to see what the fucking finished version is going to look like, that shit was amazing.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Grey and brown to me can be serious if used right, it worked in the first amnesia, and it's obviously going to be a factor in creating atmosphere, but what i think is an underlying gripe here is that so many games seem like they're trying to be serious, and a loot of them just strike me as coming from a similar thread as a brooding middleschooler. It's trying to be taken seriously, but it comes across as largely posturing without much substance. There's a reason we laugh at "Hatred" after all.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Fallout 3 was a game that made good use of grey and brown. It gave the game an atmosphere of walking aound a dying world, making all the bright spots stand out. Personally ii feel like fallout 4 was a bit too bright and colourful for a post-nuclear wasteland

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
I'm pretty sure the first thing they would do in down time is clean the armor. It takes a lot of maintenance to keep military equipment going, leaving dirt and mud and crap on it makes malfunctions more likely. Since there arent any dice roles for armor malfunction, that implies they clean it.
Given the massively overbuilt nature of the suits and equipment made for massively overbuilt men, I'm not so sure weapon jams and suit malfunctions can happen in this case. The best way to clear a bolter is to fire the bolter.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
Given the massively overbuilt nature of the suits and equipment made for massively overbuilt men, I'm not so sure weapon jams and suit malfunctions can happen in this case. The best way to clear a bolter is to fire the bolter.
I don't really remember the weapon malfunction rules but Im pretty sure every weapon can malfunction. I know the terminator version of the assault cannon can and so can the plasma guns, usually with hilarious effects for everyone but the guy shooting it.

Apr 25, 2009
Colours are complicated. I've been agonising about them a lot recently so I'm just going to spill my thoughts here. Not really making a point, just musing.

Grey and brown can be beautiful, somber and atmospheric or it can just be dull, boring and ugly. A lot of it depends on the depth of tone and subtle colours the art directors end up using in the palette. A lot of it also depends on tone. Tone of the story, gameplay, etc.

Sometimes a completely washed out, sepia tone brown palette is just a good choice for atmosphere. I feel like if you choose to use a palette like that your work requires other things to make it still be visually interesting though. Interesting designs, animations, effects, etc. It requires very careful use of contrast and light and shade if things are going to be at all distinct from another.

Here's a couple of examples. These are what I consider to be effective uses of a broadly 'grey and brown' colour scheme, mostly because they indulge some colour depth.

A couple of regular mid-gameplay screenshot from Bloodborne. I notice a lot of people saying Bloodborne is nothing but grey, but I really love the colours in this game. Beautiful, washed out, iridescent pastels of all sorts of tones. It is grey overall, but there's more to it than that and it ends up feeling beautifully atmospheric and otherworldly.

Shadow of the Colossus. This is another washed out, desaturated game but you don't hear that as a complaint as often. The reason is that it fits with the overall aesthetic and incorporates many different, chalky, natural tones. There's also this constant misty, dreamy quality to the visuals.

I see a lot of people desperate for more colours, and that's really understandable. I really love super colourful designs myself and the desaturated grey and brown palette has become waaaay overused. But overuse of saturated colours can sometimes negatively affect the overall visual tone of a piece of work. They don't necessarily fit or look good everywhere, just as grey and brown has a place and a purpose of its own. For example the work of H.R Giger would not have the incredible qualities it does if not for the ethereal hyper contrast of rich greys, whites and blacks with extremely subtle tinges of pink, blue and tan.

Just as Adventure Time or Bastion would not work nearly as well visually without their cascade of beautiful rich colours.

Blah blah, wanky waffley art shit. Hope someone enjoyed reading it at least.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
I don't really remember the weapon malfunction rules but Im pretty sure every weapon can malfunction. I know the terminator version of the assault cannon can and so can the plasma guns, usually with hilarious effects for everyone but the guy shooting it.
Oh? What kind of effects? I wanna hear this.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:

I'm assuming your all referring to Rogue Trader? If so, weapon jams aren't THAT bad. All weapons, unless they have a special skill, can jam, at which point their useless for a bit. What's dangerous is Plasma weapons - They have the 'Overheat' modifier, which means they don't jam. What they do is overheat, and when they overheat, you have two options - Drop it (Hurray, now you have to pick it up again, something not quite so easy in 40K sometimes) or takes the weapons damage to your arm, which can potentially blow the whole fucking limb off (And kill the gunner). It gets even worse if you have an unreliable plasma weapon (Can hit for double damage suddenly).

Plasma weapons truly are only for the foolhardy or the stupid.

Still, the warp powers table is 1000 times worse then any of the weapon failure or hit tables.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
FalloutJack said:
Worgen said:
It explodes, I think with a powerful enough explosion to pretty much just be instant death for the shooter and anyone within an inch of him. That is if I remember correctly.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Fun fact: grey and brown pallets are easier and cheaper to apply in games. They are already part of Unreal engine so it saves time and money to design everything with those colors.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Fun fact: grey and brown pallets are easier and cheaper to apply in games. They are already part of Unreal engine so it saves time and money to design everything with those colors.
...what?

Do gaming companies have to manually code new colors in, or are they locked behind a pay wall?