The Downward Spiral of Fight Club

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
The Downward Spiral of Fight Club

Trent Reznor and David Fincher have collaborated on a lot of films, but oddly Fight Club wasn't one of them.

Read Full Article

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
oh hey! fantasy scoreing! I'm not the only person to ever do this!

NIN actually lends himself really to this...I basically (in my head) matched "Year Zero" with Mass Effect 3 (go listen to vessel and tell me that isn't somone sucumbing to indoctrination/husification)

also a few songs from Linkin Parks Thousands suns (catalyst...huh?..huh?)

oh oh oh oh! and "the great below" (from his album the fragile) IS BIOSHCOK INFINITE BURIAL AT SEA

...this is probably why I like NIN so much

EDIT: AND "THE DAY THE WORLD WENT AWAY" IS A ZOMBIE SOOOOOOOONNNGGG!!!

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Vault101 said:

NIN actually lends himself really to this...I basically (in my head) matched "Year Zero" with Mass Effect 3 (go listen to vessel and tell me that isn't somone sucumbing to indoctrination/husification)

also a few songs from Linkin Parks Thousands suns (catalyst...huh?..huh?)

oh oh oh oh! and "the great below" (from his album the fragile) IS BIOSHCOK INFINITE BURIAL AT SEA

...this is probably why I like NIN so much

EDIT: AND "THE DAY THE WORLD WENT AWAY" IS A ZOMBIE SOOOOOOOONNNGGG!!!
I've done it as well, hell the first forum topic I made involved albums that could work as film scores. Funnily enough, I thought that NIN The Downward Spiral worked for Tetsuo: The Iron Man and I thought We're In This Together works for Kill La Kill.

OT Interesting topic I must say, I really want to watch Fight Club again now.

Velventian

Left here for the world to see
May 17, 2013
Haven´t thought about the connection between NIN and Fight club yet, gotta do some listening/watching later, the idea is very interesting and they certainly overlap in tone and themes.

I just think its pretty damn sad that Trent seems to have lost his edge.
The last 2 cds were pretty meh.
And trent used to be someone who walked the talk but then we went on and said thats the end for him, i still have my "Wave Goodbye" shirt from that tour, and whoopsy 2 years later he´s back like nothing happened, only not so good :/
I was really looking forward to another downward spiral or fragile but i guess that aint happening.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Finally! Someone who can write a really interesting article that's a pleasure to read and very insightful without shoving a ton of their politics down the reader's throat. See Bob, it can be done.

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for all the warm feedback! I have been doing film\album mashups for awhile (like Dark Side of Oz). It`s a fun hobby. The Animatrix is one of my favorite video sources for that, but Fantasia works too, and if you start NIN`s Year Zero at the right time during Metropolis there are quite a few "aha!" moments.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Hoooooooly shit this was a great read. I'm a big NIN fan, but I never made the connection of TDS to Fight Club. I knew that Only was almost certainly a reference, but damn that went deeper than I expected.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
LysanderNemoinis said:
Finally! Someone who can write a really interesting article that's a pleasure to read and very insightful without shoving a ton of their politics down the reader's throat. See Bob, it can be done.
Perhaps because this article had zero to do with anything political, so there was no political opinions to interject?

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
LarsInCharge said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Perhaps because this article had zero to do with anything political, so there was no political opinions to interject?
That doesn't stop people like Bob or any politically correct person from finding a way to put politics into everything. Like how in mentioning there's a third Taken movie, he had to make sure to get in a little PC jab.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
This album is a goddamn work of art.

I was always under the impression that it was about the mind going through a heroin trip, Trent was an addict at the time

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Although a long-time Reznor fan, I still consider The Dust Brothers' soundtrack to be the quintessential (and an inseparable) accompaniment to the film.

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
s_h_a_d_o said:
Although a long-time Reznor fan, I still consider The Dust Brothers' soundtrack to be the quintessential (and an inseparable) accompaniment to the film.
I completely agree with you about that. Their music is a perfect backdrop for the film. In researching this article, I came across a bit of internet misunderstanding. Apparently numerous people believe the Fight Club intro was a NIN song, but it was pure Dust Brothers!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
As a nearly lifelong NIN fan I have to say this is a well done article, I want to see more of this please. (background: as a nine-year-old I bought one of my first cassette tapes on the basis of "oh that cover looks cool!" It turned out to be NIN's Pretty Hate Machine, thus solidifying my love for all things Nails for life. Oh I was a messed up kid.)

Downward Spiral: Easily one of Trent's best, if not the best, album. I've spent years self-remixing and DJ-style spinning vinyls just this record alone. Beautiful from start to finish, and so very poignant. I felt that Fight Club fits this album quite spectacularly and being a fan of the author, I knew well this guy totally listened to that album. Hell, maybe thats why the twisted nature didn't surprise me all that much, and the movie (give credit to the Dust Brothers for an awesome soundtrack) was just perfect along that tone. I'd love to see if there's a way to re-score the movie with Downward Spiral and/or Further Down the Spiral's remixes.

EDIT: Also got to give a shout out to Trent Reznor as the artist who gets his fans. All his shows are about a fan experience, I've seen 'em three times. Once on the Fragility 2.0 tour, once on the With Teeth tour and lastly at Lights in the Sky. All three were not a concert but a fucking experience to behold. And Trent really connects with his fans, feeds off them and puts on one hell of a show... so unique. Best. Concerts. Ever. And another nod to Trent for releasing The Slip for absolutely free after he split with Interscope, kind of as a fuck you and kind of as a thank you to the fans.

EDIT the 2nd: Honestly I can't believe I didn't give credit to David Fincher for Fight Club being awesome. Dude has been one of my go to directors since Se7en. I've only really disliked one movie by him, and that was Panic Room, not because it was bad but it just didn't match up to his other films. Also The Game is one of my favorite all-time movies, I didn't realize at the time I watched it who directed it, then I saw Se7en and bought The Game and realized I'd known about it.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Very good article BUT I can't stand people calling Fight Club's protagonist as "Jack". He is NOT called Jack. He is only referred to as Narrator in the credits, and he is never called anything but Tyler Durden in both the book and the movie. The misconception of him being called Jack comes from a recurring line in the story where he states "I am Jack's ..." (my favorite being "I am Jack's wasted life", which I kid you not was the message printed next to my photo in my graduation's invitation).

I never realized how much Only has lyrics completely related to Fight Club. "i just made you up to hurt myself" and "there is no you, there is only me".... Color me impressed.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
LysanderNemoinis said:
That doesn't stop people like Bob or any politically correct person from finding a way to put politics into everything. Like how in mentioning there's a third Taken movie, he had to make sure to get in a little PC jab.
LarsInCharge said:
is the inclusion of women and minorities in media [I/]really[/I] political?

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Vault101 said:

Would it be derailing the thread for us all to list out favorite fantasy scores? I'd recommend matching Asylum by Disturbed with Dead Rising 2.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Adam Locking said:
Would it be derailing the thread for us all to list out favorite fantasy scores? I'd recommend matching Asylum by Disturbed with Dead Rising 2.
heh...disturbed...that takes me back...

EDIT: seriously though "The Great below" and Burial at sea fit together eeeryly well

its not a lyric heavy song but I can only remember fragments just off the top of my head, I see this as being from Elizabeths perspective (even if its sung by a guy) it could apply to Brooker too but the mood of the song lends it self more to the overbearing atmosphere of rapture rather than Columbia

[spoiler/]

[I/]staring at the sea...[/I]

self explanatory were in rapture

[I/]will she come?[/I]

could refer to a number of things...Sally or Elizabeth or some metaphorical thing

[I/]is there hope for me after all is said and done[/I]
also self explanatory

[I/]anything at any price, all of this for you[/I]
Elizabeth and brooker have bother gone to huge lengths...the "you" (who comes up repeatedly) could be Sally from Elizabeth's perspective or Elizabeth from Brookers

[I/]all the spoils of a wasted life, all of this for you [/I]
Elizabeths life seems wasted in a way

[I/]all the world has closed her eyes, tired faith all worn and thin, for all we could have done, for all that could have been[/I]
again disillusionment, regret [b/]possabilities[/b]

[I/]ocean pulls me close and whispers in my ear the destiny I've chose all becoming clear the currents have their say, the time is drawing near washes me away, makes me disappear[/I]
this ones the most telling....Elizabeth before the moment of her death understands how it all comes together, her "fate" or destiny she dies in rapture under the ocean, "makes me disappear" refering to perhaps the changing of rifts/ect to erase different versions out of existence...even herself

[I/]and I decend from grace, in arms of undertow, I will take my place, in the great below[/I]
decend from grace could mean bother her loss of innocence and the bad things she has done...also a literal decent, the great below could be the afterlife

[I/]I can still feel you, even so far away[/I]
I don't know could be anything

[/spoiler]